tabata training

simwilli
simwilli Posts: 36
edited August 2011 in Training, fitness and health
Hi, Anybody out there using Tabata training. I'm currently doing a couple of early morning 1 hour workouts during the week. Just thought Tabata intervals might benefit me with my week day workout durations being short. Can anyone recommend times / workouts etc.

Cheers
Simwilli

Comments

• NapoleonD did a long thread about it with power data IIRC. However I can't find any posts by him using the search function and when he posts now it has him as 'Guest'.

This "NapD Guest" does refer to the training effect he found using tabata in this post though
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12764254
  • DaveL
    DaveL Posts: 188
    Protocol is 20 seconds of all out work, followed by 10 seconds of rest repeated 8 times. Simple but brutal, I used them on long turbo sessions to break up the boredom, you will be surprised how quick 10 minutes can go when you know there's a Tabata coming :)

Dave
  • TheBullet
    TheBullet Posts: 58
    NapoleonD did a long thread about it with power data IIRC
    Do you mean this thread?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ight=power

Take a look at the anaerobic capacity workouts.

simwilli, I did a lot of these workouts during the spring and can honestly say that I'm riding better than ever (in my 4th year of cycling) an put it all down to these intervals.

Good luck
    Winners never quit and quitters never win!!
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I like them. Not only do they work (no benefit at all for stamina but great for intensity) but they're about the only training I can do on the turbo that doesn't make me want to sell my bike... I actually quite enjoy them.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    1 thing is that it is not 8 x 20 secs on / 10 off, it is n x 20 secs on / 10 secs off with n being the maximum number you can do.
    I've found that when I try these, sometimes I am reaching 10, 12 and can keep a decent pace but the 20 sec effort has not been hard enough. If I give it real welly then 5 or 6 is sometimes the most and each effort is a 20 second max sprint. There may well be trainng gain from doing a higher number at a sub-max effort but the Tabata protocol I thought was not a set number.

Having googled for tabata training a lot of people seem to set it at 8 reps so that may or may nor be the correct protocol but a few years ago when I first heard of this the protocol was NOT to do a strict 8 reps.
  • TheBullet wrote:
    NapoleonD did a long thread about it with power data IIRC
    Do you mean this thread?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ight=power

Nice find but no, in the thread I'm referring to it was all about the tabata and he posted various downloads from his power meter output over the weeks he was doing the protocol, which is how he can say with relative certainty (for him) VO2 max power was up but everything else got worse.
    andyrr wrote:
    1 thing is that it is not 8 x 20 secs on / 10 off, it is n x 20 secs on / 10 secs off with n being the maximum number you can do.
    I've found that ... If I give it real welly then 5 or 6 is sometimes the most and each effort is a 20 second max sprint.

Thank goodness for that. I've never completed 8 sets at sprint pace. My max effort becomes very laboured before I reach 8.