What TV

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited July 2011 in The hub
Need some advise on what TV to buy. Looking to spend around £500 on a 32-37 inch screen.

Looking for a TV that has a good picture quality especially deep blacks and full HD resolution. I don't mind sacrificing features for a good picture.

I aim to connect a media PC to it at some point in the future so that can handle all fancy features like media steaming and internet connectivity etc.

Comments

• camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Would have to say a nice Panasonic Plasma can get a 37in or even a 42in at around that price if you shop around
    also don't forget to look in the panasonic shop as they do have some great deals with free bluray players and five year warranty
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • jairaj
    Im the size to 32-37 inch due to the size of my living room. I think a 42 would be a bit too big.

Also do plasma tvs come that small? Have you got any particular models you can recommend?
  • camerauk
    I had same problem with space and went for a Panasonic 37in plasma
    been a great tv its just coming up to five years old now
    review of new one one here
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/Panasonic ... _TV_review
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    what about this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P3 ... ce_title_0

but make sure you shop around as they can be had for around £399 :D
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    What is wrong with you, recommending plasma?!?!

It's shite.

LED is so much better and slightly more up to date ;), for 500 you can get a nice Samsung LED 37". I bought a 40" LED Samsung a few months back for a proper bargain price (the website price was fubared but they honored it), the picture is ridiculously better than our LCD TV.

Plus it uses less electric to run than LCD/Plasma.

i.e. - http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/19862888/Samsung-37D5520-37-inch-Freeview-HD-LED-TV/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:19862888|prd:19862888
  • camerauk
    Briggo wrote:
    What is wrong with you, recommending plasma?!?!

It's shite.

LED is so much better and slightly more up to date ;), for 500 you can get a nice Samsung LED 37". I bought a 40" LED Samsung a few months back for a proper bargain price (the website price was fubared but they honored it), the picture is ridiculously better than our LCD TV.

Plus it uses less electric to run than LCD/Plasma.

i.e. - http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/19862888/Samsung-37D5520-37-inch-Freeview-HD-LED-TV/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:19862888|prd:19862888

LED is good but the picture is not as good as a plasma the blacks are not black they are grey and the picture looks so false but that is just my opinion :D
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • +1 for LED

http://www.richersounds.com/product/led ... g-37le4500

Top quality 37" LED, 1080p, and if you're concerned over reliability a 5yr warranty for £35

Google it, gets top reviews too.... 8)
  • looks like they're selling fast though!
  • jairaj
    thanks for the pointers so far guys.

I didn't realise plasma screens came in sizes as small as 37inch. Are there any other manufacturers as well as Panasonic that do them in that size? A quick search online doesn't find anything.

Im currently swaying towards a plasma if I can get it in 37 inch as I enjoy the deep blacks and good contrast levels. Or have things moved along and has LCD caught up on that?

Briggo what makes you think plasma screens are crap? I thought the only down side was that they only come in larger sizes?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    LED are ok but they can not compare to Palsma's on blacks due to the need for back or edge lighting on them.

For that kind of value i'd be looking at the Panny Plasma's and ignoring the 3d and extra,s as that can happen mostly in additional boxes get the best picy you can. And the blacks on the plasma really make for a cinematic and exciting picture compared to the slightly forced tones of an LED tv :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Dunno, I have a Panasonic Plasma, picture does not compare to my Toshiba LCD! I'll find model numbers.
  • Thewaylander
    Compared alot of LED edge lits and so on to the current crop of panny plasma's and the depth of black is supurb.

Its a physical limitation of LCD tv no matter what back lighting it uses cold cathode or edge lit LED, due to the fact the pixels produce no light so they must be illuminated from behind, put a light through black and you get grey, plasma is self illumintated pixels no back lighting so if the pixel is black there is no light out put, hence the infinite contrast ration on plasma.

LED are very good with bright bright pictures which have an instant wow factor, it's something you have to live with for a while though and the good blacks on plasma wins.

Worst test films are anything animated, best test films are dark and gritty to see if you can get details like watchmen :)
  • Thewaylander
    Compared alot of LED edge lits and so on to the current crop of panny plasma's and the depth of black is supurb.

Its a physical limitation of LCD tv no matter what back lighting it uses cold cathode or edge lit LED, due to the fact the pixels produce no light so they must be illuminated from behind, put a light through black and you get grey, plasma is self illumintated pixels no back lighting so if the pixel is black there is no light out put, hence the infinite contrast ration on plasma.

LED are very good with bright bright pictures which have an instant wow factor, it's something you have to live with for a while though and the good blacks on plasma wins.

Worst test films are anything animated, best test films are dark and gritty to see if you can get details like watchmen :)
  • Thewaylander
    Ooo forgot to mention though power consumption on plasma is like 5 times LED edge lit though :) and they can keep your front room a tad warm :p
  • supersonic
    Aren't plasma cells charged though, so never truly black? I agree that most offer very good contrast ratios but of course is more to overall quality than just this.
  • Thewaylander
    Indeed, there is but due to the lack of back lighting skin tones and colour palletes are more natural that LCD based TV (though less instantly striking) and there is less chance of edge bleed as well :)

the colour thing is why LCD looks so good with computer animations as there really bright and over bold with colours :) which provides drematic impact but not true detail :)
  • supersonic
    Yeah, I hate the shops that just show anims, is not a realistic demo!

Now where's my old CRT ;-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:

Now where's my old CRT ;-)

Dunno, but if you find it it might be worth keeping it. I recon in a few years they'll start to be 'retro cool' and good quality ones start to be worth some money.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    dabs have an offer on TVs at the mo according to the subject of an email I received today. Haven't looked at it myself.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.