Gearing on a 29er

deej_mtb
deej_mtb Posts: 4
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just looking at 29ers for the first time, and considering buying a set of rims and a frame. Do they require different gearing to standard 26inch bikes? I know the ratios are actually the same, but each gear will feel slightly harder because of the increase in wheel diameter. I'm using SRAM 2x10 at the moment so my granny gear is a bit "tougher" than normal anyway. Thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is true, the gears are upped by around 10-11% for an equivalent depth tyre.

36t on the cassette can help, or smaller chainrings to bring the ratios down to the same.
  • salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    Did you not hear? On a 29er you aren't allowed gears. People will laugh at you. :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    I run 2x10 sram XX on my 29er and yes I notice its down a couple of gears compared to my 26" and to me that was a bit of a pita to start with and tbh there are still some local climbs I strugle with, but getting better so thats got to be a good thing right..!
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    I have XT triple on mine with a 24 granny ring and 36 cassette. I am going to go 2x10 but rather than keep the XX chainset I have (26/39) I've decided to sell it and get the X0 that's due out with either 22/36 (probably) or 24/38.

I do manage to get up really steep stuff but think I would appreciate the lower gear and be able to pedal a bit faster.

There is quite a difference when you are next to a normal bike going up the hills.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • deej_mtb
    deej_mtb Posts: 4
    Thanks guys. Just putting it out there. Did 100k on Sunday with the 2x10's and struggled with some steep climbs even on a 26, but that could be my fitness. Not sure if I regret going down that road yet (i'm a bit of a noob and I read they were good for XC!)
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I have put a 12-36 cassette on both my 29ers.

The only cassette i could find at the time was deore and they are heavy. I find the 12-36 is the better option for the 29.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    They don't require higher gearing, still using an 11-32 (3x9) here. If cash allowed I'd swap to 2x10 with 11-36 I think, but it's no huge issue, I generally climb in a bigger gear with my 29er than my Meta anyway.