One wheel on my wagon

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
and I'm not rolling along!

Just found a split (1/2") at the base of one of the spokes on my Tricross - looks like the wheel has peeled away from the spoke itself, so was clearly the major buckle (which I repaired ) and didn't notice some time ago.

I now need some replacements - I've got Alex Ace-19 wheels on there at the moment, so does any know of any suitable replacements?

I'd prefer something that can take my 15 stone frame (with panniers / rucksack) and capable of light off-road - basically a like for like replacement

I personally have no idea, so need some advice and guidance on this one.

Thanks all!
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Various opinions given here. If you afford a couple of hundred quid I strongly recommend hand-built wheels and have been delighted with those supplied by Spa Cycles.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Kieran_Burns
    fired an email off to Spa - thanks for the link!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • You're welcome KB.

Spa cycles strike me as very much old school, so I'm not sure how well they do email or that interweb thing. You might get a better response from an old-fashioned phone call.

I seem to recall Sketchley may have used Harry Rowlands who also has a good reputation.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Spa cycles strike me as very much old school, so I'm not sure how well they do email or that interweb thing.

They have a Youtube channel :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You're welcome KB.

Spa cycles strike me as very much old school, so I'm not sure how well they do email or that interweb thing. You might get a better response from an old-fashioned phone call.

+1 on that. A phone call is much the best way to communicate with Spa. It's a proper Yorkshire shop!

BTW, very happy with the wheels they built for my Dawes - Rigida Snyper on Deore LX hubs.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X

• Yeah good price but you aren't comparing apples with apples. For occasional riding, or for an inexpensive bike the R500's make lots of sense, but for a regular commuter and to make the most of a quality bike I'd still say the durability and comfort of proper hand built wheels make them a worthy investment.

You pays the money and make the choice....
  • I built my commuting wheels after getting advice and parts from Spa. Again, phone them up, they're really helpful. Mine are Rigida Chrina rims on Tiagra hubs with Sapim Race spokes (36 spokes, because the hubs were £15 the pair from Ribble). They have a superb reputation for wheel-building, the bloke knew the required spoke lengths off the top of his head when I rang.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173

bought a pair of these from Merlin last week - arrived next day. Look good and if they're as good as my R500s have been, I'll have no complaints. Sure they're not light etc etc, blah blah who cares if they're reliable?

Also strongly tempted by these.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-kham ... -wheelset/
  • Kieran_Burns
    Deore hubs built into Rigida Snyper rims now being built by Spa cycles - thanks for the advice on that one!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Deore hubs built into Rigida Snyper rims now being built by Spa cycles - thanks for the advice on that one!

Great stuff! They sound very much like the CX friendly version of my wheels. Let us know how they turn out. 32 or 36 spokes? Oh, and did they sell you cheaper wheels than you'd originally wanted? Every time I've tried to buy stuff from them, they've persuaded me to go for something a bit cheaper. :D
  • Kieran_Burns
    £148 for the pair and I'm not sure whether they're 32 or 36 spoke - never thought to ask!

I never mind paying a little more for quality, and it sounds like I'm getting that :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Glad you have found something you fancy. I hope you'll be as happy with them as I have been with mine. Do post your thoughts after you have given them a good testing though.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I'm just hoping for a lighter pair that I don't need to keep using the spoke spanner to straighten once a week.

The roads here are a bit crap but I've never needed to sort out my Madone wheels once yet.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I can count my spokes if it helps!

I haven't touched mine with a spoke key since I got them. Mind you, I don't weigh much so I have the advantage there. BTW - I just went for the LX hubs because they are shinier than the standard Deore.
    Faster than a tent.......