Headlight problem

mumrar
mumrar Posts: 21
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Since March 30th I've been back in a bike for getting to and from work. In that time I've had two front headlights, the first being replaced due to the problem which has now occurred with the new one. Both of the lights are LED and the front section unscrews to give access to the batteries. When I ride over bumpy sections the lights brightness fluctuates, sometimes going totally off! I tried new batteries halfway tonight, no change, and this is only the second time I've changed the batteries since the light was new.

I am trying to skimpy with the batteries, so let's just say they come in bulk and are not world renowned. Could that be a factor? Both the lights are different models and manufacturer, just designed around the same principle.

Any help greatly appreciated, as I ride most nights after dark from work a minimum of nearly 14 miles.

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Basically sounds like a bad contact somewhere, perhaps you're not screwing the cap down hard enough? Or perhaps they're just cheap, rubbish lights! Hard to tell without knowing the brand and model...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mumrar
    edited July 2011
    Silly phone.
  • mumrar
    The first was a Halfords brand one, this second one is not, cost about £40 just for the light. Both of them have a short 'throw' to the screw action before they click into place.
  • mumrar
    The first was a Halfords brand one, this second one is not, cost about £40 just for the light. Both of them have a short 'throw' to the screw action before they click into place which I obviously check I have done. I don't know if I'm just unlucky, or it is a weakness of this type of design.

I've ridden about 900 miles with this light and the roads have been sufficiently rough to rattle the screws that hold the pedals together apart!The first was a Halfords brand one, this second one is not, cost about £40 just for the light. Both of them have a short 'throw' to the screw action before they click into place which I obviously check I have done. I don't know if I'm just unlucky, or it is a weakness of this type of design.

I've ridden about 900 miles with this light and the roads have been sufficiently rough to rattle the screws that hold the pedals together apart!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Well, it's very hard to tell without seeing it. It definitely sounds like a bad contact though, low battery power wouldn't cause it to flicker and switch off over bumps. If it's new, take it back. Unless you're riding a particularly rough, boneshaker of a road, it shouldn't develop bad contacts like that, most bike lights are built to resist road buzz. I've been using a Fenix L2D as my front light for quite a few years now and it never flickers....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    With some batteries, there may be excess plastic sleeving which can obstruct the contacts or push against them, reducing contact pressure. Try trimming this sleeving back.