So, which shorts

rudyardmtb
rudyardmtb Posts: 54
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
I commute daily and now realise i need to get some quality shorts, for those that commute what type of shorts do you ride in? Not to fussed about the price (though not assos, rapha stupid prices).

Chris

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Are you going to change when you get to work or wear them all day?

What is your budget?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rudyardmtb
    like i said, not to stupid price wise but looking up to £80-£90, bib shorts as well, just prefer them to ride in. more thinking of the comfort factor on the derriere.

Change at work, dry em out then cycle home in em as well.
    Cheers
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    DHB's at Wiggle are fantastic shorts IMHO...

Plus I got mine for £7.60 a pair in the clearance bit :wink:
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    80-90 pounds will get you a nice set of santini shorts! ive got those and there great shorts either that or some gore shorts :D
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    If you're commuting 5 days a week, I would splash out on 3 pairs of 30 quid dhb bibs rather than one pair of 90 quid efforts . . .

General VFM on dhb shorts is hard to beat. That said, if you can find any Castelli Free Aero Race bibs going cheap i.e. less than 100, get them too - best.shorts.ever
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    +1 DHB at Wiggle - awesome value for money even the mid range ones are great for around 100 miles.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    +1 DHB at Wiggle - awesome value for money even the mid range ones are great for around 100 miles.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Didn't get on with DHB shorts; Shutt VR on the otherhand have been superb and at £40 are very well priced.
  • rudyardmtb
    thanks for the replies. just interested as to why you didn't get on with the DHB shorts, had planned to buy some last week but going away this week so put it off?

Chris
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Nothing wrong with them just had loads of chaffing with them, I guess the Shutt suit me better. They also chaffed a little but have broken in nicely so just got a second pair.

With your budget I'd buy both, makes sense to try different brands.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    I didnt get on with the dhb ones, but the Gore Contest bib-shorts work well, and i got them at Evans discounted to £50, normally £75. I have two, and alternate them daily for the commute. 45min wash at 30degC and hang out to dry good as new... considering I use them every day and at least once every other weekend thats 37p a wearing - good value considering I get no soreness at all...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rudyardmtb
    cheers fellas. Next question does anyone use chamois cream? if so do you put it on the shorts or on your, you know, delicate parts.?
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    For commuting i use the decathlon basic ones, under a tenner each and one of the few that actually come in a size that gives you proper leg room.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    rudyardmtb wrote:
    cheers fellas. Next question does anyone use chamois cream? if so do you put it on the shorts or on your, you know, delicate parts.?

Up to you! You can do both. Personally I whack it on my arse where the saddle will be touching and maybe some on the town halls for a treat :lol:

I find I don't need it on rides under 50 miles.

PS I'm mostly wearing giordana tenax bibs.
  • On a sub note, went with the consensus and bought some DHB shorts. Without doubt the WORST shorts i have ever worn, should have saved my money and bought some sandpaper instead, they are so frikken uncomfortable.

So will be spending my money on some quality shorts, any thoughts............
  • You say that Assos shorts are stupid prices; but if you look around, you'd get a pair for £90 without too much trouble, and they are crazy comfy, far, far better than the still quite good Endura shorts I also use.

Don't bash expensive kit until you've tried it (and don't bash expensive kit and then say you've got £90 to spend on shorts!).
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Giordana do great bib shorts which can be had for around the 90 quid mark if you shop around. The Tenax are very good and the Body Clone are awesome. I have 1 of each.

I also had Sugoi RS for which were about 90 quid. They were very good shorts but the stitching pattern round the pad was all zig-zagged which looked a bit funky and due to all the stretching in that area they started to develop little holes. A disappointing design feature which ruined an otherwise great pair of shorts.