Rear Tyre: Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph?

shm_uk
shm_uk Posts: 683
edited July 2011 in MTB buying advice
I am planning on fitting a Nobby Nic 2.4 up front, but can't decide what would be the best partner for this on the rear...

I ride mostly around the Peak District (pretty rocky) and to a lesser extent trail centres (generally more dusty hardpack, smoother)

With our great British weather, also consider which is best if it's a bit wet under-wheel (I'm not looking for a mud tyre, just something that's not going to be hopeless at the merest hint of a puddle).

I believe, in general, Rons give better grip in wet conditions but Ralphs roll faster in the dry and last longer (?)

Ron's seem to be more fragile than Ralph's (?)

Finally, should I go for 2.25" or 2.4"?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 2.25 is pretty chunky - have a NN front and Racing Ralph on the back of an XC test bike (Evo), works very well, lots of grip in all conditions.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Me as a person or not a low mass run a 2.4 NN on the front and a 2.4 Ralph on the rear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    shm_uk wrote:
    ...Rons give better grip in wet conditions but Ralphs roll faster in the dry and last longer (?)
    Rons hang on in there unless it's proppa muddy
    shm_uk wrote:
    ...Ron's seem to be more fragile than Ralph's (?)
    Neither of them are exactly indestructable but Rons are based on the skinnier Fred carcass and this, combined with the ultra-grippy rubber, means they wear out faster than yesterday's news, tear up pretty easily 'just riding around' and will pinch flat if you don't consult your Excel pressure/terrain chart.
    shm_uk wrote:
    ...Finally, should I go for 2.25" or 2.4"?
    With a 2.4 Nic I would go for a 2.4 or 2.25 Ralph. 2.25 Nic & Ron is a killer combination if you simply have to have the best and have a pit crew/support truck.
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    Sorry to hijack but I had a tear in a ralph on the rear caused by rocks. It was on the inside corner of an outer tread block as though there had been an attempt to rip the block off leaving a 4-5mm slit on the inside it. I was running tubeless and it was too big to seal. I've patched it on the inside and will refit as it's pretty new. It's the snakeskin version.

Anyway, what is this pressure/terrain chart you mention? How much extra pressure should I add for rocky terrain? I was running about 38 psi but I weigh about 100Kg kitted up.

I run a Nobby Nic up front by the way and much prefer it to Ralph front and rear which I tried for a while.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy