Mixing team shorts and jerseys

garnett
garnett Posts: 196
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
What's the deal? My view as always is if the team kit costs even £5 less than the plain version then I'm happy to wear some sponsors to wear the same quality kit for less money.

If one team's bibs are cheap and another does a cheap jersey, I wear them.

My gut and my £600 bike should mean everyone's clear on whether I actually think I could ride for the teams.

Is this the ultimate in cycling fashion faux pas?

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I mix and match. Wear whats comfy, wear what you like.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Apart from looking like you got dressed in the dark,I see no issue. 8)
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    Just wear standard issue black shorts with the team jersey of your choice. No probs, no worries.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You stinker.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think it is fine as long as you finish the look off by wearing a small cotton cycling cap (preferrably with a different team logo to either of the ones curently worn) on back to front, and a pair of these with some nice calf length black socks:

Sandals.png
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think it is fine as long as you finish the look off by wearing a small cotton cycling cap (preferrably with a different team logo to either of the ones curently worn) on back to front, and a pair of these with some nice calf length black socks:

Sandals.png

You sir are a pervert and there cannot possibly be a market for cycling sandals surely????

Come on, hands up any owners of these abominations
  • garnett
    My prevailing style is "dressed in the dark", so no problem there. That said most team jerseys and bibs look like they were designed in the dark even as single items.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    pauldavid wrote:
    You sir are a pervert and there cannot possibly be a market for cycling sandals surely????

Extremely popular in the audax community I believe....
    More problems but still living....
  • pauldavid
    amaferanga wrote:
    pauldavid wrote:

Is that an admission of ownership, you seem to know where they might be popular?? :shock:

Let's look at this realistically and put cycling to one side for a second.

If you were going for a day out with your parents as a child and your father had those on you would have feigned some sort of illness to not be seen out with him wearing the offending article.

As an adult coming across another adult wearing similar you would have to make a mental note that they were definately not "babysitting" material if you know what I mean.

So surely adding the ability to attach cleats is only encouraging a quick getaway from the bushes behind the primary school fence on bike.
  • amaferanga
    pauldavid wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    pauldavid wrote:

Is that an admission of ownership, you seem to know where they might be popular?? :shock:

If you were going for a day out with your parents as a child and your father had those on you would have feigned some sort of illness to not be seen out with him wearing the offending article.

As an adult coming across another adult wearing similar you would have to make a mental note that they were definitely not "babysitting" material if you know what I mean.

So surely adding the ability to attach cleats is only encouraging a quick getaway from the bushes behind the primary school fence on bike.

I can assure you that I do not and never have owned a pair of cycling sandals!
  • pauldavid
    amaferanga wrote:
    pauldavid wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    pauldavid wrote:

As an adult coming across another adult wearing similar you would have to make a mental note that they were definitely not "babysitting" material if you know what I mean.

Your not ruling out normal sandals that may resemble these????? :shock: :D
  • garnett
    amaferanga wrote:
    owned =/= worn

Amaferanga is a guaranteed paediatrician aicmfp
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Garnett wrote:

You sir, are the Antichrist. :o
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    amaferanga wrote:
    Methinks he doth protest too much...
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • garnett
    You sir, are the Antichrist. :o
    Don't worry, I've not been here long, and already I've read some threads about a brand called Rapha, which I have now started to covet.

Shortly I will decide value-for-money and training-over-spending are all ridiculous notions, and I'll fit right in!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Garnett wrote:
    What's the deal? My view as always is if the team kit costs even £5 less than the plain version then I'm happy to wear some sponsors to wear the same quality kit for less money.

My gut and my £600 bike should mean everyone's clear on whether I actually think I could ride for the teams.

Vomit.gif
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • garnett
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Vomit.gif

But how can you say that without seeing what they look like?

ggsunorange.jpgsmall_420_634157783862530000_Liquigas_2010_giro_pink_bib_shorts.jpg
  • amaferanga
    chiark wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Methinks he doth protest too much...

Yeah right....
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    depends on what your wearing, i aint gonna put on my Rabobank Bibshorts, Saxobank jersey, HTC highroad gloves and cofidis overshoes am i ;)

black shorts and bright top if anything.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    pauldavid wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Sandals.png

They are absolutely brilliant for cycle touring in hot weather. My wife and I wear ours as soon as it's warm enough. I get really hot feet when the temperature gets into the 20s and these are the answer. The only disadvantage is the curious foot tan lines :) I always rode without socks anyway in Summer; the sandals are much better.

Someone mentioned looking like he got dressed in dark ... I always look like that whether cycling or not.
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    To the OPer, wear what you like.

Personally I avoid "replica" kit and like to dress in a co-ordinated style, rather than look like I purchased my clobber in the dark, rummageing in a lucky-dip bargain bucket. :)
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • To the OP. I doubt what you get in a shop is what the pros wear. They probably have custom fitted clothing which they can afford to chuck after each race. The clothes you buy need to last a few washes, printing needs to be fade proof etc. I'm not a clothing manufacturer so I don't know what else they'd do to the clothes, but I highly doubt a pro cyclist at the highest level wears off the rack clothes.

I'd just wear what's comfortable and leave the fashion/kit judgements to the people who've got nothing better to do than judge me for it.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Very true, I have this years Team SKY short sleeved jersey which is very nice. It has a 1/4 zip though. While watching the tour I noticed the team riders have a full length zip, so I dare say the ones joe public gets to buy are not quite the same. Just like other sports wear really, football shirts, motorsport clothing etc.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    andy46 wrote:
    Very true, I have this years Team SKY short sleeved jersey which is very nice. It has a 1/4 zip though. While watching the tour I noticed the team riders have a full length zip, so I dare say the ones joe public gets to buy are not quite the same. Just like other sports wear really, football shirts, motorsport clothing etc.

My 2010 Sky jersey has a full zip!!! :P :P

I pair this with black bibs as i aint paying £70-80 for sky bibs - although CRC have movistars on offer and i may treat myself...

OP wear what you like - its lycra its never gonna look great.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Garnett wrote:

Did you earn it to wear it though?

Just askin like...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    rubertoe wrote:
    andy46 wrote:

My 2010 Sky jersey has a full zip!!! :P :P

I pair this with black bibs as i aint paying £70-80 for sky bibs - although CRC have movistars on offer and i may treat myself...

OP wear what you like - its lycra its never gonna look great.

Aha that must be why the 2010 jersey is more expensive than the 2011 version, doesn't matter I like it 8)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • garnett
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Garnett wrote:

Did you earn it to wear it though?

Just askin like...

Love n hugs

DD
    Oh definitely.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I must say I am a little confused about the constant threads asking what you can and can't wear.

If you want to wear mismatching kits on the bike go for it. You might look a plank you might not that is up to you to decide in the same way you get dressed any morning.

Do you ask people if you can wear a jumper with your swimming trunks?
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    andy46 wrote:

I don't quite get this about the Pro's wearing custom kit that differs to the fan's.

In football I can't see the players having custom kit. It is a tshirt in effect. I know for a fact that Bradford City players wear the stuff straight from the shop.

I accept the odd team may get custom stuff (Sky's kits are named) but I think that is the total exception as opposed to the rule.
  • mbhuw
    mbhuw Posts: 79
    Yea black shorts every time, preferably a plain jersey.
    http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/ no.14 - 17 ( it's a complicated subject :/ )