Converting to "Twin & Bash" advice please?.

swiftyx2
swiftyx2 Posts: 203
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi Folks,

I am going from 3 rings to 2 fitting a bash guard and a chain device.

I am going to be fitting a Stinger chain device and need to know do I have to shorten the chain? and if so by how much?.

Also have you folks got any tips or advice that might help me?.

Thanks for reading,

Steve
Eddy Merckx EMX-3 Carbon Athena
Marin Attack Trail 6.8
Marin Wolfridge 6.8 Stolen by sum Scum Bags
Trek 6500
Bianchi Carbon

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes and follow the normal chain sizing instructions but with the chain running through the device.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • swiftyx2
    swiftyx2 Posts: 203
    Hi Nicklouse,

Thanks for reply, can you direct me to this guide you mention?.

Steve[/list]
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3 Carbon Athena
    Marin Attack Trail 6.8
    Marin Wolfridge 6.8 Stolen by sum Scum Bags
    Trek 6500
    Bianchi Carbon
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    see links in sig.

but big and big rings/cogs no mech and add a full link 1" but in your case include the device.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I've just ordered all my kit to go 2X9 with a bash. My reason for changing was that I kept dropping my chain at the DH track but the idea of less replicated gears was also enticing. I'm going to be running a Blacksprie Stinger too. I chose 36/24T chainrings because I don't need the very lowest gear but I like having some low ones to drop down to and with the 36T I could have got a 38T as the capacity in the mechs was there but i decided not to because with the 36T I can stay in the big ring longer, the shifting should also be slicker, I've got more ground clearance and I can run a smaller bash ring, dropping quite a bit of weight.

So I ordered:
    Chainrings: TA Specialites 36/24T (got the last black 36T from clee cycles :P )
    Bashring: Straitline Bash Ring Serrated Blue 36T
    Chain Device: Blackspire Stinger BB Monut Blue
    Rear Mech: SRAM X9 medium cage

I heard that a medium cage rear mech was a benefit over a long cage as it keeps the chain tension better over rough ground, it's less likely to get knocked and weighs less.

I hope that helped in some way and when everything is fitted I'll be able to report back. If I forget, PM me or something
    I hope