Banks and their idiocy. small rant.

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited July 2011 in The hub
Ok so I thought I would try my UK bank card yesterday, as I do not know the Pin number I thought I will just sign for it.

Well it did not work.

So today I call them up to send out a new Pin number.

Mmm lots of questions to prove who i was. I do not know the answers to most of them so they can not send out a Pin. BUT they can send me a security number so I can call in and use that to Prove who I am to order a new Pin. WTF is the difference? other than I may not get a new PIN for 2 weeks.

Oh it is for a Bank account that i do not use.

Honestly what is wrong with sending a Pin to the registered address that they have?
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Is it Abbey?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nope
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I feel you, dude.
    I tried to get a PIN for my Barclaycard last year.
    They wanted my name, address, postcode, date of birth etc.
    Then they asked for my secure passcode. Erm, my what? I've never heard of it before.

Stupid banks.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    it's not just banks. i called vodafone the other day to see when i could upgrade my phone, they wanted my PIN..i said that i can't ever remember setting up a PIN so i have no idea what it is, they say that they can't help me then!!! ffs
  • nicklouse
    dont they realism we have that many pin/codes/pass numbers that they become useless as no one can remember them all unless they are written down or they try and have as many the same as possible.
  • Exact same thing happened to me earlier this year. Even worse was trying to explain this to some Indian person who i couldn't even understand.
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    welshkev wrote:
    it's not just banks. i called vodafone the other day to see when i could upgrade my phone, they wanted my PIN..i said that i can't ever remember setting up a PIN so i have no idea what it is, they say that they can't help me then!!! ffs

I just registered online with them so i could view my accounts etc and i could check in my online account if i was due an upgrade
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ol\'gregg wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

I just registered online with them so i could view my accounts etc and i could check in my online account if i was due an upgrade

but i couldn't be arsed to fill out all the stuff, it could've taken 30 secs over the phone! :D
  • Anonymous
    Vodafone used to have some similarly insane requirement to log in to their website!
    I registered ages ago, then when I went online to try and upgrade a phone, they wanted my name, mobile number, and some secret PIN - which again, I'd never set up.
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    guy in the office was complaining about all the passcodes he had to use to do his online banking.. I suggested he leave them blank for next time he needs to get in :P
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    nicklouse wrote:
    nope

Ah well. Sounds like them... last highlight for me was trying to transfer money out of my savings account (back into the account it came from). Phoned up, organised the move, "We'll have to organise a phone callback for security reasons" Fair enough (though the way they do it adds no security)

Next day, no phone callback. So I phoned them, the woman says "please hold", 2 minutes later "I just called the number you gave me, and it was engaged". "Well, I'm already on the phone obviously! To you! Can you phone me again after this call?" "No, you missed your security callback, you only get one, so I'm cancelling the transfer". Pure genius.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Oh man, that's almost as retarded as when Freeserve (remember them?) used to email the connection password to new customers, but only to their new freeserve email account - for which they needed the password, that was in the email, for which they needed the... well, you get the idea :lol:
  • nicklouse
    well I managed to get the answers correct. Sorted.

But still.
  • lol.. I sign for stuff all the time on my credit card! Usually when I forget my debit card though so its not something I do on purpose! Also have no idea what my pin is for it!
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I feel you, dude
    really? I didn't know liked that sort of thing :shock:
  • My bank does the "securecode" thing every time I buy something, and I always I forget it. I should change it to something abusive like "shove your secure code up your a....."
    I'm having a ball with the council at the moment, keep getting those final demand payments for c/tax every month. I pay it by standing order(Not DD) on the 1st of each month, the funds come right out on the day and I can't get them back that's for sure, yet mid month I get these hassle letters. I phoned them up and asked politely wtf was going on. After 10 mins oohing and aaahing(09 number?!) she asked a supervisor. Turns out my bank and theirs is the same and there's probs with "intra" bank transfers of the (fictitious, just numbers on a pc) money between them, and could I just phone every month and pay with my debit card. I told them no I couldn't, sort it out, that's what internet banking is for.....cheeky swines. :roll:
  • Anonymous
    That is awesome! :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    My bank does the "securecode" thing every time I buy something, and I always I forget it. I should change it to something abusive like "shove your secure code up your a....."
    I'm having a ball with the council at the moment, keep getting those final demand payments for c/tax every month. I pay it by standing order(Not DD) on the 1st of each month, the funds come right out on the day and I can't get them back that's for sure, yet mid month I get these hassle letters. I phoned them up and asked politely wtf was going on. After 10 mins oohing and aaahing(09 number?!) she asked a supervisor. Turns out my bank and theirs is the same and there's probs with "intra" bank transfers of the (fictitious, just numbers on a pc) money between them, and could I just phone every month and pay with my debit card. I told them no I couldn't, sort it out, that's what internet banking is for.....cheeky swines. :roll:

just shows the quality service we get from our local goverment, can't even allocate payments :s i feel so secure with these people looking after our countires cash :(
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Northwind wrote:
    "We'll have to organise a phone callback for security reasons" Fair enough (though the way they do it adds no security)

Next day, no phone callback. So I phoned them, the woman says "please hold", 2 minutes later "I just called the number you gave me, and it was engaged". "Well, I'm already on the phone obviously! To you! Can you phone me again after this call?" "No, you missed your security callback, you only get one, so I'm cancelling the transfer". Pure genius.

:lol:

That's amazing.

When I was at uni I went to the estate agent's to pay my rent, turns out they can't do it by card, don;t do bank transfers or any of that modern nonsense, it's cash or cheque. This was on the day the rent was due, so I had to pay cash.

So I go down the road to the bank, asked to take out X hundred pounds, they said fine, and went off to get the 'special withdrawal' forms. I filled them out and signed a cheque (essentially I wrote a cheque to my bank and they gave me the cash to the value of the cheque :?) and the forms. Cashier person goes off and potters around for a few minutes.

"Sorry sir, but we don;t seem to have a copy of your signature on file, so we can't confirm your identity"

"Oh right, so you've got to send a form out then?"

"Errrmm.....I'll just go and check. *reappears with a form* Can you fill out this form please?"

So I fill out the 'signature specimen form.

The cashier then takes the form back, compares the freshly written signature on the specimen form to the 5 minute old signature on the withdrawal form, decides that they're both the same and hands over the cash.

I can sleep easy at night, knowing that my money is in such capable hands!

I've also been on the phone to my mobile company (years ago, on a crappy phone that could only do one thing at once) and to confirm my identity, they asked me to recite the most commonly called numbers off my phone......."But....I don't know my friend's mobile numbers and I'm on the phone now so can't get into the address book" :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."