Tektro Lyra Brakes on Genesis Day One Alfine

stevep3156
stevep3156 Posts: 37
edited April 2014 in Commuting general
Hello,

Has anyone else had issues with these brakes on the Genesis Day One Alfine?

Recently got this through the cycle to work scheme, liked the hub gears & at the time the discs looked a bonus for commuting 20+ miles each day.

However, the Tektro lyra brakes are completely useless, In order for them to work, it seems you have two choices:-
1. RIde with the pads constantly rubbing against the disc, in order to get them to bite, or:-
2. Clear the pads from the disc & hope to goodness you get at least 200m clearance before you have to stop, with the levers pulled back to your navel.

My LBS have been great, they're taken up the case with Madison, already had them replaced once, & are taking it back to them again, but I was wondering, has anyone else had the same issue, & how was it resolved?

I'm hoping the brakes will get upgraded - interestingly enough, on the 2012 Day One they've now got Avid BB5's (I think), which look much better by all accounts.

Cheers
Steve

Comments

• cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    Avid BB7's are great brakes, I dunno about BB5's...

What you have currently seem rubbish though - hope you get 'em sorted soon!
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Have a look at the 2012 catalogue - it says that they have upgraded the standard brakes, as they found most customers were doing it. I wonder why?!
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • stevep3156
    Have a look at the 2012 catalogue - it says that they have upgraded the standard brakes, as they found most customers were doing it. I wonder why?!

Interesting! I wonder whether they upgraded at Madison's expense, it would be good to find out...!

Cheers!
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    Yup, for the 2012 Day Ones, Genesis says they have changed to BB-5s for the Alfine 8 and are using BB-7s for the new Alfine 11.

I considered both Day One Alfine and Pompetamine Versa for my new commuting bike but was put off by bad reports of the Tektro brakes on the Day One so went for the Pompetamine which has BB-7s.

Maybe you could convince Genesis, the dealer or distributor to change out Tektros for Avid using an argument that the original brakes aren't fit for purpose?
  • stevep3156
    That's exactly the argument i've used so far...in fact not just that they are unfit for purpose, but downright dangerous when adjusted correctly, with the pads just clear of the discs to allow the wheel to run freely.

Kinda wish i'd had the chance to go for the Pompetamine, but was limited in choice by my cycle to work scheme.

Still, we'll see how it goes!

Thanks for the reply.

Steve
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Didnt Jez on the forums here get his replaced by Madison for exactly the same reason??

Redhanded,

how you finding the Versa? i have an 11 speed on order and should be made up in next week or so but getting a little anxious about reports of brake rub, even with the BB's and also suggestions removing wheel to fix a punct*** is a complete pita. What is your experience?
    cheers
  • redhanded
    bobinski wrote:

Redhanded,

how you finding the Versa? i have an 11 speed on order and should be made up in next week or so but getting a little anxious about reports of brake rub, even with the BB's and also suggestions removing wheel to fix a punct*** is a complete pita. What is your experience?
    cheers

I've only had the Versa (8 speed) for 3 weeks but no problems so far. I do get some squeal from the brakes but so far it hasn't been annoying enough to look into this more.

I got the bike shop to fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres instead of the tyres that came with the bike so no punctures so far and I haven't needed to take the wheel off. I had Marathon Pluses on my previous bike as well and didn't have a puncture in 18 months of London commuting.

Picture of the bike here!
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/readers-rides/y ... mine-versa
  • stevep3156
    redhanded - that looks the business, really nice looking bike, good job!

Pretty much done the same on mine, Marathon Plus's & rack...just heard from LBS that they've got some Shimano replacement calipers & discs from Madison now, to replace the Tektro's, fingers crossed they do the job!

Thanks for the tip-off bobinski, i'll bear that in mind if the latest batch isn't up to scratch!

Cheers
  • bobinski
    That is good to hear.

You both happy running an 8 speed hub? i am just wondering, given the anticipated weight savings on the 11 speed hub never materialised, if i might be better off and save money just getting the 8 speed Versa pomp.
  • stevep3156
    Personally, I think I would have preferred an 11-speed...lower gears seem sufficient to get up most hills, but i'm spinning out very easiliy on fast flat/downhill stretches, & i'm not all that fit or strong!

My first upgrade (other than the brakes of course!), would probably be a larger chainring/smaller cog to give a little bit extra for faster riding.

Not sure how the gear ratio's compare though with the 11-speed, might be worth asking On-One themselves.

Cheers!
  • bobinski
    Thanks for replying. Food for thought...
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    I've got a Day One 8 speed and I agree it's geared a little low, after my trip to the alps next month I will stick a smaller cog on the back.

After all the internet comment i was expecting the worst from the Lyra brakes but to be honest they seem OK to me, there is some fork judder on firm braking and they don't feel or modulate as nicely as the Campagnolo Centaurs on my other bike but they work and critically they continue to work in the wet.
  • Bi50N
    Bi50N Posts: 87
    I was umming and ahhing between a the On-One Versa Pro and the Day 1, and reports from a forum poster here (Gaz, I think?) warned me off the Day 1.

The brake issue with last year's model seems to be widespread and potentially downright dangerous

Re: gearing - the Day 1 is fitted with a much smaller chainring (a 39?). My 8-speed Versa is a 48 / 20.

That makes 5th gear (the direct drive, and noticeably smoother / less spongy than the others) my regular, brisk cadence flat gear. 6th is for sprints / tailwinds and 7 and 8 are strictly for downhill only. That leaves just four gears for climbing.

As a London commuter, this set-up suits me fine, but I also use this bike for light touring and it definitely needs some more gears on the bottom. I'm loath to fit a larger sprocket just because it's still perfect for its primary purpose.

Very tempted by an 11 speed upgrade, as I gather the gears are more efficient across the board. I would want the extra three at the bottom.

Here's my ride btw:

5987300704_4f2d582f77.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bi50n/5987300704/sizes/l/in/photostream/

5986741021_5cafb996bf.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bi50n/5986741021/sizes/l/in/photostream/
  • stevep3156
    Now stop it you lot, all these pictures of On One's are making me downright jealous...! :)

Bi50N - thanks for the info, i'll check the ratio on mine, but it sounds like a 48/20 (or comparable ratio) is probably good for an 8-speed...i'm certainly not intending on doing anything more strenuous than commuting/light touring as well.

squeeler - it might just be my bad luck with a bad set that's been stuck on my bike, i'm not sure, but i'm glad to hear yours work OK...i'm just hoping others don't have the same experience!

Cheers all!
  • redhanded
    I've got 48/20 on my 8-speed Pompetamine Versa and it is fine for London commuting.

I could have been tempted by the 11 speed but On-One didn't have any of the 11 speed Versa shifters when I placed the order.
  • Ben64
    Ben64 Posts: 6
    I have had a Day01 Alfine since April. Lyra brakes were OK until a fortnight ago I was braking coming into traffic when the rear brake made a loud click and all braking force went from it! LBS have been brilliant, lent me a rear brake whilst Madisons send out some new (Shimano ?) disk brakes.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    BB5's are okay but BB7s are much better. Bigger pads and the same as on the hydraulic Avid brakes.
  • joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    My Day one has gone back to Madisons and they've lent me a Croix de Feu until a replacement 2012 Day one is available
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • Hi Guys,

I used a Genesis Day One Alfine for a tour across the US this summer and it performed brilliantly HOWEVER both rear and eventually front brakes failed. The reason for this appears to be the fact that when the caliper is tightned using the barrel adjuster on top of the break this places undue stress on the caliper lever mechanism. Eventually the caliper will pass a tipping point , the break will pop, and no longer function effectively. I contacted my LBS and pointed out that I was not the first customer to experience this. I had BB7 roads fitted FOC (which interestingly enough come with specific directions not to tighten the caliper in this way). I really think that Genesis should have recalled the bike (clearly they realise the problem as the 2012 bikes come with BB5s).

Aside from that its a great bike (Fully loaded fast touring, 2.5k miles this summer)

5966435257_737df2d21d.jpg
    bike by oysterkite, on Flickr
  • I have the 2011 Day-One Afline and have the same braking issue as reported above and also as someone else blogged outside this forum one of the issues is that the pads overlap the rotor arms and are not flush with the braking surface itself; someting to do with the rotors being Shimano and the brakes being Tektro. This causes juddering.

The braking is not predictable and, as mentioned in previous posts, if the pads are adjusted so that they don't touch the disc when not engaged then the bike is dangerous; there is not enough stopping force to bring the bike to a stop on the front brake alone and the rear brake can't generate enough force to lock up the rear wheel (not necessarily a problem and some may consider this a good thing). The barrel adjusters on the Lyra brakes seem to already be under so much tension (out of the shop) as to appear to be siezed completely in either direction. I have had to adjust on the cable nut.

Anyway, after 3 months of ownership and about 700 miles I'm giving up tinkering myself and my LBS will be getting a go tomorrow. I'm hoping that the end result will be new brakes at Genesis' expense. I'll post what happens.
  • just had the exact same issue one my 2011 day one alfine.
    took the brake off and examined pads etc thoroughly, adjusted and still get the same issue.
    I got the bike from Evans whose nearest shop is over 100 miles away, so popping into a shop is not an option.
    From previous experience trying to get Evans to replace anything is really difficult and takes time.
    The though of going down that route and the time it will take, probably sending the bike away to be repaired is not filling we any joy.
    In the mean time, i have posted the question of what to do on the Genesis facebook page. will await with interest the reply.
    Can i suggest anyone else with the same issue, do likewise.
  • argaume
    argaume Posts: 1
    oysterkite wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I used a Genesis Day One Alfine for a tour across the US this summer and it performed brilliantly HOWEVER both rear and eventually front brakes failed. The reason for this appears to be the fact that when the caliper is tightned using the barrel adjuster on top of the break this places undue stress on the caliper lever mechanism. Eventually the caliper will pass a tipping point , the break will pop, and no longer function effectively. I contacted my LBS and pointed out that I was not the first customer to experience this. I had BB7 roads fitted FOC (which interestingly enough come with specific directions not to tighten the caliper in this way). I really think that Genesis should have recalled the bike (clearly they realise the problem as the 2012 bikes come with BB5s).

Aside from that its a great bike (Fully loaded fast touring, 2.5k miles this summer)

5966435257_737df2d21d.jpg
    bike by oysterkite, on Flickr

Hi there,

I stumbled upon this post after looking for the Genesis Day One Alfine 11 in touring mode. This looks very good and I very much like how it looks.

I was wondering what you could advise me when looking at the 2013 Genesis Day One Alfine 11 VERSUS the 2013 Genesis Croix de Fer. I am looking mostly to do long daily commute, some day tripping road and gravel/ a bit of dirt during the weekend, and the occasional vacation touring. Can you please advise?

Cheers
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    And with reference to the Lyra brakes :
    I've a set of these fited to my Jamis Nova Sport CX bike that I'm using as a commuter. Used this from around the start of February for a weekly commute of around 140 miles. So far no major issues with the brakes - fronts were squealing badly after a few weeks, couldn't seem to resolve with any adjustment (there isn't much) or cleaning so replaced stock pads with Clarks organics. Better now. Rears recently started giving very poor braking force. Taking up some more cable at the caliper seemed to help but it was as if the cable then went slack again, like the retaining bolt wasn't holding it. Examined the pads and I saw they were fairly worn (approaching the slot for the spring clip) so I've stuck in the old front pads as they had a fair bit of material left. Now much better.
    The cable adjuster at the caliper still works fine : if you take up the tension with the caliper itself - pull up the part with the cable bolt on it - then you should be able to use that adjuster to tighten/loosen the cable but it seems as if they maybe don't like it once pads are worn past a certain point and that adjuster has near to no impact.
  • Hi

just belatedly catching up on this
    just echoing the comments about Tektro Lyra
    these failed on me spectacularly - would recommend that they are avoided
    i now have AVID BB7s - so far, so reliable
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    WOW - I never realised that these brakes were a danger to my life !
    I've had my Jamis CX for 14 months or so and only recently swapped out the front caliper for a s/h (from classifieds on here) BB7 since they had a much better reputation plus the design of the BB7 is nicer and gave adjustment for both pads however in my experience the braking is pretty similar to the Lyra it replaced. I don't go hammering along and braking really hard so it's more about good firm braking never mind the weather.
    I've still got the rear Lyra - TBH I need to get both calipers properly setup for pad clearance and I'm sure the BB7 will give me that ability to get both pads close but not rubbing but so far for me, the Lyras performed pretty adequately.