BBC homepage...

Benjamin Hall
Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Cav...'The new David beckham'...

I thought the mainstream media was supposed to ignore pro cyclists.... Front page of the Telegraph too...

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    It is the silly season...
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Bet he gets knighted now :roll:
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    It's like Federer and Nadal........... Cav and er.....er ...... :)
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    To be fair, I believe the "new David Beckham" quote came from David Millar.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    To be fair, I believe the "new David Beckham" quote came from David Millar.

The interview I heard yesterday was a journalist feeding that line into David Millar and he simply said that Cav was already at that level in France, Italy, Belgium etc.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • To be fair, I believe the "new David Beckham" quote came from David Millar.

The interview I heard yesterday was a journalist feeding that line into David Millar and he simply said that Cav was already at that level in France, Italy, Belgium etc.

David Beckham??? Come on, poor Millar's kidding himself. That level is strictly for local football stars, as far as sports personalities are concerned. As if every continental teenage girl knew who Mark Cavendish is...
    Obviously everybody in France heard the name 'Cavendish' on the news in July, and most people will know he's the Tour's fastest sprinter. But now the Tour is over, so Cavendish could be walking down some high street in a French city and maybe only 10-15% of the locals would recognize his face. And please, Italy... Does Millar actually think foreign cycling champs are huge in today's Italy? Does he think they make headlines in mainstream press and get mobbed on the street and all? Reality is Cavendish can still walk almost totally unrecognized in Rome or Milan , and I bet he's quite happy about it.