Changing ISP.

Aggieboy
Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Apart from the obvious, letting people know your new email address, is there anything else that I should be aware of to make the change hassle free? Never had to do it before. Thanks.
"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Make sure you know how to update your modem/router settings. Your new ISP should send you the data but you'll probably have to log into your modem as an administrator. Read the manual for your modem. Your modem may have a set up wizard to make things easier. Also your mail account information (smtp and pop/imap server addresses and ports) in your mail program (outlook, thunderbird etc.) will need to be changed.
  • Aggieboy
    Thanks for reply. Going from AOL to BT, so I assume I'll get a new modem anyway?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Should have gone with plus.net

(While they are actually owned by BT they are run as an independent company)
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Thanks for reply. Going from AOL to BT, so I assume I'll get a new modem anyway?

I have no idea, but just in case, it may be worth working out how to log into your modem (probably by typing 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 into your web browser) and entering the username and password (maybe still the default one - again RTM)
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2011
    Aggieboy wrote:

Yeah - BT will give you the Home Hub 3 router (for free) with your starter pack - make sure to get a MAC code if needed from your current provider. The admin password for the hub is written on it somewhere (you can change it when you're logged into the hub. The address is 192.168.1.254 - they provide you with an install disc for windows, if you need any help with setup - (under Linux and BSD its easy enough without it.)
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Yes,you will get a new modem from BT(Home Hub).

And by rights you should not need to do anything apart from wait until the switch has been completed.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    BT is groovy. You get a start up disc that guides you through installing drivers and stuff. And if it doesnt work just switch it off and on again.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    moving from aol, no need to change your email address, they allow anyone to have one.

my mum still uses hers and left aol years ago.
    FCN 12
  • Aggieboy
    neiltb wrote:
    moving from aol, no need to change your email address, they allow anyone to have one.

my mum still uses hers and left aol years ago.

How does that work? I have aol.com at the end of the old one. Technology and me :roll: :roll:
  • You should be able to just log into it from their site and get/send E-Mail as normal, just like Hotmail etc.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    I still use my AOL email address too, been with Virgin over a year now but still kept my old address, saves all the hassle involved with addresses you want to keep/inform.
    When you set up with BT they should provide you with a new hub as previously stated, once up and running on their website just click for AOL and use it as normal. I very rarely go onto Virgin sites anyhow, i just use igoogle.
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    I'm moving from plus.net to BT business. Plus net are OK, but their backbone connectivity is not as good as BT, it seems...
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Are you changing ISP to throw the authorities off your (smut littered) trail? :wink:
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Thought this was going to be a thread about intergrated seat posts :oops:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Buy your own domain (how about aggieboy.co.uk?) and use that for your email addresses. Host it on any good-priced hosting service and it's totally separate from your ISP, which you can then change willy-nilly without anyone else ever knowing. Or caring come to that. You can also create temp email addresses for nefarious on-line activities, obviously involving buying nice things for t'wife.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    What the fuk is a modem?
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Call AOL and request your MAC code - (Migration Access Code) - then when you call BT give them this code. In this way there should be no (or very little) break in service in your swap over.

...assuming you haven't done this already.

Failing to do this means that when you terminate your AOL service, have to wait for around two weeks for the systems to catch-up, before you can order your new BT service on your line.
    Cycling weakly
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
  • Aggieboy
    brin wrote:
    I still use my AOL email address too, been with Virgin over a year now but still kept my old address, saves all the hassle involved with addresses you want to keep/inform.When you set up with BT they should provide you with a new hub as previously stated, once up and running on their website just click for AOL and use it as normal. I very rarely go onto Virgin sites anyhow, i just use igoogle.

Are you saying you can still send/receive email through AOL although I have no service through them? Can't quite get my head around it. How I ever even managed to post pics on here I'll never know :lol: