anglesey?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited May 2013 in Routes
anything worthy of riding there?

i may be there next week, if i am i'll stop and ride something on the way through - maybe penmachno this time...but what about anglesey itself?

cheers :D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not really, no, sadly. There's definitely some pleasant paths around the coast, but nothing really mountain bikey.
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    yeehaamcgee

wots the score with riding in Newborough forest? been for some walks in the forest looked like it might be fun OK there ain't any downhill but would I be ok on the paths?
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • Anonymous
    streetvw wrote:
    yeehaamcgee

wots the score with riding in Newborough forest? been for some walks in the forest looked like it might be fun OK there ain't any downhill but would I be ok on the paths?
    yes of course. They're almost entirely forestry roads, so bikes are fine. If you keep an eagle eye out to the sides, you'll occasionally see a few bits and bobs, jumps drops, that kind of thing scattered around as well. Just little bits to play on.
  • streetvw
    thanks, we just sited our Caravan near to Newborough and i was planning on taking a trip or two round the forest :D looking forward to it now will have to keep my eyes peeled for the fun stuff 8)
  • Anonymous
    Be sure to check out Newborough beach too, it's absolutely beautiful. There's some cracking sunsets there this time of year, giving some nice lighting to llanddwyn island and it's lighthouse.
    (in low tide, you can walk onto the island)
  • streetvw
    yeah been on the beach it's awesome, one of the best beaches I've been on in a long time and not too over crowded
  • welshkev
    cheers yeehaa,

i'm there for 3 nights next week...how big is the island? i'm staying in llangefni (that spelt right?) i'll be sure to check out the forest and beach...nice one :D
  • Anonymous
    Erm, not sure how big the island is.
    I've got Bing Maps on the screen right now, and it would appear that anglesey is..... erm.... approximately 4 inches across.
  • Anonymous
    Oh bugger, hang on, I just zoomed in to get a more accurate measurement and it seems there's a hell of a lot of tectonic/geology-ismic activity on Anglesey right now. Not sure if it's safe to go there anymore.
    It's now nearly 6 inches across :shock:
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    Oh bugger, hang on, I just zoomed in to get a more accurate measurement and it seems there's a hell of a lot of tectonic/geology-ismic activity on Anglesey right now. Not sure if it's safe to go there anymore.

:lol::lol:
  • welshkev

after i'd asked the question i thought i could have just googled it and didn't expect a serious answer from you :lol:

ah well, i better hope that there's no volcanic activity and i should be ok :shock: :lol:
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    geology content warning!

welshkev some evidence ofvolcanic activity where you are going (a while ago though)

if you do make it to the beach at newborough there is a classic pillow lavas exposure, if i think they are best on the outcrops before you walk out to llanddwy nisland

look for the dark rocks shaped like erm pillows or globules
  • streetvw
    thanks for the tips on Newborough forest yeehaamcgee found a few cheeky single track trails but only had about an hour to play back down there over the next couple of weekends hopefully will get some more time to have a look around
    :)
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    As you drive along the North Wales Coast just after Conwy you have Penmaenmawr and Llanfairfechan, there is some cracking riding up there. If you are ever passing again drop me a line, will happily show you round.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • streetvw
    streetvw wrote:
    yeehaamcgee

yes of course. They're almost entirely forestry roads, so bikes are fine. If you keep an eagle eye out to the sides, you'll occasionally see a few bits and bobs, jumps drops, that kind of thing scattered around as well. Just little bits to play on.

found one of them jumps the hard way and ended up going over the bars today :roll:

Net result in a broken hat, a black eye, a fat ear and a badly bruised ego the bikes OK though thats the main thing :D
  • edgriff
    edgriff Posts: 1
    The forest at Pentraeth has a few great paths, and a nice fire road to climb back up