So Unfit!

NeilMick
NeilMick Posts: 98
I have literally just cycled only 3 miles and my legs and lungs had enough, that's what you get for not doing any exercise for 9 months due to an injury. Shame as I had got up to 70 miles before that.

Problem is I don't like going slowly and am always trying to push myself, which is probably not the best idea in terms of not doing my knee in again from too much too fast!

Anyone else been in a similar situation? I think the problem is because I'm not actually a total beginner and am used to doing more it's very hard to then go back to almost nothing again. Anyone got any tips to ease myself back into it?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    No easy way round it - just ease yourself back into it. I'm in a similar situation, elbow fracture before Xmas kept me off for 6 months but still hurts so can't do too much. It is a downer though losing fitness (and gaining 2 stone) so quickly.

We're off on holiday in a couple of weeks so just taking my mountain bike and going to try and do an hour or two every day just at a gentle pace, enjoying the scenery.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • NeilMick
    I guess I'll just have to, I expected my legs to hurt but wasn't expecting such a massive difference, I have only gained about 7lbs thought which I'm pretty happy about.

Guess i'll just have to try and forget about where I was before and treat it as starting from scratch. :(
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    Coming back from injury can be very difficult. Using a turbo trainer helped me a lot. Although boring, you can climb off whenever it starts really hurting. Also you don't get frustrated by looking at the speedo and seeing your slow speed (add to that no one overtaking you). Its also easier to gauge your progress. It is boring though.
    Good luck.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    big back injury from a crash in my case

turbo without wheel contact with the roller to start with..... literally just getting the body used to pedaling without any pressure to start

its been nearly 3 yrs now and I am just about capable of serious riding now... recovered within a yr for some heavy riding only to relapse due back problems.

look at everything you are doing position alignment etc... if you dont know about that stuff learn... you might as well you cant lay down anything now anyway
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    if you view your complete loss of fitness as a need to build base fitness again, at least it is a positive outlook to the hard work ahead!
    There are no shortcuts though.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Don't run before you can walk.

Don't just cycle, go for a walk too. When I'm not cycling I at least get exercise from dog walking.
  • stonehouse
    stonehouse Posts: 222
    As the others have said, no choice (if you want to avoid further injury) other than very gradual approach. Apply the 10% a week rule, use the turbo and keep it all aerobic for the first couple of months, build up a good base.

It WILL seem tedious to begin with, but will pay dividends in the long run. I've been really pleased with my progress this year (after a really crap year last year), all down to building aerobic, and not increasing the mileage per week more than 10% at a time. If 3 miles was a big effort, you know where you starting point is!
  • I'm with Giles on this, walking is really good at getting real leg strength as you're carrying your weight so no cheating! I suppose Norfolk is pretty flat though, hills really make a difference. Don't let your fitness demise bother you though, just build it up again at least you know where you've been so can get back there. Just think how many folk do absolutely nothing every day!?!
    Good luck!
  • NeilMick
    8.5 miles tonight in 43 minutes lol

Not going to set the world on fire but steady progress. :lol: :oops: