Tyre choices

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Got a little bit of cash and need some new rubber to replace the mismatched worn tyres currently gracing my rims, a marthon on the front and schwalbe blizzard in red on the rear :shock: The choices are from
    Continental Ultrasport 700x25 Schwalbe Blizzard Fold 700x23 Schwalbe Blizzard 700x23 Marathon 700x25

I'm erring towards the Blizzards but being 23s is putting me off a little and prefer 25s which the Ultrasport and Marathons are. I've riddent with Gatorskins in the past and wonder how they compare to Ultrasports.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    How about Durano's?
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Only buy ultrasports if you like fixing punctures, they are poo.

My boardman came with ultrasports managed 2 rides before the back one gave up. Didn't notice any increase in resistance with gatorskins but I was quicker, because I wasn't stood by the road swearing. For info, ITB used to use ultrasports, nuf said.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    prawny wrote:

My boardman came with ultrasports managed 2 rides before the back one gave up. Didn't notice any increase in resistance with gatorskins but I was quicker, because I wasn't stood by the road swearing. For info, ITB used to use ultrasports, nuf said.

I've done nearly 1100 miles on the UltraSports on my Boardman Team Carbon & not one puncture. I had to replace the rear tyre after it bulged, but no punctures!
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I'd give a shout for the Conti Supersport Plus. Done over 3000 miles on mine, not a single puncture, reckon they've got about another 1000 left in them. Not cheap at £20ish each, but worth it for hassle free commuting.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    cloggsy wrote:
    prawny wrote:

I've done nearly 1100 miles on the UltraSports on my Boardman Team Carbon & not one puncture. I had to replace the rear tyre after it bulged, but no punctures!

Maybe I was unlucky I spose. Were you commuting on them though? Lot less crap on the sort of roads I leisure ride on. Just a thought.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Looks like I'm going with Blizzards. They came on my Allez when I got it last May and haven't had no puntures with them.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • saladdays
    saladdays Posts: 92
    What you need are Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons.