Creakings, clickings, tickings, clankings and knockings.

Comments

• jcdbuffalo
    jcdbuffalo Posts: 3
    Ive had similar noise's from my carbon bike. It turned out to be two seperate noise problems. First was my front skewer wasnt tight enough. Im a bug guy and when cranking hard are out of saddle it would creak. The other noise Ive limited buy greasing my stem spacers. I will soon be trying a one piece stem spacer. The greasing of the spacers helped, but they still creak occasionally. Good luck
  • markybhoy67
    markybhoy67 Posts: 346
    Click, Click damn Click :shock:

Need some help guys / girls.

I think it might be my BB (Cannondale BB30) or front chain rings flexing (maybe) but will ask here before I go back to bike shop.

In any of the front chain rings (compact 50 / 34) and from about middle rear cog through to smallest rear cog (12 / 28 )

The click appears just as the right pedal is coming in line with the front mech.

The thing is the click isn't there on full power, just when I back off, maybe sitting at around 14 - 18 mph depending upon which gear I am in.

I have put the bike on my roller to see if I can see anything coming in to contact with each other but nothing.

Nothing hitting the front mech, ie chain

I had the wife listen while I peddled and she reckons noise is from where the pedals go in to the frame:lol: hence the BB

I checked all the chain ring bolts and two where slightly loose, tightened them up and still the click is there.

The bike is a Cannondale Synapse alloy 105, 1 month old and has been ridden for about 500 miles through some very rainy conditions in Glasgow

The bike is spotless and chain is well lubed as I have given it a good clean each night that I have been out on it.

I changed over my pedals and my saddle and re greased the new ones that I put on just in case this was maybe an issue but nothing changes, just click click click :?

Also took off my cateye magnet to rule out it hitting the sensor.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mark
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    Thin clicking over rough (tarmac) surfaces

My bike has developed a non-rythmic, thin rattly clicking sound when on rough surfaces, the type that vibrate the bike. It is quiet on nice smooth surfaces. The sound started in the front wheel about a 100 miles ago and now seems to come from both wheels and is so bad I actually stopped yesterday en route to check for broken spokes. The reflectors on the wheels seem properly wedged bewteen spokes. The brakes all work as smooth as ever so I presume the rims are true.

Sometimes I get a couple of similar clicks when hitting a bump.

The bike is a Spesh Secteur (carbon fork, ali frame), 10 weeks old, approaching 400 miles. As a commuter bike I have fitted pannier+rack, lights and computer but I reckon I can distinguish the noise these guys make though I have not yet gone about stripping them off.

Do wheels relax after initial use, like cables stretch? :?
    Any suggestions really really appreciated because the bike was an insurance replacement and therefore not supplied by a friendly LBS.
    ChrisM
  • sully123
    sully123 Posts: 6
    Hello folks,
    I think I have a rightside "creaky crank". The creak only sounds when there's much downward force & not during easy 'spinning'. Also most noticable at the 3 o'clock position
    They are FSA cranks that are a replacement set after the originals (on a Planet X Pro Road Ti) were recalled under a product recall.
    The creak is only a recent creak.
    I'm thinking it's when there's most torsion during the pedal stroke cycle.
    Cheers
    :?
  • cmm303
    cmm303 Posts: 59
    cmm303 wrote:
    Thin clicking over rough (tarmac) surfaces

My bike has developed a non-rythmic, thin rattly clicking sound when on rough surfaces, the type that vibrate the bike. It is quiet on nice smooth surfaces. The sound started in the front wheel about a 100 miles ago and now seems to come from both wheels and is so bad I actually stopped yesterday en route to check for broken spokes

Sorted :D Removed pannier rack, noise gone, and put it back on, noise still gone. Yet no srews were loose. And for the record .... the rattle was far worse when pedalling hard. Strange but true, what a red herring!
    ChrisM
  • Click, Click damn Click :shock:

Need some help guys / girls.

I think it might be my BB (Cannondale BB30) or front chain rings flexing (maybe) but will ask here before I go back to bike shop.

In any of the front chain rings (compact 50 / 34) and from about middle rear cog through to smallest rear cog (12 / 28 )

The click appears just as the right pedal is coming in line with the front mech.

The thing is the click isn't there on full power, just when I back off, maybe sitting at around 14 - 18 mph depending upon which gear I am in.

I have put the bike on my roller to see if I can see anything coming in to contact with each other but nothing.

Nothing hitting the front mech, ie chain

I had the wife listen while I peddled and she reckons noise is from where the pedals go in to the frame:lol: hence the BB

I checked all the chain ring bolts and two where slightly loose, tightened them up and still the click is there.

The bike is a Cannondale Synapse alloy 105, 1 month old and has been ridden for about 500 miles through some very rainy conditions in Glasgow

The bike is spotless and chain is well lubed as I have given it a good clean each night that I have been out on it.

I changed over my pedals and my saddle and re greased the new ones that I put on just in case this was maybe an issue but nothing changes, just click click click :?

Also took off my cateye magnet to rule out it hitting the sensor.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mark
    if they're hollowtech II or similar, could well be the crank spline.
    take the LHS crank arm off, grease the spline well and put it back.
  • got a faint but just-loud-enough-to-be-annoying sort of noise that i'd best describe as a 'chattering', or a constant faint clicking, when pedalling in middle ring, sure it's coming from the front of the drive train.
    not sprockets/rear indexing as have tried it with rear mech almost too loose and almost too tight and no change.
    only happens in middle ring.
    It's not that the middle ring is worn as the whole crankset is almost new.
    I think it's developed since I put a new chain on, a shimano 10 speed one with a joining pin, but can't see anything wrong with it.

any ideas? much appreciated
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    So i've had a creak developing on my bike for the last few weeks that has been irritating me and worrying me in equal measure.

After a lot of forum reading and pontification i decided it had to be a problem with my look pedals, there seemed to be many stories of their creaks and clicks so i bought the right tool and took them apart this weekend. All looked fine and i regreased the bearings and put them back together. The creak was still there. I had already checked the chainring bolts and there was no play in the BB and the sound was still there when pedalling without cleats.

Aaaagh!!!

So i took it to my LBS and they serviced the BB and the headset. The sound was still there, aaaaagh!!!

The mechanic then said that there was a chance that the skewers were simply a bit too loose, i had recently removed the front wheel and retightened the skewer so knew that was not the problem. Anyway he simply retightened the rear skewer, i jumped on and BOOM! No more noise!

Something so simple that i had dismissed cured the problem, and i was so convinced it was coming from the BB area!

Lesson learned; if any creak or clicking sound develops check the skewers are greased and done up tight before doing anything else!
  • I've got a creak that i'm sure is coming from newly installed athena power torque cranks. The 14mm allen bolt is tight as possible and there is no play in the cranks. All chainring bolts are tight.

I'm sure the bb cups are tight too because the local shop tightened them for me 2 weeks ago. I would check them myself but I don't have the crank extraction tools and they cost a fortune.

Has anyone any experience of this or any ideas for cheap tools that would get the cranks off?

Cheers
  • I have noticed after going out for the first time on a ride that where the front forks connect to the frame as shown in the video there seems to be some movement. You can hear the noise it makes when i lift the frame and put it down again. When riding, under breaking the front end judders a little bit. I tried tightening the allen screw at the top of the handle bars which seems to be as tight as it can go. It may be this is normal to have some give but felt a little weird to me. You cant really see it but when i lift the bike the frame just seems to move forward slightly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S2KXmUghyE
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Garmin 500
    SIS nutrition
    Elite Volare Mag Turbo Trainer

Gingerbeard man, tasty too!!
  • I took the bike down to the LBS (Putney Cycles) who very kindly had a look for me and agreed something was quite right. He promptly took the headset apart and put it back together again which seems to resolved the situation. Can only assume that it had not be tightened up properly. Anyway no noise and safe riding.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Garmin 500
    SIS nutrition
    Elite Volare Mag Turbo Trainer

Gingerbeard man, tasty too!!
  • WTF
    WTF Posts: 52
    Loud clicking noise started 20 miles in for about another 20 miles stopped bike and removed chain which finally pinpointed bottom bracket bearings.
    BB30 on a Focus Cayo with about 800 miles dry use.
    Strangely it went away as quick as it started but replacements were sought and fitted thereafter and seem to be fine since although I am not impressed with the longevity of BB30.
  • Might be the computer magnet knocking against the sensor. Wheels will flex a bit under the circumstances you describe. I found that the sensor had moved slightly closer to the spokes, due to a knock or slipping, and so any slight deviation in the wheel caused the magnet to catch on the sensor making a sound like a spoke twanging. Happened when climbing hard or sprinting out of the saddle.
    I have the same noise sounds like it's the magnet on the soles knocking the sensor on the forks. It only comes on when I am giving the bike some welly. Do you think that the wheels are a bit soft and are stiffer wheels faster / more efficient? I have a 2010 Colnago Ace with the standard Campag Khamsin wheels
  • I have just bought my brand new lovely 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10 105, ridden it twice and it's a beauty, one concern I do have though it that when I go over some rough patches I can hear a slight jingling noise coming from around the top of the fork area I think, any ideas pleaseee?
    thanks.
  • ive had creaks where the mech cables enter the adjusters mounted at the front of the frame. as the hadle bars move around, the ferules on the ennds ofvthe cables rub around on the inside of the adjusters (metal on metal ). put an ear to it, it took me a while to find it, thought it was initially the spacers on the fork steerer.
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    I had a creaking noise the other day and could not work out where it was coming. After a while I eventually found it was coming from my cleats rubbing on the metal plate on the pedals.

I have Time Impact pedals.

How did you fix it Sarge?

I had the same on my A520 SPD's and a bit of finish line chain lube on the contact points solved it. The creaking was getting loud and very annoying at that point but seems to be silent now.

I to had the same problem with M520 SPD's, this was down to the alloy contact points being worn down by the hard sole on my DHB M1's.
  • frosty99
    frosty99 Posts: 115
    Click from the pedals:

I've noticed a clicking over my last few rides, I think I've isolated it to the pedals. It stops when I stop pedaling, and in my normal pedal stroke it occurs at 10 o clock, if i point my toes right forward it occurs at 12 o clock. So I think I can exclude crank/bb etc

I have shimano r450 pedals and tried turning up the tension quite high to see if that changed anything, it hasnt really changed it.

Its only a quiet click and if I'm chatting or daydreaming I dont hear it but like any noise from the bike my ears get tuned into it and it bugs me a little bit, so not particularly concerned but if anyone has any ideas for an obvious cause/solution I'd much appreciate it.

cheers
    Frosty
  • Went for a ride yesterday and all I can do is describe the noise as a squeal.

First thought was brakes, but when squealing i feel no drag on wheels. Loosened each brake and squealing still occured randomly, but only down hill.

Thought it was triggered by brakes but think this is coincidence (ie i use brakes when going downhill and it only happens down hill)

Fellow rider felt the noise was coming from BB but squealing is there when crank static.

I cant locate noise ie wether its front or rear. But did notice that back pedalling did trigger it on one occassion. Am wondering if its rear wheel bearing related or freewheel related. It is totally random and once i stop and start again it has gone.

Any ideas? Wheels are Aksium and have 5000 miles with all original parts, same with Chainset all at 5000 miles
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • Hi just today my two largest sprockets have randomly locked out, so I can no longer change into either of them. How could I fix this?
  • Today my two largest sprockets locked out and now I am unable to use them. How can I fix this?
  • Phil Russell
    Phil Russell Posts: 1,736
    Annoying 'tick' every pedal revolution. Could not trace it, everything seemed perfect when I checked the bike over... no noises. Sometimes it was not there when riding as well. Then decided to watch what was happening when I rode and all was clear ... the tick noise was a shoe lace clicking against the crank arm. Maybe worth checking.
    Cheers, Phil
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I have a strange clunk/creaking noise coming from my new Cube Agree. I am finding it hard to even pinpoint the area that it is coming from.

It only seems to happen when I am spinning along (it seems to coincide with the turning of the peddles) and if I get out of the saddle it will stop. There is also no noise when going up hills or giving it a bit of welly. I would say that 80% of time there is no problems at all.

On my first ride on the bike, a short 15 mile run just to see what it was like, I can't remember hearing it. Since then I have lowered the saddle by a couple of mm's and added a bottle cage. I have tested the tightness of the relevant bolts and they seem fine.

I know I can take it back to the shop but I would rather have a go at finding the source myself.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Gilly6333
    Gilly6333 Posts: 10
    vitesse169 wrote:
    as has been previously stated, creaks & clunks can come from the fork drop outs. i find a little grease on the inside of the drop outs and not so tight on the skewer...

I have creak and clunk from the back skewer when im out of the saddle and under load...I find i need to have the skewer quite tight on my Giant Defy 1 to get rid of it!..I havent tried the grease on the inside of the drop out....does it work? and does it matter that the skewer is tight?
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    I've not been active on the site for a while but have a headset question someone might be able to assist with - my 'cross bike has a Miche Primato 1" threadless assembly (needle roller bearings) that's around 12 months old. I recently re-greased and re-installed it and whilst the action is lovely and smooth with no play (nor any binding), I'm sure the rotation of it seems noisier than I recall. I'm wondering if this is down to the frame, which is made of TIG-welded Columbus Foco tubes with extremely thin walls - as such the frame seems to amplify any noises that would otherwise be insignificant (front gear changes, cables 'pinging' against the frame, gravel bouncing off the frame etc.). My road bike has a lugged/brazed Reynolds 653 frame with a similar needle roller headset (Stronglight) which performs equally well, only with the slightest noise in comparison. :?

Thanks in advance for ideas.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Fatini999
    Fatini999 Posts: 66
    Ive got an issue :/ every time i push hard with my left crank a creak is made (climbing hard provokes it)...so when i got home i pushed on the crank and the same creak came from the cassette... whats going on!?
  • Fatini999
    Fatini999 Posts: 66
    Fatini999 wrote:
    Ive got an issue :/ every time i push hard with my left crank a creak is made (climbing hard provokes it)...so when i got home i pushed on the crank and the same creak came from the cassette... whats going on!?

Problem solved- if any of you have this issue, check the dork disc on the spokes, they rub sometimes and squeak while doing so :/
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Currently I have a recent creak from crank area on hard pedalling. Taken off and re greased pedals and chain ring bolts. Still there, not the saddle as it's the same with no seatpost in. Have given BB and crank area a GT 85 tonight and will let it soak. Booked in for full service next week in readiness for Etape. It's less than a year old but done 6000 plus miles, but well looked after. Hope it's quiet on Tour of Peak Sunday!
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    Anyone get a lot of noise/vibration when going over rough roads? From the front, ive presumed its the cables on carbon forks/frame but wondered if its normal??
  • Rita
    Rita Posts: 186
    Hi all,

I have a clunking noise coming from the front of my bike

It only happens when I'm out of the saddle when climbing.

I have tightened the bearing on my 4 months old Mavic ksyrium elite wheels

Also checked for loose spokes and botton bracket

I have changed the 2 bearings in the heatset as well

Did anyone have this problem or know what the hell is happening, its driving me mad.

The bike is a Full Carbon Ridley Noah with alu bars(cheap bars)

This is a pic of the bike
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture. ... reid=11860

Thanks for reading this.

Shane
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    Annoying creaking sound when pedalling on my Boardman Hybrid Team and I could not pinpoint where it was from, had a suspicion that it was bottom bracket area. Took it back to Halfords, mechanic knew straight away, whipped out and greased the seat post!!!, creaking now gone, well done Halfords,............. Nul points to me!! :oops: