Bad Boy experiences?

armpitofillomen
armpitofillomen Posts: 17
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I'm thinking about springing for a Bad Boy Ultra.

Apart from the fact that every time I hear the bike name it's spoken by Julian Clary in my head, are there any demerits about it as an all-purpose city pootler?

Comments

• fishz
    fishz Posts: 20
    I ride a low end, rigid disc model. I can't say anything bad about it really. It's the best commuter I've used, but let down by the lack of rack mounts. An incredible omission for a commuter bike, but I understand that the current ones all have mounts.

I didn't get on with the Kojaks and swapped them out for Marathons, which was a big improvement. I also swapped out the grips and pedals but that's all just personal preferences. Never needed to do anything else to it and put thousands of miles on it...

The only other downside I can think of is that it's a thief magnet. I went for the best lock I could get but still get paranoid about leaving it anywhere other than work or home.

HTH
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Capable enough bike, slighty under specced for it's price, and similary overpriced for an "all-purpose city pootler".[/code]
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Oh yeah, also perhaps someone can clean up confusion I have - In the Cannondale docs, the 2011 Ultra has a single-sided Headshok. All the UK-based bike shop pix however seems to suggest regular Headshok in that the right hand fork leg is vislble. Which do we actually get? (I could just pop down to an Evans or something of course but I can't be bothered)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    fishz wrote:
    The only other downside I can think of is that it's a thief magnet. I went for the best lock I could get but still get paranoid about leaving it anywhere other than work or home.

I've heard this a lot, but it could just be hearsay. To be honest though (assuming you're in London) you can't really expect to be able to leave any decent looking bike locked up on the street for longer than it takes to do your shopping without it being at serious risk of being nicked. Cycle thieves are pretty well organised and will get through any lock if you give them enough time and opportunity. I think some people are just a bit naive about this. I never leave my alpha bike unattended unless its at home or at work.

Ontopic: Its a nice looking bike :)
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    I have a rigid disk model, and I love it, and after having it for 2 years still have a smile on my face cycling to work and back. That said for longer rides (over 30 miles) I do find the flat handlebars a bit annoying, though since 99% of its use is for the commute to work and back I can live with that