Training after a hernia op

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,892
edited September 2011 in Training, fitness and health
I'm due to have my hernia fixed up in September. Has anyone had a similar op, and if so how soon could you start cycling again?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Everyone's different - only your doctor (or surgeon) can answer that.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • phreak
    Aye, thought that might be the case but thought I'd ask nonetheless, see if anyone had any personal experiences of what to expect.
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    I would wait until you are out the Hospital car park before getting on your bike after the op in case the surgeon spots you :D

All joking aside good luck fella, hope it all goes well
  • phreak
    Seems it is horses for courses from reading a few forum posts on this. Shall coincide the time off with any 'close season' and have a few weeks off I think. No point rushing things over winter and damaging stuff again I suppose.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    i've had two hernias, one repaired via open surgery, the other keyhole.

open surgery, you'll not be riding your bike, or doing anything like cycling for at least a month maybe more. Its very painful for a good few days after.

keyhole you can be back within a month easily I would have thought, get keyhole if you can, far better than open!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I had both sides down, key hole. Had a gauze inserted both times and waited about 3 weeks, but took it easy for a couple just to be sure.
    As above, check with your doctor.
  • phreak
    Thanks chaps. Will use the recuperation as my 'close season' and rest up for as long as needed.
  • phreak
    As an update on this. Had my surgery on Thursday. They used a 4 inch incision to do their stuff. It was a wee bit stiff/sore in the days afterwards, but I'm gradually walking about a bit more freely. Will hopefully have the dressing taken off tomorrow when I visit the GP and will see how things progress before doing the odd gentle ride on the bike. I believe the stitches should dissolve in the next 7/10 days so I'm pencilling then in. Fingers crossed.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    It's not too bad, is it? I'd leave the hill repeats for a while, mind ;-)
  • phreak
    No, I thought it would be worse than it is. Was planning to have a few weeks rest as a 'close season' anyway, so shall use that as this before doing some gentle commutes in a week or so.
  • okgo wrote:
    i've had two hernias, one repaired via open surgery, the other keyhole.

open surgery, you'll not be riding your bike, or doing anything like cycling for at least a month maybe more. Its very painful for a good few days after.

keyhole you can be back within a month easily I would have thought, get keyhole if you can, far better than open!

I concur