Need a new 400-500 pound road bike?

snotrocket
snotrocket Posts: 3
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
Hey guys

I'm looking to spend about 400 or 500 pounds on a new or used road bike. I will probably use it about 3/4 times a week during my summer holidays and slightly less when i go back to sixth form

I was just wondering if you guys could recommend me a any bikes-Links would be much appreciated.

If not could you just tell me the kind of specs i should be looking for

Cheers

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Ebay... you can get some bargins on there if you know what size frame you need.

I watched a 2009 Scott speedster ltd ed, Ultegra model go for £570 last night... the same bike cost £1100 brand new plus it had some upgrades :shock:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • martylaa
    martylaa Posts: 147
    put a wanted ad up on here...
  • the problem with second hand is i dont really want to have to go through all the hassle of getting a second hand one

if i were to say my dad will spend 600 quid on a new bike tomorrow would there be any you guys would recommend?

(providing i can haggle with my dad hehe)
  • I got an a specialized allez sport 2011 for 599, in the sale from 720, seems like a good first bike and at that price I'm not worried about running it all winter in any weather
    Fat slow with a crap bike
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    snotrocket wrote:
    the problem with second hand is i dont really want to have to go through all the hassle of getting a second hand one

if i were to say my dad will spend 600 quid on a new bike tomorrow would there be any you guys would recommend?

(providing i can haggle with my dad hehe)

Buying a second hand bike is exactly the same amount of hassle as buying a new, even less maybe. Just comes with no guarantee.

But if you really think it's more work, while jaded, a Spesh Allez is a good started from what I hear.
  • Does a mountain bike weigh 400-500 pounds? They look heavy :shock:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    +1 for a wanted ad - worked for getting my kids bikes

Have a look at decathlon they do a low end road bike for £300 and one for £500 - and we are coming into bike sale season as the 2012 models come out - so keep your eyes open
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    kingrollo wrote:
    +1 for a wanted ad - worked for getting my kids bikes

Have a look at decathlon they do a low end road bike for £300 and one for £500 - and we are coming into bike sale season as the 2012 models come out - so keep your eyes open

+1 on the Decathlons if you want new.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Might know where there is a well looked after orbea aqua with shimano sora group set up for grabs, and believe me it has been well looked after with gleaming paint work.

Aluminium frame carbon forks in silver and black with red flashes, frame size is a 54 (im 6ft think 6ft is about max will suit smaller).

A friend has an interest in it if he can get money together but if not will be up for sale at £350 will just need some pedals and your good to go.

New Felt F75 forces sale :D
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!