I can't believe that

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
No one on here has commented on the Norway massacre.

I know it's a heavy subject but I would imagine a lot of people will be talking about it in places of social gathering today.

So I've come to the conclusion folk on here are

A, Sick of hearing about it.
B, In a world of their own.
C, Just not bothered.

For the record I was mortified by it, but you can't legislate for the actions of (what would appear to be) a totally insane/deluded individual.

My thoughts go out to those poor souls involved.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Any loss of a humans life is terrible. There is, however, a point after which I no longer care about every terrorist thing happening in the world. We've been bombarded with news of people blowing things up for years, after the first year I stopped getting myself down about it. It's a part of the world, no sense in changing your routine just because of that.

So yes, in a part I don't care, because I see so much of it on the news that after a while I just become desensistized about it.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    What MM said.

I may come across as a heartless cow, I have Norwegian friends, I sincerely hope that non of her family or friends are involved, other than that, it doesn't affect me so in a way, no I don't care.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    It would apear that the guy responsible was a far-right Christian, who obviously did not understand the meaning of the word Christian.
    I heard about the bomb last night but was only aware of the massacre today, and I must admit it seemed almost unreal that someone could single-handedly carry out such an atrocity.

It's unusual in such cases for the gunman not to kill himself. norway would not seem to be an obvious country for such an event to happen, either.

I don't think it's that people don't care Frank, maybe just a case of too much bad news is difficult to cope with.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Didn't Norway have some similar trouble last year? I seem to recall one of the problems is that gun culture is endemic as they hunt a lot so access to guns (whether an individual is nutty as a fruit cake or not) is fairly open.
  • MountainMonster
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Didn't Norway have some similar trouble last year? I seem to recall one of the problems is that gun culture is endemic as they hunt a lot so access to guns (whether an individual is nutty as a fruit cake or not) is fairly open.

Access to guns is never a problem, it's the mentality of the society that is a problem. Here in Austria guns don't even have to be licensed, you just have to be of age, but yet you never hear of murders resulting from guns, same with most Northern European countries. The countries just don't believe in any form of violence.
  • lifeform
    lifeform Posts: 126
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Access to guns is never a problem, it's the mentality of the society that is a problem. Here in Austria guns don't even have to be licensed, you just have to be of age, but yet you never hear of murders resulting from guns, same with most Northern European countries. The countries just don't believe in any form of violence.

Switzerland too, thanks to it's militia/territorial orientated Armed Forces, is literally armed to the teeth.
  • MountainMonster
    lifeform wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Switzerland too, thanks to it's militia/territorial orientated Armed Forces, is literally armed to the teeth.

Jop, switzerland is one of the most neutral countries in the world, but "should" anything ever happen, they are very well equipped to defend their borders. I can't remember where I read it, but I think every man above the age of 16 has a minimum of 2 firearms at home, as well as multiple rifles. I think the average guns per person sits just under 1 there!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706

I know it's a heavy subject but I would imagine a lot of people will be talking about it in places of social gathering today.

C, Just not bothered.

For the record I was mortified by it, but you can't legislate for the actions of (what would appear to be) a totally insane/deluded individual.

Or maybe we just think there's nothing worth saying.

There is no political route you can take to stop the actions of a lone nutter or no point to make as to why it happened. All a thread on the subject would do is have everyone saying how terrible it is. I never see the point in hand-wringing for the sake of it.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    [quote="MountainMonster"

Jop, switzerland is one of the most neutral countries in the world, but "should" anything ever happen, they are very well equipped to defend their borders. I can't remember where I read it, but I think every man above the age of 16 has a minimum of 2 firearms at home, as well as multiple rifles. I think the average guns per person sits just under 1 there![/quote]

I was in Switzerland recently and was told that many of the routes into the country (bridges, tunnels etc) were equipped ready to be destroyed quickly and easily to thwart invaders. Not sure how much that helps (or the small firearms) if missiles are being used.

If anyone did invade, they'd soon leave as everything's so expensive anyway!
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    edited July 2011
    [quote="MountainMonster"

Jop, switzerland is one of the most neutral countries in the world, but "should" anything ever happen, they are very well equipped to defend their borders. I can't remember where I read it, but I think every man above the age of 16 has a minimum of 2 firearms at home, as well as multiple rifles. I think the average guns per person sits just under 1 there!

I was in Switzerland recently and was told that many of the routes into the country (bridges, tunnels etc) were equipped ready to be destroyed quickly and easily to thwart invaders. Not sure how much that helps (or the small firearms) if missiles are being used.

If anyone did invade, they'd soon leave as everything's so expensive anyway![/quote]

FFS!! No spoiler!!!!! I might want to go there one day.[/quote]
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I do care, it's just I spoke about it with my girlfriend rather than in Cake Stop.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Aggieboy wrote:

If anyone did invade, they'd soon leave as everything's so expensive anyway!

FFS!! No spoiler!!!!! I might want to go there one day.[/quote]

But it's a good job I didn't put a spolier - or you'd never have taken enough money!
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Smokin Joe wrote:

C, Just not bothered.

Or maybe we just think there's nothing worth saying.

There is no political route you can take to stop the actions of a lone nutter or no point to make as to why it happened. All a thread on the subject would do is have everyone saying how terrible it is. I never see the point in hand-wringing for the sake of it.

Pretty much the same for me, of course I find such incidences appalling but didn't feel the need to express it on this, or any other, forum as it's of no real purpose.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    :roll:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Murder in iceland too.....should have seen the queues for the Fray Bentos pies.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • MountainMonster
    That's too right. Austria is expensive enough, but a bike that costs here 1000 euros costs the equivalent of 1600 euros in switzerland. Damn them and not trying to be in the E.U.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I suppose in some respects I was commenting on it being "topical" much like the phone hacking thread.

I wasn't having a pop at anyone I was just a bit suprised.

I note a thread about Amy Winehouse is on here, not looked at it yet but her death is no shock to me, a lunatic killing a shedful of youngsters is.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Have spent the whole day waiting for a call from my brother in law who works in the government building that was bombed in Oslo. Thankfully my inlaws got a call around tea time to say all was well with him. Understandably he's in shock at the deaths as he has been involved in Norwegian education and young people for many years. He was lucky as he left the building well before the blast but is not so sure about some of his workmates.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    What's to say? It's worse than anything I can imagine or articulate.