Training Question

mbhuw
mbhuw Posts: 79
I've started training on my road bike, and am pushing myself as hard as i feel i can.
For example on doing Hill Intervals i pushed myself as hard as i could, my lungs were burning, my legs felt like they would give no more, and i repeated it three times. But then the next day i felt no stiffness at all. Now i know that stiffness isn't necessarily a good thing but doesn't it show you've been pushing yourself and your body?
How can i push myself further?
Thanks

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,696
    Cycle faster for longer.

I wouldn't use stiffness as an indicator. Use tiredness.
  • mbhuw
    mbhuw Posts: 79
    Cycle faster for longer.

Yea i guess, i suppose i should only get stiff if i don't warm up and down. I was thinking of cycling faster for longer but don't have to many longer hills than i'm already using around.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    mbhuw wrote:
    Cycle faster for longer.

Yea i guess, i suppose i should only get stiff if i don't warm up and down. I was thinking of cycling faster for longer but don't have to many longer hills than i'm already using around.

Cycling faster and longer does not mean more hills, it means cycling faster for longer. If you ride 20km now, do 30. And push yourself harder.
  • Stop doing hill intervals.

When I stopped doing them, my form exploded.

Why?

Because an 80 mile ride contains more hills then you will go up doing hill intervals, far enough apart that you can sprint each one plus you have an 80 mile ride in the bag.

Do hill intervals in the run-up to racing, not when you;ve just started training. Your goal should be to start posting rides in the 60-70 mile region if you want to monster everyone.

P.S.

If you want to measure fatigue then I'd say being able to only go up the hill once and in considerable pain, the next day would be a good indictator that you gave it your all the day before. Although if you're not feeling anything then there is something amiss here, it might be you're not strong enough to hurt yourself properly yet??? I see this with some novice cyclists
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome