"Comedian" or "Yob" or "Violent Thu

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Was interested to see a story in the Standard tonight describe the man who attacked Rupert Murdoch in the following terms
The comedian who attacked Rupert Murdoch with a foam pie today said ....

Interesting the term used.

If he had done this to someone else - for example Kate Middleton who was popular, then no doubt the paper would describe him as a yob or thug rather than a comedian.

It does have the effect of casting a person in a different light
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Is it possible that it is the newspaper having a go at a rival paper's boss rather than a poor description?

-Spider-
  • Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    spen666 wrote:
    Was interested to see a story in the Standard tonight describe the man who attacked Rupert Murdoch in the following terms

If he had done this to someone else - for example Kate Middleton who was popular, then no doubt the paper would describe him as a yob or thug rather than a comedian.

Yes but it would sell more papers if he was described as a violent thug attacking kate middleton rather than a harmless comedian.

The newspaper knows that the news of the world is low in the public opinion which is why they made it a more comical serves him right story to ..... you guessed it sell more papers.
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • Jason82
    Jason82 Posts: 142
    spen666 wrote:

Yes but it would sell more papers if he was described as a violent thug attacking kate middleton rather than a harmless comedian.

The newspaper knows that the news of the world is low in the public opinion which is why they made it a more comical serves him right story to ..... you guessed it sell more papers.
    Missing a Boardman cx team
    FCN = 9
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Isn't 'comedian' in this context a reference to his profession?

Like saying 'The teacher who attacked Rupert Murdoch'.
  • spen666
    -spider- wrote:
    Is it possible that it is the newspaper having a go at a rival paper's boss rather than a poor description?

That was my thought and what I was suggesting. Hence my reference to someone popular.

Shame the assailant wasn't / couldn't be done for contempt of Parliament and locked up in St Stephen's Tower like those in contempt of parliament in days of old.

I have to confess that one of my ancestor's was jailed wrongly for contempt of parliament (not in England) and later released by the Court of Appeal in London and awarded compensation for his wrongful imprisonment.
    His crime? Freedom of speech - he wrote a newspaper article criticising the government and parliament

Twittering @spen_666
  • -spider-
    spen666 wrote:
    -spider- wrote:

That was my thought and what I was suggesting. Hence my reference to someone popular.

Not a good reference then - Kate Middleton is not the owner of a rival paper.

-Spider-
  • spen666
    -spider- wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    -spider- wrote:

Is she not - well I'm glad you told me that. I thought she was the owner of a rival paper.

Any idea what she does for a living then?

Twittering @spen_666
  • -spider-
    spen666 wrote:
    -spider- wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    -spider- wrote:

Is she not - well I'm glad you told me that. I thought she was the owner of a rival paper.

Any idea what she does for a living then?

Polishes shoes and makes breakfast.

-Spider-
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    _Brun_ wrote:

This is it. He is a comedian. He's also an idiot, but he's a comedian by 'trade' so that's how they rightfully refer to him.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • spen666
    bails87 wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

This is it. He is a comedian. He's also an idiot, but he's a comedian by 'trade' so that's how they rightfully refer to him.

for other people ie if victim was sweet old lady they would no doubt refer to him as a thug / yob etc.

all terms are correct. Its a good example of spinning a story or a description

Twittering @spen_666
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    A reporter from the Rhondda Leader approaches a local resident who, he has been told, saved a toddler from the jaws of a slavering pit-bull in Pontypridd.

Conversation goes something like this;

Reporter; “Let me write you up in the paper Butt, I can see the headline now, SUPER TAFF SAVES TOT FROM KILLER HOUND”

Resident; “No, really, anyone would have done what I did, I don’t want any fuss”

Reporter; “Come on Boyo, how about “WELSH HERO RESCUES CHILD FROM VICIOUS ATTACK DOG”?”

Resident; “No, honestly. I told you I didn’t want any fuss, and anyway I’m English – moved here five years ago”

Reporter; “Ah, that’s different then, I’m going to go with ENGLISH BAR$TARD SAVAGES FAMILY PET”
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    spen666 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

for other people ie if victim was sweet old lady they would no doubt refer to him as a thug / yob etc.

No it's not. It's standard newspaper speak to put someone's profession in the opening lines of a story about them. He is a comedian. If he was a plumber, would you mention that?

Edit: 'thug' or 'yob' are matters of opinion. If the guy is a comedian, he is a comedian. If they'd called him 'hero' or something then you'd have a point. But otherwise it's a paper thin argument.
    MTB/CX

• spen666
    SimonAH wrote:
    A reporter from the Rhondda Leader approaches a local resident who, he has been told, saved a toddler from the jaws of a slavering pit-bull in Pontypridd.

Conversation goes something like this;

Reporter; “Let me write you up in the paper Butt, I can see the headline now, SUPER TAFF SAVES TOT FROM KILLER HOUND”

Resident; “No, really, anyone would have done what I did, I don’t want any fuss”

Reporter; “Come on Boyo, how about “WELSH HERO RESCUES CHILD FROM VICIOUS ATTACK DOG”?”

Resident; “No, honestly. I told you I didn’t want any fuss, and anyway I’m English – moved here five years ago”

Reporter; “Ah, that’s different then, I’m going to go with ENGLISH BAR$TARD SAVAGES FAMILY PET”

Exactly

Twittering @spen_666
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    bails87 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

No it's not. It's standard newspaper speak to put someone's profession in the opening lines of a story about them. He is a comedian. If he was a plumber, would you mention that?

Edit: 'thug' or 'yob' are matters of opinion. If the guy is a comedian, he is a comedian. If they'd called him 'hero' or something then you'd have a point. But otherwise it's a paper thin argument.

Actually would depend on the house style of the newspaper printing the story, some will use the persons profession, others won't. My local newspaper will mention a persons profession (relevent or not) as they feel it 'adds to the readers perceptions' in the story. Said local newspaper is a part of the Daily Mail group hence it's nutter, inbreed readership and hence why I don't buy it. Alas used to write for it though :(
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,334
    Comedian is convenient as it fits for 2 reasons and headline writers love a pun or double meaning, not in the fnarr fnarr vein.
    I would say thug. I've never met Murdoch but I'm not keen on him or his empire. But it's still an attack on an old man. If he's done it to Murdoch jr it still wouldn't be right but at least he's not as frail.
  • bails87
    NGale wrote:

Actually would depend on the house style of the newspaper(
    Sorry, I meant 'standard' as in pretty normal, not necessarily a fixed rule.

Maybe the paper don;t do it for anyone else, in which case it's a bit odd. But I don't see anything wrong with saying that someone who's a comedian is, in fact, a comedian.

EDIT: Not that this kkind of thing doesn't happen of course.

If an organisation agrees with you it's a 'leading thinktank', if it doesn't it's an 'unelected quango'. Talking about historical stuff 'our' side is always 'alleged' or 'said' to have done stuff. The enemy 'did' stuff'. ...for example.
    MTB/CX