OT: Route Advice - Bath -> London

notsoblue
notsoblue Posts: 5,756
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Hello hive mind,

Has anyone cycled from Bath/Bristol to (West) London? I've done it before on a hybrid, riding the Kennet & Avon canal path until Reading, but I'd like to avoid the towpath entirely as I'll be on the road bike and will want to keep a higher pace. I'm not too bothered about busy roads, though would want to avoid dual carriageways if possible

Any route recommendations?

Ta!

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    A4 all the way or

Chipping Sodbury, Malmesbury, Marlborough, Across the south down to Newbury, Newbury.......allot of back roads and map recon required. I have forgotton my route, but will see if I can google map it to you!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    gtvlusso wrote:
    A4 all the way or

Chipping Sodbury, Malmesbury, Marlborough, Across the south down to Newbury, Newbury.......allot of back roads and map recon required. I have forgotton my route, but will see if I can google map it to you!

Google Maps would be great, that way I can pop it on my Garmin. Cheers!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I've ridden A4 Reading -> Bath which was OK, but not relaxing by any means.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    From my gaff (Marlborough) to Morpeth, traffic wasn't that bad either.

http://www.dailymile.com/people/itboffi ... es/6250078

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/76562080

Edit: you could prob skip the detour half lap of RP :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pigeon42
    pigeon42 Posts: 98
    We've done Newbury - Bath cross country: from memory it took us through Vale o Pewsey, but can't remember the exact route (will see if I have the file saved still somewhere).

Coming home we just took the A4 - it wasn't too bad as it's pretty wide, only slightly hairy bit was the very first part (dual carriageway) coming out of Bath.
    FCN 10
  • pigeon42
    pigeon42 Posts: 98
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/8843282

Found it!
    Warning: the last little bit into Bath was probably th hilliest route we could have possibly picked (should have checked a map with contour lines!)
    FCN 10
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @NSB - over in "Training", there was a thread started by ShavedLegs last year sometime about his plan to beat the London-Bath (and maybe back to London) record. I don't know which route he chose, but it might be worth a look.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Try the FGW route starting at Dorchester Street :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.