Blow out!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
So there I am having one of the best rides in a long long time. Wimbledon to Clapham circa 20mins. I'm pacing/SCRing a guy on a tourer, we haven't dropped from 20+mph since Colliers Wood and a 'Dale roadie joins us in Clapham.

Clapham highstreet I'm heading downhill and the gun shot sound of my front wheel tyre exploding fills the air! Everyone is looking around for a person screaming

"Shit I been shot, I don't effing believe it"

Me? I'm hard on the brakes and swerving left into curb (no way am I falling to my right). In one deft motion I brake, swerve, unclip and stop standing up.

Nip over to Evans Cycles in Clapham but couldn't face buying a replacement tyre so got my Gran to give me a lift home....

:cry:

I was in such good form as well.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Good catch. The one time it happened to me, the tyre blew off the rim, wrapped up in the fork, stopped the bike dead and pitched me over the bars at 20mph. Turned out I'd pinched the tube, 600 miles previously.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I had a blow out like that cycling past number 1 Poultry.... the road is a bit of a chasm between relatively tall buildings at that spot and the explosion echoed loudly, as you say like a gunshot. I think a few people hit the deck....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,828
    edited July 2011
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So there I am having one of the best rides in a long long time. Wimbledon to Clapham circa 20mins. I'm pacing/SCRing a guy on a tourer, we haven't dropped from 20+mph since Colliers Wood and a 'Dale roadie joins us in Clapham.

Clapham highstreet I'm heading downhill and the gun shot sound of my front wheel tyre exploding fills the air! Everyone is looking around for a person screaming

"shoot I been shot, I don't effing believe it"

Me? I'm hard on the brakes and swerving left into curb (no way am I falling to my right). In one deft motion I brake, swerve, unclip and stop standing up.

Nip over to Evans Cycles in Clapham but couldn't face buying a replacement tyre so got my Gran to give me a lift home....

:cry:

I was in such good form as well.

Eh? Was a new tyre too expensive or something? Glad you stayed upright, though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    nice one for holding it, disappointing after that though

I've had two go one I held, one tried to skin me alive
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Only had one proper explosion in the front tyre, thankfully. They're that hardest to handle. Luckily this happened at the top of a hill, so I wasn't going fast.
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:

I blame (pending) father hood....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Is this a case of a split or hole in a rubber causing you problems again ;):D :twisted:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,828
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I blame (pending) father hood....

Now you're going to need a bit more backbone than that when DDD arrives.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    spen666 wrote:
    Is this a case of a split or hole in a rubber causing you problems again ;):D :twisted:

:lol:
    Now you're going to need a bit more backbone than that when 'Sprocket' arrives.

Funnily enough Ms DDD said I should have just bought a replacement tyre. Live and learn.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    But yeah, there really is nothing you can do in the face of a blow out. When commuting would you say trying to force yourself left when falling was better than going right?
    Food Chain number = 4

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

:lol:
    Now you're going to need a bit more backbone than that when 'Sprocket' arrives.

Funnily enough Ms DDD said I should have just bought a replacement tyre. Live and learn.

Ah - She says that now, but had you returned home with said new tyre, you would never have heard the end of it........
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I think what she said was a few months ago abnd it was something along the lines of "You should have got a new rubber, not continued to use that worn out one"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Why did you not buy a new tyre? You are going to need one to repair bike or do you have one spare at home?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • DonDaddyD
    spen666 wrote:
    I think what she said was a few months ago abnd it was something along the lines of "You should have got a new rubber, not continued to use that worn out one"

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

That's just nasty (in the unhygenic sense).

There are other forms of contraception that you can stop taking....
    Why did you not buy a new tyre? You are going to need one to repair bike or do you have one spare at home?
    I needed to think it through, I don't know why....
    Food Chain number = 4

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That'll be the baby hormones kicking in.

But maybe not...
    DDD"Hello Evan's counter staff, my tyre has blown out and I need a replacement."
    ECS"Hello DDD, congrats on the upcomming fatherhood. What tyre was it?"
    DDD"Conti Gatorskin 700c - 23"
    ECS"That'll be £24.99, but you could save a couple of quid if you buy them online."
    DDD"Oh, thanks. I'll go and visit my gran and order online so that I save the money for DDD's travel system"
    ECS"See ya. Keep an eye out for the mice and urban foxes nicking your kebab"
    DDD"Feck off, bell end!"
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That'll be the baby hormones kicking in.

But maybe not...
    DDD"Hello Evan's counter staff, my tyre has blown out and I need a replacement."
    ECS"Hello DDD, congrats on the upcomming fatherhood. What tyre was it?"
    DDD"Conti Gatorskin 700c - 23"
    ECS"That'll be £24.99, but you could save a couple of quid if you buy them online."
    DDD"Oh, thanks. I'll go and visit my gran and order online so that I save the money for DDD's travel system"
    ECS"See ya. Keep an eye out for the mice and urban foxes nicking your kebab"
    DDD"Feck off, bell end!"

Big chuckle :D Cheers Eke
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    DonDaddyD, good catch. Unfortunately an errant Boris Biker pulling out as I was desperately trying to avoid the deck stopped me saving my blow-out last night :oops:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oh you wimp. Surely you could have hammered down with the power awsome and got her up on the back wheel?

I've seen a clip somewhere of someone doing a fakie wheelie.....

Wasn't this one, it was a japanese fella hammering down the road doing it, but you get the idea;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz9XRnV2qLk
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD, good catch. Unfortunately an errant Boris Biker pulling out as I was desperately trying to avoid the deck stopped me saving my blow-out last night :oops:

Sorry to here that dude!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Glad you stayed upright! I stupidly managed to use my l337 riding skillz to ride over a stone on the descent of Toys (I think) Hill when out on a Sunday ride with Ketsabai once. Blew the rear tyre out which wasn't fun on a fast decent in the wet :shock:

Managed to keep upright on the bike then I think I had more problem walking down the hill to a safe place to fix the tyre. Kets was already ahead of me at this point so I had no chance of getting him back. He did return a few minutes later when he realized I wasn't behind him. Had to cut the ride short as I'd buggered a few spokes, the wheel was out of true and rubbing under standing efforts!!

I've also had the inconvience of complete sidewall failures and its a total ballache....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5