One way street...

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
....or not?
http://goo.gl/8JKpL <-streetview link

I had ridden through the car park on the left of the screen here, (past the red Citroen and silver Peugeot 406) and was then turning 'right' to head south on Market Street. A cyclist and three cars, heading West on Market Place, turned right, all of them cut the corner right off and went across the hatching on the inside of the corner, almost hitting me head on as I was coming to a halt, getting ready to turn right.

All 4 of them gave me dirty looks and the last of them mouthed 'one way' at me as he went past, to which I replied "no, two way".

He then stopped and pointed at the signs further up the road as proof that it was a one way street.....

He's wrong isn't he? The road out of the car park is two way, the one way 'zone' only starts at the sign, shhhurely?
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    There are Give Way lines on the left where the hatching is. Clearly for traffic to give way to oncoming from Market St.

Looks like they were wrong - they drove OVER the Give Way lines.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Yeh definitely a two way on that junction. Also no one way sign up on that junction just confirm it.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    edited July 2011
    yes - can't be one way as it has a combo of double and single lines at the junction
    Also that Holoway apears to be a cul desac and henc etraffic will come back out of it, there isn't a no right turn sign near the one way signs hence you can turn left into teh oneway or right to where you went.

Maybe the dirty look was if you were right over to the right of your lane making it hard for them to turn in. Whilst that is the usual position when turning right, at that junction you can't turn left and hence you could safely position yourself further left without fear of being left hooked.

They were still wrong though.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    nod, you were correct. It's not a ncie junction but that area around there is two way
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • bails87
    t4tomo wrote:
    Maybe the dirty look was if you were right over to the right of your lane making it hard for them to turn in. Whilst that is the usual position when turning right, at that junction you can't turn left and hence you could safely position yourself further left without fear of being left hooked.

I was aware of that, so I was pretty much on the line in between the lane and the hatchings, maybe a foot away from it, so well over to my left. As I said, they all went over the hatchings then had to go out, around me, to get past.

It's just one of those junctions where there's normally no traffic coming the other way, so people treat it as if there's never any traffic coming the other way, there's one very similar at the end of my road. So I'll often have 15 miles of pleasant riding, only to be nearly hit by people cutting the corner 100 yards from home :roll:

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's nice to be right! :)

EDIT: It wasn't a major thing, they were all going slowly, there was no abuse or anything, it's just frustrating to be in the right and then be told you're wrong by someone who's clearly in the wrong themselves.
    MTB/CX

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    bails87 wrote:
    It wasn't a major thing, they were all going slowly, there was no abuse or anything, it's just frustrating to be in the right and then be told you're wrong by someone who's clearly in the wrong themselves.
    Welcome to life!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    It wasn't a major thing, they were all going slowly, there was no abuse or anything, it's just frustrating to be in the right and then be told you're wrong by someone who's clearly in the wrong themselves.
    Welcome to life!

Simon
    :lol:

True, I just wanted to be sure I was in the right, as if I was wrong I wouldn't go that way again.
    MTB/CX