Major road building projects and cyclists

lvquestpaddler
lvquestpaddler Posts: 416
edited July 2011 in Campaign
I'm planning to write to my local MP (Danny Alexander, Con) and MSP(Dave Thompson, SNP) regarding the dualling of the A9 at Crubenmore(2 mile section approx) which has been underway since November last year, and is scheduled to be completed in September.
The reason has only become apparent in the last month or so, when the "tourist" season has kicked in and touring cyclists and teams of LEJOG riders are becoming more common. The fact is there is no provision whatsoever for cyclists to pass this area safely during this hectic construction phase, and having seen touring cyclists confused and risking life and limb with the usual mad traffic on this singletrack road, weaving in and out of cones because there is no safe way to get through this construction site disgusts me. Continental riders must be gobsmacked by our total lack of concern and respect for cyclists. The only other route would be a huge detour around Laggan from Dalwhinnie coming out at Newtonmore. The new road has already obliterated a right of way crossing at Etteridge(for bikes, horses and foot) that was once part of General Wades Military Road through the Highlands.
Why is this not part of any plans for the construction phase? Edinburgh had the same problem with the road from the bridge to the city when the new link was put in, cyclists were banned from the road altogether, affecting many commuters.
Frankly it disgusts me, and it's disgraceful that no consideration is given at the planning stage- what would be the cost to put in a temporary basic tar track a metre wide at the side? Peanuts in a bit of road that is costing £10m+......

Comments

• snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    The new road has already obliterated a right of way crossing at Etteridge(for bikes, horses and foot) that was once part of General Wades Military Road through the Highlands.
    Why is this not part of any plans for the construction phase?
    Frankly it disgusts me, and it's disgraceful that no consideration is given at the planning stage- what would be the cost to put in a temporary basic tar track a metre wide at the side? Peanuts in a bit of road that is costing £10m+......
    It's too late to complain now, as with all projects of this nature the plans were available for public comment. The question should be, why was there no public outcry at the consultation stage?
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    With you on this one - rode lejog in May/June and this was the worst stretch of road we encountered. However we rode it pretty defensively - taking primary wherever the road was way to narrow for vehicle to overtake and came through unscathed. Good luck but as snorri says its a bit late to complain now.

Paul