Investigative T.V. journalism

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Why is it undercover tv journalists (indeed why should it take them) to get into various organisations and expose wrong doings when bodies set up to maintain standards just get the wool pulled over their eyes? I'm thinking of the care home/hospital in Bristol that Panorama exposed.

I think it's a technique that such organisations should have in their arsenal.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Sort of a beefed up "secret shopper" you mean? Probably a funding issue :roll:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I wonder if the people who think that there is something wrong actually know that ther is a regulator that they should complain to. It seems to me that the media is their first port of call instead of reporting their concerns to the regulator. Of course, there is no knowing how many instances of abuse the regulator stopped on there own without putting a freedom of information request.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Possibly the fact that regulators announce their inspection dates in advance may be part of the problem. :shock:

http://www.cypnow.co.uk/Social_Care/art ... ens-homes/

FAIL
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Doesn't do a "public servant's" career prospects any good, to flag issues that a local, or national, authority doesn't want to hear about!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Have always thought something similiar about illegal workers. One of the much trumpeted 'advantages' about ID cards we were always told about was that they would help solve the problem of illegal workers but I'm sure I recall investagtive programs were they could find them in one afternoon by making a few phone calls. Must be a resource issue of having enough people to go out there and look.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Just pop into any field in Lincolnshire, in winter, where there's a whole load of poor sods picking veg in the cold & wet!
    None of the idle, workshy will do that!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.