The Canyon bikes thread

poppit
poppit Posts: 926
edited April 2016 in MTB general
Just out of interest, how many of us have bought a Canyon and which one have we bought, wondered how much impact good reviews and thread posts have on bike sales. I'll start the ball rolling:

AM 8.0 (black)
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Dolan L'Etape
Cougar Zero Uno
Genesis Core 50
Planet X TOR

Comments

• Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    XC 8.0 (red) - bought after riding my mate's XC 9.0.

Have another mate with an XC 9.0 too.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    I am said Shackster's mate, who first took the plunge with the XC 9.0 (in black) based on the amazing reviews it's gathered.

Got caught out by the brake hose routing issue (there's a lengthy thread on that!) highlighted by Stubs, but they compensated me for that damage, which I thought was fair. Had no problems over delivery/communication, although it was earlier in the year, so may have missed out on any supply probs caused by demand.

I'm really happy with it - for the money, unless you can sniff out a peach of a bargain in the end of year sales, I doubt you can better the spec.
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • Albirdave
    Albirdave Posts: 21
    Hi Poppit!
    I'm not a Canyon owner,but there is a growing number of them on the trails,mountains etc here in Spain.

I have included here a link to the Offical Canyon forum in Spain.
    ok its in Spanish,but google translater can help you there.

http://www.foromtb.com/forumdisplay.php?76-Canyon-España
  • I have a canyon nerve am 7.0 arriving next week (hopefully) cant wait!!!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 in black.

Loving it apart from the DT Swiss rims which are a bit soft and after 300 miles had 2 dings in the front rim and 4 in the rear.

Swapped the DT rims for some Mavic XM719 rims using new DT spokes. Tried out the new rims by smashing them over every rock and pothole I could find and no dings.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Fudgie
    Fudgie Posts: 68
    XC 8.0 in black ordered immediately after reading the review of the 9.0 in WMB trail bike of the year. I chose the 8.0 for Shimano XT.

Only things I've changed or will change are the Nobby Nics to Nevegals (personal choice) and the bar grips to ODI Ruffian lock-ons.

It really flatters my riding and does everything so well that I can't imagine wanting anything else.
    Canyon Nerve XC 8.0 2011
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    Back to echo Fudgie on pretty much everything he said.

Swapped off the Nobbys - personal preference (for Maxxis Ardents in my case) and binned the grips after one ride - but if grips are the weakest link....

And I can feel it wants to do more than I'm technically capable of, if that makes any sense at all.
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • cl1988
    cl1988 Posts: 19
    i am waiting of a nerve xc 7 hopefully coming within the next week or so. should be a nice upgrade from my current specialized hardrock 2007
  • jimpy
    jimpy Posts: 31
    canyon nerve am 7.0. had problems with delivery and rear brake cable routing. all sorted by LBS and payed for by canyon uk. word or warning - first bike shop i contacted were not keen as it was a canyon. if you live in south wales and need canyon friendly LBS, PM me
  • masterdooh
    masterdooh Posts: 109
    I am eyeing up a Nerve AM 9.0 to take with me when I leave the UK end of the year. Just wish you could spec the colours a bit better
  • salad
    salad Posts: 11
    I've a Nerve XC 5.0 which arrived in early June and I'm really happy with it. Goes like a rocket :D
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 5.0
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    To all you Canyon owners, how did you get on with the sizing? I may be tempted by one of these in the future but i would want to try one for size first? Is it a case of guess the size and hope it fits? What if it doesn't fit me when it comes??
  • Rigga
    To all you Canyon owners, how did you get on with the sizing? I may be tempted by one of these in the future but i would want to try one for size first? Is it a case of guess the size and hope it fits? What if it doesn't fit me when it comes??
  • stubs
    If you go on the Canyon site there is a sizing guide with instructions on how to measure yourself. When you get the bike you have 30 days to change your mind and ask for a different size.

Where do you live someone might be near you that will let you have a tryout
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Rigga
    stubs wrote:
    If you go on the Canyon site there is a sizing guide with instructions on how to measure yourself. When you get the bike you have 30 days to change your mind and ask for a different size.

Where do you live someone might be near you that will let you have a tryout

Ok stubs cheers for that. I live in West Yorkshire what size do you reckon xl equates to? 21inch or 22??
  • stubs
    Rigga wrote:

Ok stubs cheers for that. I live in West Yorkshire what size do you reckon xl equates to? 21inch or 22??

Its hard to say every company has a different idea on sizes I have a medium F/S and a large H/T that are exactly the same size if you run a tape measure over them. I am 6 foot and I have a medium canyon nerve XC and I probably could have got on with a large I am right on the border of medium and large but took the concious decision to go for the medium as I wanted a shorter bike that turned better than my old Commencal super 4 which was a large.

I have a pretty good idea of what size I need just by looking at the geometry chart but thats because I have bought quite a few bikes over the years including several that didnt fit.
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    Nerve AM 7.0 Medium. My rear brake is routed over the BB, but there's no tension or rubbing, so I'm leaving it that way as I think it keeps it out the way of rock strikes. I will be duck taping it to make sure there's no rub though.

5'11" and 32" inside leg, and I fit nicely on the M 18.5".
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • poppit
    Also, just ordered an AL 8.0W as a winter/back up hardtail for my partner.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    Although really want one of these as it is a thing of beauty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlLZ8e1tct4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • marcaudsley
    marcaudsley Posts: 187
    Strive ES8 in black. Love it
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    I must say their "budget" DH bike looks awesome value and a great way into the sport!
  • sdalby
    sdalby Posts: 139
    Nerve XC 6.0, Black.

Bloody fantastic!!!
    Never put off until tomorrow something that you can do today. 'Cause if you do it today, and like it, the you can do it again tomorrow!!
  • simowill
    simowill Posts: 56
    Nerve AM 6.0 .

Very please with it!!!
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Kona Firemountain HT
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    I've got a Nerve XC7 in black

I've only changed the grips to some lock ons as the originals felt a bit small .

I've had it since April and love it to bits
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • mcboo
    mcboo Posts: 5
    Lux MR 9 here, carbon full suss racey thingy.

6'3, the sizing tool wanted to put me on a L but I'd ridden (and returned no quibble) a large Nerve MR 9 SL which was a bit small for me.

Shortened the stem to 100mm from 120mm

Swapped the super skinny grips for lock-ons

Risers now on my hardtail, replaced by flats and bar ends for racing.

Carbon post on my roadbike where it is much needed, replaced by Thomson.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Bike Bloke wrote:
    I must say their "budget" DH bike looks awesome value and a great way into the sport!

If you mean the Torque FRX 9.0, it's sold out in all sizes... Luckily I got mine a few months ago and have had an absolute blast on it ever since.

Ridiculous spec for the money and I can't fault the service/communication I had from them either.
  • poppit
    mcboo wrote:
    Lux MR 9 here, carbon full suss racey thingy.

6'3, the sizing tool wanted to put me on a L but I'd ridden (and returned no quibble) a large Nerve MR 9 SL which was a bit small for me.

Shortened the stem to 100mm from 120mm

Swapped the super skinny grips for lock-ons

Risers now on my hardtail, replaced by flats and bar ends for racing.

Carbon post on my roadbike where it is much needed, replaced by Thomson.

I have to say that I really like the look of the Lux MR's, nice to see that it's not just the Nerve's that people are buying.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • mcboo
    mcboo Posts: 5
    I have to say that I really like the look of the Lux MR's, nice to see that it's not just the Nerve's that people are buying.

I havent seen any other Lux around at all. Few folk asked me about them at events, mulling over a purchase. Think they need to attend some race's, let people throw a leg over them.

Am pretty sure vast majority of mtb sales in the UK are Nerve XC, 120 x 120mm. Carbon race bikes less mass appeal I guess, have never seen a magazine grouptest, just the same old "Trail bike of the Year".
  • Reckless
    Reckless Posts: 17
    Nerve XC 9.0
    Loving it!
  • madmossy
    madmossy Posts: 42
    What about the YT Tues DH, anyone have any experience with those ?

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index ... vi5cbp06c4