Phone hacking fall out

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Cameron.................................tory b@st@rd should go.

The countries top copper has done the decent thing, time the cnut in number 10 should do the same. Swim in sh1t and you will start to smell yourself.

See ya "Dave".

I/we should be so lucky. :roll:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    Hear, hear ! And then turncoat Clegg should call a general election to test the country's confidence in the Government - and we could get rid of the whole lot lot of the Eton millionaires.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • lifeform
    lifeform Posts: 126
    And replaced with what exactly?

The problem is less about the finances or education of the individual, it's about the fact that most of those in the Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet have never known a life outside of professional politics.

Don't forget that the richest man in politics in recent years was Gordonstoun educated Tony Blair, and the scandals that followed him around are in a different league to anything currently on show; Cameron employing, briefly, a former News International hack as press adviser versus Blair lying to Parliament to take an entire country to war?

That's not to defend the current shower in charge, but let's keep it in perspective eh?

I'd rather someone entered politics as a millionare, than used a decade of crashing Blighty into the rocks to become a multi-millionaire
  • lifeform wrote:
    And replaced with what exactly?

The problem is less about the finances or education of the individual, it's about the fact that most of those in the Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet have never known a life outside of professional politics.

Don't forget that the richest man in politics in recent years was Gordonstoun educated Tony Blair, and the scandals that followed him around are in a different league to anything currently on show; Cameron employing, briefly, a former News International hack as press adviser versus Blair lying to Parliament to take an entire country to war?

That's not to defend the current shower in charge, but let's keep it in perspective eh?

I'd rather someone entered politics as a millionare, than used a decade of crashing Blighty into the rocks to become a multi-millionaire

+1

And don't forget that the last bunch of cretins in government ran us to virtual bankruptcy, so we can't even have decent services and any sort of operational aircraft carrier. And the irony is that we are all worse off because of their stupidity and self-interest.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    I can't believe everyone is getting so excited about all of this.

The NOTW have resorted to this level of journalism because of the general publics voracious appetite for intrusive stories on anyone and everyone. Even most of the supposed celebrities that appear in the papers are famous for no other reason than being in the papers.

Like it or lump it; if you read the NOTW you played your part in this as well. And they won't be the only paper that has done it either.

As for the PM resigning, surely your talking like a nob. He employed someone who he possibly shouldn't but at least he's admitted that and said that he felt that the guy deserved a second chance.

I don't follow any political party as I believe they are all lying b'stards who are only out to feather they're own nest but admit to having admired the fact that Cameron isn't scared to admit a mstake or change a previously made decision if it is proved to be wrong. Unlike most politicians who would just blunder on regardless.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    pauldavid wrote:

As for the PM resigning, surely your talking like a nob. He employed someone who he possibly shouldn't but at least he's admitted that and said that he felt that the guy deserved a second chance.

The issue is now with police corruption, rather than the journos. If Cameron is caught up in that, then it's a big deal.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    pauldavid wrote:

Except he was warned multiple times not to hire him and his advisers saw what the journalists who broke the story knew *last year* . And continued having overly close relationship even when Coulson left.

His upper class arrogance that makes him think he's untouchable got the better of him this time
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • All caught P*ss'in in the same pot...comes to mind
  • Frank the tank
    I carry no torch for Blair so you won't get an argument from me on that.

The reason the nation is skint is not totally down to the last admiistration, but that's been done to death on here in the past.

The head of the met resigned after employing an ex employee of news international who was seemingly "clean". Cameron on the other hand employed Coulson in full knowledge of his more than dodgy history. The man is not a good judge of character and the pm should be. It's not so much a character mis-judgement as turning a blind eye to someones bad history.

This whole thing has a long way to run yet and there will be a lot to come to light. Even the arrest of carrot-top might be a ruse by the met (for whatever reason) to further limit what she can say tomorrow. I think the surface has only been scratched and I would bet there are a lot of polititians/policemen/journos sitting on twitchy rings.

I still feel Cameron should go even if only to be replaced by someone not too dissimilar.
    Tail end Charlie

• Just wonder if the next order for toilet rolls have gone up by 100% at the Met & No 10
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Frankly I'm becoming increasingly annoyed by the way this story is monopolising the news as if it was the only thing that mattered.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Trouble is you undermine your argument about a pm having judgement and integrity with your opening jibe about being a Tory.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    pauldavid wrote:

The issue is now with police corruption, rather than the journos. If Cameron is caught up in that, then it's a big deal.

+1

All this title tattle is just deflecting from the real story.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Politicians sucking up to PR merchants & News International?
    Who'd have thought of it?
    http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... cause.html
    None of our current crop of politicians, on any side, have any integrity. They're all in it for what they can get.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Perhaps the speed and solidarity of the MP's to block Murdocks BSkyB takeover might have something to do with them being worried about possible implecation in corruption claims?

Only speculating of course :wink:
  • verylonglegs
    Should imagine Vince Cable feels pretty smug right now.
  • Frank the tank
    Should imagine Vince Cable feels pretty smug right now.

:lol::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Great idea, lets axe DC over his small link to this, and replace him with a left liberal, or worse....labour!!! :shock:

I agree he should have taken more notice of the advise given, but lord, most politicians have done far, far worse.

I think a harder line should be taken with more senior members of the news group (i.e RM)
  • rick_chasey
    Odds on Cameron resigined down to 20/1

If Cameron resigns he'll be replaced by another Tory - not another party.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Great idea, lets axe DC over his small link to this, and replace him with a left liberal, or worse....labour!!! :shock:

I agree he should have taken more notice of the advise given, but lord, most politicians have done far, far worse.

I think a harder line should be taken with more senior members of the news group (i.e RM)

Small link?!!! Cameron was at a party hosted by the Murdocks the night before the Milly Dowler hacking revelations came out. Someone near to him would have known this but he still went.

Perhaps it was to collect/deliver a brown paper envelope?

alledgedly :wink:
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Personally I have come to expect all politicians to be self-serving shites only out to enrich themselves, willing to part their cheeks to whomever can help them toward this goal. This hoo-hah will pass, although it does make me laugh to hear the BBC going on about media empires and monopolies... pot calling kettle black there :lol:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Any of you live in Watford? You'll be worried soon if you do.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Frank the tank
    Aggieboy wrote:

It said on the news he was in the process of making more revalations/allegations.

Conspiracy theories anyone? :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

• verylonglegs
    Was listening to a radio show tonight where they started off by listing how many people and the position they held have had to resign over this so far, it really hit home how deep this is going to hear it listed like that. Governement advisor, top two at the Met, chief execs...a complete newspaper disappearing..and that's before any more official investigations report their findings.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Aggieboy wrote:

The whole thing is starting to resemble a John Le Carré story now. Maybe it's all a viral marketing campaign for the new film version of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy?
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    it does make me laugh to hear the BBC going on about media empires and monopolies... pot calling kettle black there :lol:

Yeah they're all the same aren't they?

There's News International and their hacking of murdered schoolgirls mobile phones, destruction of evidence, the lies presented as fact, the routine breaking of the law, their bribing of the police, their open attempts to decide elections rather than leaving it to the electorate, their manipulation of politicians and that.

And then there's the BBC with their......their......erm......
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    Given this is a cycling forum - surely the important issue is what does it mean for Team Sky?!

If James Murdoch steps down (as seems more and more likely) then does that endanger the sponsorship? Does the failure of News International to buy the remaining BSkyB shares make it more or less likely that the sponsorship will continue?

Do we know how contractually they are locked in, if at all?
  • rick_chasey
    sylvanus wrote:
    Given this is a cycling forum - surely the important issue is what does it mean for Team Sky?!

If James Murdoch steps down (as seems more and more likely) then does that endanger the sponsorship?

The odds on Murdoch leaving are pretty even..

Murdoch to leave:

No 1.47
    Yes 1.42
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    So anyone any idea what it means for Team Sky? They've had a tough time of it in the TdF but I'm still very pleased they exist and very impressed by what they've done and set out to do.

I'd be very sad to see the sponsorship withdrawn but its almsot got to the stage where you could argue that the NI / Sky name is damaging their 'clean' image.

Maybe I'm asking on the wrong thread? Does this mean that anyone who knows about pro cycling is avoiding cake stop?!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    sylvanus wrote:

If James Murdoch steps down (as seems more and more likely) then does that endanger the sponsorship? Does the failure of News International to buy the remaining BSkyB shares make it more or less likely that the sponsorship will continue?

Do we know how contractually they are locked in, if at all?

Given that NI is a global media organisation, their profit is something like £4 bill a year, the current fiasco/scandal has bought down chiefs of a corrupt police force, a hugely succesful and longstanding paper, journalists, a family's name etc etc, I suppose the shenanigans of a cycle team of which the only connection is that NI own 30 odd% percent of the company that sponsors them is at the very bottom of their list of priorities.

Put it this way, NI overall probably spend more on paper cups each year than they do on Sky's sponsorship, even if they did pay it all - which they don't. They don't pay any of it.

They won't even be part of the signing parties to the deal for they are just shareholders in Sky (and not even majority shareholders as far as I am aware): after all, I think that I may own some barclays shares but as far as I remember I wasn't party to signing the Premership deal.

And yes, Sky will be tied in contractually. If they break it, they pay. The exact dertails - no. Unless you are party to it or drafted it, a load of random people on an internet forum won't know. But I can make up some things if you want.

But as Sky aren't tied into this broo ha ha, they won't care what the Murdochs do/don't do.

Hope that re-assures you.

Y
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    sylvanus wrote:
    So anyone any idea what it means for Team Sky? They've had a tough time of it in the TdF but I'm still very pleased they exist and very impressed by what they've done and set out to do.

I'd be very sad to see the sponsorship withdrawn but its almsot got to the stage where you could argue that the NI / Sky name is damaging their 'clean' image.

Maybe I'm asking on the wrong thread? Does this mean that anyone who knows about pro cycling is avoiding cake stop?!

Makes no difference at all to their sponsorship deal.

The deal is between team Sky and Sky, not T/S and NI.

Sky make enough money as it is to be able to sponsor who they want. That's why NI wanted to buy the remaining shares: money, not to be the sponsor of a small fairly team in a minority sport.

No its not damaging their "clean image". They aren't sponsored by NI by they are sponsored by a company that is part owned by NI. They aren't sponsored by arms dealers or drug barons. They ares ponsored by a satellite media station.

This has nothing to do with "knowing about pro cycling". This has to do with business and it won't affect T/S.

HTH

Y