The Tour so far.

Aggieboy
Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Great tour so far, for various reasons. The lack of anything special by the GC contenders so far, has been made up for me by -

Hoogerland's and Flecha's continuation (now add Ten Dam)

Thor H breaking away from the peloton and the chase, made all the better for some reason as he was in the WC jersey

Thor_Hushovd_1947927i.jpg

Voeckler's gutsy ride today.

ap-201107161248461172149.jpg

Just seeing Stuart O'Grady and especially today Jens Voigt after 2 accidents, putting the pressure on for so long at the front of the LT team. They are awesome. Shame they're on the Schleck's team, I can't stand them.

(9)tdf14_VOIGT%20ESCAPE%202.jpg
"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."

Comments

• neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Jen's is my man of the day, too. He seemed to be hanging around for ages after his first crash, waiting for his wheels to get changed, and after crash number 2 I thought he'd lost any motivation. Couldn't work out how he seemed to suddenly appear in front of the Shreks. Did he get beamed there?

Also been enjoying it and been let down by the "stars". It's very rare that I enjoy the flat stages more than the mountains.
  • Aggieboy
    After his accidents and being picked up by the peloton when he went and got the bottles/gels, whizzed back along handing them out and then took a long turn at the front :shock:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • neilo23
    Aggieboy wrote:
    After his accidents and being picked up by the peloton when he went and got the bottles/gels, whizzed back along handing them out and then took a long turn at the front :shock:

You forgot about nipping to the blacksmith's to forge some new forks :lol:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I hope Voeckler stays in the yellow all the way to Paris. He was fantastic today. If none of the big boys can be bothered, then let someone who shows real desire and passion. I like Voeckler.
  • neilo23
    I hope Voeckler stays in the yellow all the way to Paris. He was fantastic today. If none of the big boys can be bothered, then let someone who shows real desire and passion. I like Voeckler.

I'll second that. And I hope that Roy gets a 10 minute lead on the final day and wins on the Champs Elysees. Both unlikely, but they, along with a few others, have overshadowed the big boys completely.
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I liked rollands pacing of tommy V. The pair of them suffering for the jersey, brrilliant.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Do you think it is being ridden very conservative?

With the expected big hitters not firing, or is it just me expecting to much! to soon.
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Tomorrow will change things. There is under 2 minutes separating Voeckler and Frank Schleck. Keep an eye out.

Any idea why Boardman believes Voigt's second crash was due to carbon rims? Too much flex? Voigt is the man.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    ChrisSA wrote:
    Tomorrow will change things. There is under 2 minutes separating Voeckler and Frank Schleck. Keep an eye out.

Any idea why Boardman believes Voigt's second crash was due to carbon rims? Too much flex? Voigt is the man.

Harmon on Eurosport was speculating about carbon rims causing Thomas's problems the day before, because the brakes get grabby. It was damp though, and Thomas didn't mention rims afterwards.
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Hmmm.......I imagine it's fairly damp at the top of a mountain.
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    I was only able to have today's stage on in the background, but didn't they say it was possibly due to the melting tarmac?
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    ChrisSA wrote:

Tomorrow is a flat stage, can't see anything happening apart from some one falling off.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Aggieboy
    ChrisSA wrote:

Tomorrow is a flat stage, can't see anything happening apart from some one falling off.

I agree. Someone's got to do something in the Alps or it'll be down to the TT'ing of Evans. As I said I can't stand the Schleck's but I think they'd be better off in seperate teams, taking control/making decisions for themselves.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I think the Schlecks are OK but I did wonder about Andy saying he didn't mind whether he or Frank wins. I can't really see how that approach sits with either of them being able or prepared to take it by the throat and make it happen.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Today's highlight - the Eurosport egg in crisps experiment :D

Tomorrow's highlight (I hope) - Canvendish loses the green jersey
  • MrChuck wrote:
    ChrisSA wrote:

Harmon on Eurosport was speculating about carbon rims causing Thomas's problems the day before, because the brakes get grabby. It was damp though, and Thomas didn't mention rims afterwards.
    Sh1t...or more specifically 'mousse vache' I recall as being blamed for residue on the road causing problems.

Voeckler. Please. If only to keep the others on their toes.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I have to say as well having watched eurosports coverage and itv4's that itv's wins hands down. Not just ligget and shrwin but also rendell/imlach and boardman.

The excitement of Hushovds solo effort into lourdes was matched by Ligget and Sherwans rapid exchanges; they just captured the excitement.

Harmons was dead.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Aggieboy
    Fignon's being honoured in Montpellier tomorrow by having a street named after him.. Hopefully, someone (Voeckler excluded) will take inspiration from it.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    I'm really enjoying this tour, loads more than last years. But the guys over in pro racing are slagging it off big time. :?
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Do you think the fact the "favorites" are locked together up the climbs is the lack of dope?
  • Aggieboy
    holmeboy wrote:
    Do you think the fact the "favorites" are locked together up the climbs is the lack of dope?

Yeah, Contador would be leading otherwise :lol::wink:

Anyone else notice Bertie's name printed across one of these Spanish flags during y'day's stage? Oh, the irony.

1.1216236240.spainish-flag-with-bull.jpg
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Aggieboy wrote:
    holmeboy wrote:

Yeah, Contador would be leading otherwise :lol::wink:

Anyone else notice Bertie's name printed across one of these Spanish flags during y'day's stage? Oh, the irony.

1.1216236240.spainish-flag-with-bull.jpg

Haha contaminated meat :D
  • bullocks
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Aggieboy
    Respect..................

01b8c73b40a11d432afd8544844c9cf0-getty-_.jpg
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    That image is a picture of professionalism/grit and determination personified.

Great post Aggie.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, respect is due.

Mind you, I have seen a few starting audaxes that look like that :wink: