Rear Mech: SRAM Rival

Seat: Sella Italia C2
Seat Post: Ritchey carbon
Seat Post Clamp: Scott

Cranks: Shimano 105
Chainring(s): Shimano 105 50/34
Chain: SRAM Rival
Cassette: SRAM Rival 11-25
Pedals: Crank Bros Egg Beaters (I know, off the old MTB)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano press fit BB86

Front Wheel: Mavix Ascuim Race
Rim: Mavix Ascuim Race
Spokes: Mavix Ascuim Race
Hub: Mavix Ascuim Race
Tube: Continental
Tire: Continental Ultra Race

Back Wheel: Mavix Ascuim Race
Rim: Mavix Ascuim Race
Spokes: Mavix Ascuim Race
Hub: Mavix Ascuim Race
Tube: Continental
Tire: Continental Ultra Race

Accessories: Bottle cage, soon a computer/Garmin 500

Weight: ? approx 7.5Kg ?

This is my first road bike since a Dawes I had in my early teens (about 20 years ago now).

Broke up and sold my old MTB to pay for it, hence the Egg Beater pedals, saddle is also of the old MTB as I know it's comfortable.

The bike came with 105, but I prefer Rival so a this was swapped over in the shop. All except the chainset as it proved too much of a challenge to find a BB/shims that would allow the Rival chainset to be fitted. Bit of a shame, would have liked it all to match, but the 105 is probably the better chainset, so I'll live with it for now.

Due to another c0ck up, I had to fit a new BB and fit the chainset/index all the gears myself. Took ages to get the gears indexed but are now very positive a quick changing. Really like the Rival groupset.

First ride today went well, after the MTB it feels so fast and smooth. Makes riding a MTB feel like riding through treacle.

All in all very happy with it as it is. Only things I want to do is swap the hoods and bar tape to black to match the saddle. That, and the the stem is a bit too long, a 120mm or 130mm would be better then I could level the bars slightly as at the mo I've angled them up to make it more comfortable.

I hope to swap the chainset for a SRAM one some time in the future, just so it all matches.

Comments

• wruds
    wruds Posts: 74
    how do you get on with the 'egg beaters'. I'm looking for an alternative to my Keo Easy. Considering Time or even spd's
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I find them fine, but I'm used to them off my old MTB and I've never ridden with proper road clipless. To be honest they're only one there till I get some cash to get real road clipless.
  • Looks great - nice job Rich! Colour scheme is top notch.

Glad you like the Rival shifters.
  • Anonymous
    Looks great - nice job Rich! Colour scheme is top notch.

Glad you like the Rival shifters.

Thanks Dave. Just need to change the bar tape and hoods I think to complete it. A job for tomorrow I think.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Nice looking bike.

I do think eggbeaters, spd etc.. look ridiculous on a road bike. SPD-SL, Time or look pedals look so much nicer.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    I have egg beaters and think they are great

low weight and loads of knee saving float, see no reason to change and if I wear my carbon soled MTB shoes...no flex and I can walk like a relatively normal person off the bike!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Anonymous
    speshsteve wrote:
    I have egg beaters and think they are great

low weight and loads of knee saving float, see no reason to change and if I wear my carbon soled MTB shoes...no flex and I can walk like a relatively normal person off the bike!

I'd be interested to know if there is any real improvement in terms of performance by swapping to real road pedals. I was kind of thinking I should swap to proper road pedals at some point.

Only problem I have with them is the cleats seem to wear out really quickly and this seems due to just clipping and unclipping as my left cleat (one I always put down when I stop at red lights) wears a lot quicker than the right.
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    [quote

Only problem I have with them is the cleats seem to wear out really quickly and this seems due to just clipping and unclipping as my left cleat (one I always put down when I stop at red lights) wears a lot quicker than the right.[/quote]

You could swap the cleats over when the left one wears down too much to even out the wear.
    Luke
  • Anonymous
    Lucky Luke wrote:

Only problem I have with them is the cleats seem to wear out really quickly and this seems due to just clipping and unclipping as my left cleat (one I always put down when I stop at red lights) wears a lot quicker than the right.

You could swap the cleats over when the left one wears down too much to even out the wear.

That is a very good idea. Only thing is with Egg Beaters the amount of float is determined by which side you put which cleat. IIRC one cleat has a dot and depending which side you put this one determines the float.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    How tall are you?
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Lucky Luke wrote:

That is a very good idea. Only thing is with Egg Beaters the amount of float is determined by which side you put which cleat. IIRC one cleat has a dot and depending which side you put this one determines the float.

OK. I see. Haven't used eggbeaters you see, I was thinking of the SPD-SLs I use when you could swap them over if you wished. I don't know if it helps but when I first got a road bike I myself initially used SPDs but did feel a significant benefit when later I switched to SPD-SLs . I felt more 'connected' to the bike if you understand me and with the bigger platform (I think) my feet remained more comfortable on long rides although equally it could be down to better shoes I suppose. Anyway I think you'll find not many people change FROM SPD-SLs whcih surely says something. Just my 2p worth. Nice bike BTW, I have a 2008 R4 myself with Ultegra SL and DuraAce wheels and love it. Cheers.
    Luke
  • Anonymous
    How tall are you?

Just under 6'7". This is a XXL and seat tube is fine, may need a 10mm or so shorter stem for a perfect fit.
  • Anonymous
    gaz545 wrote:
    Nice looking bike.

I do think eggbeaters, spd etc.. look ridiculous on a road bike. SPD-SL, Time or look pedals look so much nicer.

Fitted some Look pedals today. Your right dose look better. Rides better to, feel a lot better connected. Feels faster but don't know if they really make a difference.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    A very nice bike. Looks great in black and white :)
    Simon
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Lovely lovely lovely looking bike, but jesus, do you have anything in that room?
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Very sharp and for such a large bike it looks really in proportion - oh and sharp photography too!
  • Anonymous
    Lovely lovely lovely looking bike, but jesus, do you have anything in that room?

Haha, thanks. And no not much. PC, sofa and TV. That is all.

I can also lay claim to my living room is on the front of a book -
    see here - I took the photo to.
  • Nice bike. Do you have pictures of the new pedals. I have to agree that road SPD-SL are the best. I have recently bought some Shimano 105 and have never looked back.
  • Anonymous
    Nice bike. Do you have pictures of the new pedals. I have to agree that road SPD-SL are the best. I have recently bought some Shimano 105 and have never looked back.

No Internet connection at mo, (sat in Internet cafe). Can post when back up. Brought some Cinelle black bar tape today as well.
  • Anonymous
    Would look even better with the Reynolds Asualt wheels for sale in the classifieds on this very site, sadly no funds. :(
  • Anonymous
    304505_10150369674884973_774584972_9753942_249083406_n.jpg

Now with proper roadie pedals, black bar tape and new Reynolds wheels. The Reynolds are soo much better than the Mavics, much stiffer, feels like a completely different bike.