Fixie/Flip Flop frame/bike

ollyridesfirst
ollyridesfirst Posts: 486
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Looking at buying a winter commuter and want the ease of having a fixed wheel/freewheel flip flop type bike, but want something a bit different. I think a maximum spend of about £500 is what i'm looking at and probably go for a steel frame...does anyone know of any decent UK companies that could do this? Possibly with the added bonus of getting a frame tailored to my exact size for the money? Would be nice to get the paint job exactly how i want it....

Or would it be worth buying a cheaper steel bike with a general size frame and striping/spraying it myself?

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    lfgss is very good for this kinda stuff

if you are thinking 500 for complete bike and steel frame then MTM is out of range - have a look at surly crosscheck , the pompino or fuji track (the old fashioned steel one is a track bike but can be roadised with a brake)

and out of all of them the pompino is probably the most suited for a winter trainer
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Pompino is the easiest answer for sure.

Had mine a few months now and it's been excellent. I know a lot of people who use them for big audax miles over winter (and summer too!).

I've got 28mm tyres on mine with proper mudguards - really great commuter bike.

And in budget.
  • i'll check it out....

Just out of interest, i don't know if you know? I've just googled Pompino and it's an Italian slang word for blowjob.....

Do i mind riding a blowjob every day in winter :oops:
  • marcusjb
    Yep - you need to be very careful googling about this bike if you are at work - it can certainly bring up some fruity images.

Great bike though - very good value and a great all-rounder.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Riding mine with CX tyres at the mo and throwing in a bit of off-road fun as part of my commute -

CX2.png
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try Bob Jackson if you want a custom singlespeed / fixed frame but it'll cost you £500 for a frame alone.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Be aware that you will need a 120mm track-spaced frame if you want to have a flip-flop hub.

Possibilities.

Genesis day 1 £550 - just been looking at one in my LBS
    Pompino from £599 depending on spec
    Pace 42 x 16 - not sure of price

My ideal would be the Genesis / Pompino. I run a Langster which is fine but clearances are v tight for 'guards and caliper brakes are poor. I also run 2 Tricrosses which are fab. My real ideal would be the Singlecross, which is a mix between the Langster and Tricross, but unfortunately only made in 2008 so only available 2nd hand.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Nice that Shaggy.....

Been to LBS and they have zero fixed/single speed bikes in there (bloody useless)! The only reason i'd want a flip flop is just in-case i can't get used to fixed.....is it really as hard as it looks?

The Pace looks very nice and clean so i'll certainly look into that....

Anyone ever had any experience with "Big Shot Bikes"? USA based and their website allows a certain amount of customisation with regards to colours so might look into them too
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Cant beat this one in my opinion...

b11-revolution-track-flat-side-dl.jpg&analyticsHelperTag_origin=hrlink

Good price as well...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c018341
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Pearson Touche, comes with full mudguards. Got mone secondhand. Keep a look out for them. Lovely looking bikes. Quite traditional without looking like a bike courier. :lol:
  • Cant beat this one in my opinion...

b11-revolution-track-flat-side-dl.jpg&analyticsHelperTag_origin=hrlink

Good price as well...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c018341

Now that i do like.....and it's a flip/flop....bloody love the colour of it!

Forget my Big Shot Bikes comment.....just seen that they charge $199 just for shipping to the UK!
  • marcusjb
    .....is it really as hard as it looks?

I'd only ridden fixed on the track a couple of times before I bought my Pomp in January (always the last to get into a trend!).

It's so easy to ride fixed, you'll begin to find riding a geared bike a faff as you get used to it.

The only hard bit is remembering you're on a fixed - but if you do forget and stop pedalling, the bike will soon remind you that you're fixed - depending on your speed depends on how violent that reminder will be! One thing's for sure - once you've been reminded a couple of times, you'll not forget in a hurry!

Everything has a different approach on fixed - you need to look ahead more and adjust your speed to deal with what's coming up. You don't want to be starting and stopping all the time - so often in town you'll ride more slowly, to ride more quickly (if that makes sense) - a medium pace with no stop/start is better than fast-stop-start-fast-stop-start-fast etc.

Hills take work - but not as much as you'd think. fixed bikes will work with you to get you over the hills - there's not a deadspot when you're pedalling - the cranks will just keep turning.

Gearing choice is tricky as a lot depends on the terrain and your riding style - I ride a 76 inch gear in London (quite high) but it's pretty flat. I have a 67 inch on the other side - don't use it much.

I never quite got single speed - sorry people who do ride SS - it's not got all the plus points of riding fixed but has all the downsides. The only advantage over fixed is downhills - can be a bit scary on fixed if you can't spin at 200rpm!

I ride everywhere fixed during the week now - love it. After Paris-Brest-Paris in August, I want to try and use the fixed at the weekends as well and do some 200km events fixed - just don't want to risk the knees before PBP.

Best reason for a flip/flop is to run 2 different fixed cogs on it!
  • marcusjb wrote:
    .....is it really as hard as it looks?

Gearing choice is tricky as a lot depends on the terrain and your riding style - I ride a 76 inch gear in London (quite high) but it's pretty flat. I have a 67 inch on the other side - don't use it much.

What size rings are you running then? Most fixed/SS seem to come with 42-46 front and between 16-19 at the rear??? It's going to be used by me for a 5 mile commute and it's pan flat so no hills will be involved....Thinking 42/16, but don't know if 42 is going to be too small once i get up to speed?
  • marcusjb
    48-17 with 19 on the other side - gives about 76 and 67 inches - found 67 too spinny for me in London - but I am a bit more of a masher than a spinner.
  • marcusjb
    42-16 - roughly 70 inches - does all depend on your style. I have friends who push 84 (and higher) and some who twiddle along on a 67 (and keep up with everyone).

Depends on your preffered style.

I was hopinh fixed might teach me to spin better (and I guess it has) - but it would take a lot of work to be comfortable with a 67 inch gear and spinning like crazy.
  • I do like to spin, but also i don't mind grinding the gears out either. If i'm out with mates and sat in draft then i'm happy to sit on a 34/15 gear until i get to the front....then pop it up to 50