Car tyre puncture repair.

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited July 2011 in The hub
Took the car in to today to check the balancing, had a bit of a vibration at 70 for the past week so wanted to get it checked out.

Turns out I had I nice big nail/screw in a tyre.

Fortunately it was in the main bit of the tread so the chap kindly fixed it for me and also checked the balancing on the remaining wheels (i'd had my wheels rotated around the car when I got a new set of tyres and I was convinced the place I took it to didn't balance the wheels).

Anyways, how permanent is a car tyre puncture repair?
Is the tyre weaker now and will it hold safely?

Just a bit wary, I don't want the thing to blow out on me!

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Safe so long as you don't have low profiles or a fast car.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    my 45 profiles have been fine for the last few years.

a car puncture fix is generally good for life.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • good stuff, nice to know :)

This is on a 50 profile on my pug 206.

Been watching vids on how its done on youtube... surprised how simple the fix is!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    nicklouse wrote:
    my 45 profiles have been fine for the last few years.

a car puncture fix is generally good for life.

Agreed, I've driven many a mile on 18 inch wheels with a repair plug
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    good stuff, nice to know :)

This is on a 50 profile on my pug 206.

Been watching vids on how its done on youtube... surprised how simple the fix is!

drill a hole grind the inside. add glue stick in a plug and re fit tyre, trim plug off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,771
    Yep, done properly you shouldn't have a problem. Had a repair done on one of mine (45 section tyres, 18" diameter) by the local trye place which lasted until the trye was Fubarred.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    "done properly" is the kicker mind. But mushroom plugs fitted appropriately are as reliable as an unpunctured tyre. The strings I'm not so sure about, had one fail once but no way to know if it was just never fitted right.

I've done trackdays and drag racing on patched tyres on the motorbike :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist