My latest video - Llandegla

dan shard
dan shard Posts: 722
edited August 2011 in The hub
Apols for not posting this in the normal vids area, but I have really worked hard on this one, so please have a look.. This was taken with a cheapo point and shoot camera and standard video editing software and I was on my own so was made properly tough!!. Very proud of the results though!!

Thanks for watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upuHFpQjdPU

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    there are some good bits, but there's a lot of watching nothing...i'e waiting for you to come into shot and the slow motion doesn't really add anything.

if it was me i'd have chopped out those bits where nothing was happening.

just my opinion, but quite good otherwise :D
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I agree with Kev, it was like it was deliberately edited to give the impression of slow speed which is quite the opposite of what you should have been aiming for. Footage was fine IMO just re-edit it.
  • matt5311
    matt5311 Posts: 29
    sorry not trying to insult your hard work as i probably couldn't do it. but i think you should run it at normal speed with some faster paced music to give a sense of rush and thrill. sometimes if its HD a bit of slomo wont go amiss if its showing the skill or technical side of doing a jump ect.
  • dan shard
    Thanks for the feedback. Agree with the waiting around with nothing happening comment, I'll change that next time. I quite like the slow mo tbh, and I think the song is the best bit. Really tyred of dance and rock but each to their own on that one. I'll make sure I crop out the empty screens though next time :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Got to 35 seconds, and I'm bored. Too much waiting around, and music hardly inspires feelings of "mountain bike action".
    The song would suit footage of some epic mountain-range-crossing exploit, provided you had decent camerawork, but not that.
  • dan shard
    I wont bother in future then
  • Anonymous
    If you don't want feedback, why did you post it?
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I like it but have to agree with the waiting around part just need to shorten the clips a bit to cut out the waiting
    I also like the music track would say it suits the nice sunny parts and the slow mo
    I would say it would not go with a full on DH video but seems to suit this video as it's got a nice relaxed feel
    everyone is different and what I like you may not
    have a go at cutting the gaps out and post again
    good effort
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • dan shard
    If you don't want feedback, why did you post it?

I did want feedback, that's why i said "thanks for the feedback" but there's a difference between constructive criticism and just ripping something to pieces. What advice can I get from your comment other than not to bother trying? Look at the first and last comment for an example of constructive criticism in case you're not sure what it looks like...
  • dan shard
    Right I've trimmed 30 secs of fat off. Just waiting for YouTube to upload and I'll repost. Unfortunately there's a few drops of rain in the air so my broadband has reverted back to the dark ages
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Over a thousand films (1180) of Llandegla on Utube and 99% of them are all the same . The problem with filming any sport activity like mountain biking you get no vision or feel of speed and everywhere comes out looking like you are cycling along the canal.

Doing something different might not be everyone’s cup of tea but it does work well and gives a good feel to what the sport is all about.

One of the best films of Llandegla on Utube.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    OK I gave it a minute, a few small rocks and a bermy bit.
    TBH, and this is not aimed at you, but at Youtubers in general, why bother?
    I can see the point of recording rides for personal memories, like photos, or to share with friends who might give a sh1t, but there is so much stuff out there, and life is short.
    Unless it's amazing, epic, weird or funny.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    IM ever so H and personal O of course.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Better with a bit of trimming but still a bit too much slo mo for my taste. At least your trying something a bit different not the usual boring old thrash that gets used all the time for bike vids. I like your Little Wing one would never have thought that would work but pretty good I think.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    dan shard wrote:
    What advice can I get from your comment other than not to bother trying?
    Oh quit being a dick. For everyone who missed it, this is what I wrote - which is pretty fair comment...
    Got to 35 seconds, and I'm bored. Too much waiting around, and music hardly inspires feelings of "mountain bike action".
    The song would suit footage of some epic mountain-range-crossing exploit, provided you had decent camerawork, but not that.

To be honest though this doesn't help Yee, all negative with no advice on how to improve liek the first posts.

You got a real itch recently mate. Also be poilite this is the Hub not the crud catcher.
  • Anonymous
    Too much waiting around, and the music doesn't fit.
    What the hell do you want me to do? Make his video FOR him?
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    This video is different but it depends on what you are trying to get people to take from watching it.

The music to me is a romantic song, a love story. So if you are aiming for people to see your video as an expression of how you feel about the sport and not so much the riding then it works.

If you want it to show the riding and be trail itself then a more upbeat song would help to give that feeling but then the slow motion wouldnt work. Some of the best videos are point of view mixed with static cameras as they give the perception of speed as well as the perspective of the trail.

Overall it isnt a bad attempt, dont take critism too badly, YeeHa is just blunt with his points but what he says is very true, you need to cut the scenes so the camera isnt filming grass and an empty trail for 30 seconds before you appear in the shot. That time means people get bored and lose focus quickly.

anyway thats just my 2p
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Too much waiting around, and the music doesn't fit.
    What the hell do you want me to do? Make his video FOR him?

manners....

And a sensible response just like Kaiser's, rather than attitude would be nice lol
  • SurferEv
    SurferEv Posts: 78
    I liked it.. 8)
  • camerauk
    here is one I made a while ago at the old red run at Haldon Devon

http://youtu.be/edmChL-PN2A
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Kaise
    is that Jay12 in that video? :D

i like the start with the camera on the floor and you clipping in,
  • camerauk
    kaiser83 wrote:
    is that Jay12 in that video? :D

Lol no my son

cheers tried a few different camera angles
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Anonymous
    camerauk wrote:
    here is one I made a while ago at the old red run at Haldon Devon

http://youtu.be/edmChL-PN2A
    Much better. I still don't think the music suits it though.
  • Kaise
    its hard to find the right music sometimes, when someone does it makes the video!!
  • Galfinnan
    Galfinnan Posts: 49
    Take the link to the deleted video out of the first post. Video was ok and I quite liked the music, was something a bit different from the usual rubbish. Might not be the easiest thing to do but Iget a stand for the camera, I reckon you would get much better shots that way. Out of interest what is that run graded at ?
    False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Darwin
  • Anonymous
    kaiser83 wrote:
    its hard to find the right music sometimes, when someone does it makes the video!!
    Precisely. The music should match the footage. Just sticking a song you like on it can lead to a bizarre effect.
    Try listening to lots of music, and see what fits - then re-edit the video to match it if need be.

Oh, and if the admins are reading...
    All these videos are amazing, they are the greatest things I've ever seen, in fact the art of videography has been so thoroughly trounced that Hollywood itself will now fall.
    Happy?
  • Anonymous
    camerauk, just been going through some music, try playing something like Jimi Hendrix - all along the watchtower, or Kid Rock - all summer long, and see how it changes the whole feel of the video.
    I'm not saying they are the right music either, but it highlights how a change of soundtrack can change the mood of the video.
  • camerauk
    camerauk, just been going through some music, try playing something like Jimi Hendrix - all along the watchtower, or Kid Rock - all summer long, and see how it changes the whole feel of the video.
    I'm not saying they are the right music either, but it highlights how a change of soundtrack can change the mood of the video.

Ok cheers will have a look into them

Video was just done to show a few family members one of the trails my son and me ride
    Was a quick morning shoot and afternoon edit
    Will try a few different music tracks out
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    This was about a year ago at Llandega (he was 11, much better on the freeride now, only his second time on it) - nice bit of ACDC - my first go at putting a video togeather with music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-qp8XLXuY

http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff