Ronde Van Vlaanderen 70km

thecryof
thecryof Posts: 31
I'm looking for advice regarding the Ronde Van Vlaanderen 70km ride (day before race).

I'm just getting back into serious riding (I'm 43) after sometime away since my 20's. Doing very well so far with rides 2-3 times a week of around 30-50km easily. I do need to begin working more on hills since there really aren't any here in Flanders where I live. Comfortable distance is what I'm focusing on right now.

Is this 70km 'ride' something more for the advanced rider? (there being 4 climbs including the Muur-Kapelmuur). It looks from the website something for everyone.
2011 Giant Defy 3

Comments

• polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    If you already live in Flanders then HAPPY DAYS. Just head over to Oudenaarde and practice on the routes from the Centre Ronde Van Vlaanderen. It will not take you long to master 70km and the Muur.

All of the three routes that start from the crvv are pretty easy. There are no 'big' hills. It's all about the speed that you ride that which determines the difficulty.

If you go into the crvv shop you can buy a map of the three main Ronde routes. The orange 72km route is the hardest and the green 114km is actually the easiest. The map shows the length and max and average gradient of each berg. So the Muur has an average of 9% and is 19% at it's max point. It's also only 1100m long.

Also in the shop are maps for all the other local routes but personally I just ride the de ronde routes!!! I would advise buying a map as some of the markings are easy to miss.

The one of the best things about the routes is that you can finish up at the crvv with a nice glass of Adrian Brouwer!!!!!

I'm back in Oudenaarde a week on sunday for the Retro Ronde. I envy you living in Flanders as I love the roads and cobbles.

AL
  • thecryof
    thecryof Posts: 31
    Great info, Thanks 8)

Indeed the roads here are great for riding, lots of numbered routes and bike paths too.
    2011 Giant Defy 3
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Glad you live there b/c frankly, 70 kms is hardly worth the trip to Belgium.

You can actually ride the course without the need of a map, a Garmin, or even a sportive ride to follow as the course (well, *a* course) is helpfully spray painted on the road - look for RVV with an arrow coming out the top of it in white or yellow paint (I can't quite remember which).

The route changes year to year but following this route will at least get you over most of the hills.

The thing is dishpan flat frankly so if you committed to riding 100km every 2 weeks this summer and vowed not to gain too much weight over the winter, you could easily do the 140 event is 6-7 hours.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • acaffe
    acaffe Posts: 6
    Polocini wrote:
    If you already live in Flanders then HAPPY DAYS. Just head over to Oudenaarde and practice on the routes from the Centre Ronde Van Vlaanderen. It will not take you long to master 70km and the Muur.

All of the three routes that start from the crvv are pretty easy. There are no 'big' hills. It's all about the speed that you ride that which determines the difficulty.

If you go into the crvv shop you can buy a map of the three main Ronde routes. The orange 72km route is the hardest and the green 114km is actually the easiest. The map shows the length and max and average gradient of each berg. So the Muur has an average of 9% and is 19% at it's max point. It's also only 1100m long.

Also in the shop are maps for all the other local routes but personally I just ride the de ronde routes!!! I would advise buying a map as some of the markings are easy to miss.

The one of the best things about the routes is that you can finish up at the crvv with a nice glass of Adrian Brouwer!!!!!

I'm back in Oudenaarde a week on sunday for the Retro Ronde. I envy you living in Flanders as I love the roads and cobbles.

AL

Hi!

My brother and I are considering doing the green route in October......you say that's the easiest one?? Why is that?
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    Acaffe, I dont' know the ins and outs of your trip but the green route is the easiest in terms of climbing etc although all the routes are easy. If I had to do just one I would do the orange but it doesn't take in the Muur.

Alternatively if you go into the crvv they have a map called Vlaamse Ardennen. It lists every berg and cobble in the area. Then you can make your own route and take in all of the famous bit plus some of the hidden gems such as Kalkhoveberg.

AL