my epic

sbd16v
sbd16v Posts: 93
edited December 2012 in Your mountain bikes
hi everyone

few months ago i decided to get out of my trackday car hobby, and retake up mtbing so after selling the car off i test rode a few bikes as its been around 10 years since i done any serious riding and decided that i wanted a specialized epic, its a little ''above'' me atm but i just felt so at home on it there was no choice to be made.

my local dealer had a 2010 epic comp carbon at a good price so the pennys were exchanged and i come home with.

IMAG0065.jpg

made a few changes

P6100800.jpg

gone over to spd's now after riding flats all my life, still getting used to them lol

found the standard bars were just not wide enough for what i was used to, so after trying a few different bars in shops found i loved the shape of easton bars

so went with some easton havens.

other than use it want to change the wheels at some point soon and im really thinking about a dropper seatpost

Comments

• Time.to.ride
    Time.to.ride Posts: 463
    why is your seat pointing to heaven?
    Very sweet colour scheme mate spesh seem to have this sussed on their bikes the colour/blending on the frame and accessories is second to none
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Very sweet colour scheme mate spesh seem to have this sussed on their bikes the colour/blending on the frame and accessories is second to none

+1
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • road_donut
    road_donut Posts: 284
    Cracking bike mate :D .... although I am a little biased :wink:
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    they're good looking bikes. any particular reason for wanting to change the wheels already?
  • sbd16v
    why is your seat pointing to heaven?

somehow it moved, im guessing it was not tight enough after i adjusted it but its back to normal now lol

they're good looking bikes. any particular reason for wanting to change the wheels already?

couple of reasons i would like to save some weight as i belive there quite heavy and i would also like to go tubeless. I have read that mine will convert but it sound like some stans rims would be better, i fancy some stans creast or arch ( little worried at 15 stone im a little heavy for the creasts) and red pro 2 evo hubs.

oh and i never turn an excuse for some bling lol
  • sbd16v
    moved some bits over from my old bike

sram 990 cassette

IMAG0148.jpg

and my redwin XO shifters, i also put some white peaty grips on at the same time

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Save weight on the wheels then add it onto the seatpost...

If you're a smooth rider you'll be fine on Crests, if you're more of the riding 'into' things not 'over' then Flows are probably more sensible!
  • sbd16v
    changed a few bits today, purly cosmetic reasons so i expect a few of you should look away now lol

never been a fan of the bronze levers that come on the epic as standard

IMAG0191.jpg

so when i see a complete set of brakes come up cheap with carbon levers so i took the chance to change the levers for some carbon ones, i will rebuild the brakes with some new o rings and get them on ebay which should return enough money that ill have got the levers for free.

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

i have also recently done a 185mm disc conversion as i was finding the 160 was not powerfull enough on decents, been out a few times now with the 185 and it is alot better.

IMAG0195.jpg
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    One of the nicest Epics I've seen! Good job ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cloudynights
    cloudynights Posts: 351
    very nice bike, off topic where did you get the bike stand from
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • sbd16v
    very nice bike, off topic where did you get the bike stand from

argos about 4 years ago, you can get them everywhere quite cheap now
  • Tonyp_iom
    Tonyp_iom Posts: 35
    Nice colours I must say.

I am an ex trials rider, and built my latest wheels with XTR hubs and Crest rims... I find the Crests perfect! I am 14.5st but also built two sets of wheels for a friend who is pure muscle at 16.7st with crests, and he hasn't done any damage on his and he is also on an epic for the sworks 2011.

Find the crests a stupidly strong rim for the weight!
  • sbd16v
    Tonyp_iom wrote:
    Nice colours I must say.

I am an ex trials rider, and built my latest wheels with XTR hubs and Crest rims... I find the Crests perfect! I am 14.5st but also built two sets of wheels for a friend who is pure muscle at 16.7st with crests, and he hasn't done any damage on his and he is also on an epic for the sworks 2011.

Find the crests a stupidly strong rim for the weight!

I think the crests is what ill go for, now have the dilema of white or black rims hummmm choices choices, but first a trip to my LBS with my back wheel as the pawls inside the hub have started skipping under heavy power.

think i have decided on a reverb post im finding more and more times when out riding i think i wish i could quickly change the sadle height, dropped it down today and it made a massive difference on the downhill sections but then god did my legs burn as soon as we hit a uphill, and dartmoor is not known for its flat sections lol.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    MTFU Rob LOL
  • sbd16v
    reverb ordered instock in the uk next day delivery :)
  • sbd16v
    had a few deliveries today 8) 8) 8)

first off she needed a clean

IMAG0212.jpg

i got a clean bike, he got to use the hose 2 happy little men :lol::lol:

first up avid bleed kit from reddog racing cheapest place online with proper locks on bleed syringes £15 with fluid aint used it but it looks like it will be well upto the job

IMAG0215.jpg

and my reverb turned up :D

IMAG0217.jpg

installed it with some tape to get it in the right place happy with how its fitted now

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

waiting for some sick on hose guides to come from CRC hopfully they will be here tommorow and i can get it properly installed :D:D
  • quattrojames
    quattrojames Posts: 157
    Very nice :D
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • sbd16v
    humm just let the air out the rear shock and done a rear wheel compression test and with the seat post down and the shock fully compressed the hose touches the wheel :cry::cry:

not to hard to get around thou removed the last piece of tap and it now does a larger loop but misses the wheel, wanted to use the rear piece of tape to aviod frame rub but ill just have to put a patch over that area.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Rob and Rick!

How times change! C20LET innit!

I was going to ask how long the white grips stay white for, but your next pictures answered!
  • njee20
    not to hard to get around thou removed the last piece of tap and it now does a larger loop but misses the wheel, wanted to use the rear piece of tape to aviod frame rub but ill just have to put a patch over that area.

You just need to pull a bit more through further up the run surely? :?
  • Got a slight queiry, your bike has the frame of not a comp carbon but an Epic Expert carbon slightly different bike lol

See here http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... temId=9247

Did you know?
  • njee20
    It's not just the frame, it is an Epic Expert Carbon, I assumed a typo on the OPs part? If not maybe you got a better deal than you thought!
  • yeah sorry njee20 i ment the whole bike, if it aint a typo it is a bargain and a half lol still a sweet ride though
  • sbd16v
    a little late reply LOL

yes it is an expert i think i must have just got that wrong on the day, either way im pretty sure its cracked now :(

IMAG0635.jpg
  • sbd16v
    well some advice on here is it aint cracked so i should have it back next week woohoo :D:D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :shock: Very very nice epic you have there loving the carbon
  • njee20
    Afraid to say it looks cracked to me :?
  • sbd16v
    made a few changes since last year main one being wheels ive changed to hope pro 2 evo hubs and stans arch rims and the white grips are gone :roll: :roll: LOL

rps20120902_163556.jpg

i have also had a few different pairs of tyres now had cross marks on for a while which i loved how fast they roll but i went tubless, spent 4 rides having problems and on the 5th split the side wall :evil: :evil:, so i went back to high rollers and tubless and have had no problems at all :D:D

i also made a bead seater for pumping up my tubless tyres works brilliant :)

IMAG0511.jpg

along with the boys bikes :D:D
    IMAG0560.jpg
  • sbd16v
    njee20 wrote:

i agree, the biggest problem i have with the situation is in 18 months of cleaning i have never noticed it that makes me think its new.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    sbd16v wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

i agree, the biggest problem i have with the situation is in 18 months of cleaning i have never noticed it that makes me think its new.
      then isn't it time to go see this guy
      sbd16v wrote:
      my local dealer had a 2010 epic comp carbon at a good price so the pennys were exchanged.
        time to test that famous warranty
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011