Planet X Exocet Vs Cervelo P2c

Mrstewarttanner
Mrstewarttanner Posts: 4
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Looking to trade up from previous tri bike and looking at these two options (amongst others). No doubt this has been discussed on this and other forums many times, but just after some advice and preferably seeking first hand experience.

Clearly the P2C when bought as a bike (rather than Frame only) is getting on for twice the price of the PX, but apart from the Cervelo branding am I missing something else, and is that "else" worth close to the £1500 difference in price?

PX are currently offering a Dur Ace spec on the Exocet with PX branded carbon wheels for £2500.....so a very well speced bike which comes in at only 17lbs, however I see that the frame is only guaranteed for 2 years.

A few places are offering a P2C with SRAM Force and SRAM S60/80 wheel set for about £3,900.

Now I know the latter is tried and tested and has a very good reputation, and I guess PX is still relatively new to the market, but does anyone know why I shouldn't go with the PX and save a small fortune, because whilst my heart has always longed after a Cervelo, my head and wallet are saying go with the PX.

Many thanks

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Go and visit PX and get fitted for their bike. Much better value and it will be as fast as the Cervelo.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Faced with this choice-(which I was) I was able to get a new warrantied 2010 P2 frameset for not much more than an Exocet frameset.

I think I made the right choice.

Tyre clearance is supposed to be an issue on the Exocet and geometry and fit didn't suit me as well as the P2. Maybe this should be your yardstick.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Now I know the latter is tried and tested and has a very good reputation, and I guess PX is still relatively new to the market, but does anyone know why I shouldn't go with the PX and save a small fortune, because whilst my heart has always longed after a Cervelo, my head and wallet are saying go with the PX.

If you didn't live in the UK, you could probably buy it direct even cheaper. Go search GOTO bike and search TT233. Or send me a PM with your email and I will send you their price list, as I looked into it. Some of the forums are saying it is the same bike and coincidentally their price list says there is an exclusive in the UK.

For info, a 'sample' will cost you $700 for a frame, fork and seatpost; PX will sell you a frame for £800 and then the fork for another £150, but that is painted. They will also do you a disc wheel for $600 and a set of carbon TT bars for $250, so potentially you could spec the bike for a lot less.

Just my $0.02
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I thought the geometry on the P2C was similar to the Exocet (seem similar anyway from looking at the geometry angles on the respective web sites), but agree with you that both have to be tried.
  • Arghyrou
    Arghyrou Posts: 155
    Id go with the Cervelo, PXs look great, but there build quality is nowhere near as good and there is nothing like the feeling of being on a Cervelo TT bike, I reckon it is worth the extra for the quality and reputation.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Arghyrou wrote:
    Id go with the Cervelo, PXs look great, but there build quality is nowhere near as good and there is nothing like the feeling of being on a Cervelo TT bike, I reckon it is worth the extra for the quality and reputation.

Well PXs must be terrible! Because when I looked at buying a Cervelo a few years ago the finish wasn't what I expected of an expensive frame. In fact I decided not to buy one on the strength of the poor finish.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • I'll go and check them out as I understand Bike Magic in London now stock PX bikes. Does anyone know if the P2C comes with a life time warranty?

Ta