non-clipless decent bike shoes?

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Anyone know of any decent trainers for bike riding?
I expect most of you have clip-less? I don't really want to go down this route as I often like to park up so that would mean taking another pair of shoes with me.

Many thanks,

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    A decent pair of tennis shoes? Unbelievable foot & ankle support
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    Five Ten MTB shoes are very grippy, and very supportive.
    Ridley Orion
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    ^^^^ this

mtb shoes with spd pedals

you can also get spd pedals that are dual-use, then you can still ride in trainers when you want, some of the ones here are like this...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano/mtb/clip-in-pedals/

m324 for instance
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    My wife has a pair of the Tahoe shoes which she uses with toe-clips (as in, without cleats). They are well made and if you do want to go clipless then just remove the small rubber covering and stick some cleats on (combine with A520 or M520 and bob's your uncle)
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I'd fourth the MTB with SPD pedal

But if you're really deadset against them, you want shoes without cushioning. Most trainers are built with lots of it since they're designed for running or impact. You want as firm a sole as you can get - Vans or Converse can work but depends on what pedals you currently have since they can be slippy if it's wet.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    DMR V8's with Specialized mtb/trail shoes, very stiff sole and sticks to the pedals well.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Bike-Rich
    Bike-Rich Posts: 275
    Cheers guys, great helpful place this is.

When I first herd about 'clip-less' I thought it might have been bit of a gimmick but it seems by the recommendations here and, what seems, wide spread use of them they are actual worth having?

I take if the main purpose of clip-less is that the energy used when you bring your leg up is not being wasted?

So just to confirm, there is only one type of clipless shoe? i.e all clipless pedels will fit all clipless shoes? What is a cleat?

Kind regards,
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Bike-Rich wrote:
    So just to confirm, there is only one type of clipless shoe? i.e all clipless pedels will fit all clipless shoes? What is a cleat?

No, there are quite a few different systems. The Shimano SPD system mentioned above is one of the most common, though perhaps used more on MTBs and hybrids than on road bikes. Various styles of SPD-compatible shoe are available, from full-on road shoes that are hard to walk in to more flexible trainer-style gear. The cleat is a metal plate that screws on to the sole of the shoe and engages with (clips in to) the pedal. SPD cleats are usually recessed into the sole, which means you can walk in the shoe without scraping the ground with the cleat. You can buy pedals like the Shimano A530 with one flat side and one clipless side, suitable both for casual use with trainers and longer rides with an SPD shoe. You can also buy one of the trainer-style SPD shoes, not install the cleat, and use it with flat pedals - this will give you a stiffer sole than a running shoe would.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Bike-Rich wrote:
    I take if the main purpose of clip-less is that the energy used when you bring your leg up is not being wasted?

Comfy chair? check
    Beer? check
    Popcorn? check

touch paper lit, have at it folks... :lol:

Anyway, if you arent wanting to be clipped in, i really cant recommend 5:10 shoes enough for stiff soles and great support, doesnt realy matter which pedals you use as they are that grippy they make up for anything the pedal might be lacking.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er