Sidi shoes are a pain in the....

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
.........foot.

Just bought a new pair of Sidis which fit very nicely and look great. However, on the inside of each foot I have a bony protrusion (ooh er, missus) which lies directly under where the upper foot strap is attached. Unfortunately, I wasn't to know how painful this was to be until after about an hour of riding in the rain so I can't exchange the shoes.

I have narrow feet and the wide Sidis are much too wide. The shoes hurt regardless of how tightly I do them up. I've tried putting a couple of layers of padding into the shoe as well as sticking on those round, padded corn plasters directly onto the bone but this doesn't help either.

Have I just wasted my money on the shoes or does anyone know any tricks which would help?

Comments

• AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    If it was me, I'd go see a podiatrist with good knowledge of sport, eg Vicki Wade http://www.sport-med.co.uk/ourteam.html
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Did you try before you buyed (sic). It's not the shoes fault if they re the wrong shape for our feet. Maybe try some insoles (e.g. specialized) but if they re new they will mould to your feet after a few rides (i.e. more than one)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • neilo23
    "If it was me, I'd go see a podiatrist with good knowledge of sport,"

Andy, I'm afraid that your suggested podiarists are a couple of thousand miles too far away for me but it does sound like a good idea. Do you mean for getting insoles? I have had my feet looked at by a doctor in the past and he did tell me that they were a bit odd. I'll take the shoes and my feet along to a shop round my way which makes orthopaedic shoes. Maybe they're used to oddities like me.

"Did you try before you buyed (sic)"

Ddraver, Yes and no. I tried them on at home and they felt fine, maybe even a bit too roomy. And for the first few miles they were fine. And then they started to hurt. I had to stop and put folded pieces of tissue into my socks to try and alleviate the pain. They got wet and have cleat marks on them so there's no taking them back. They were expensive so I'd love to be able to be able to use them for more than 10 minutes :-)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm sure somebody will take them off you if they are nearly in as-new condition.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ddraver
    I'm sure somebody will take them off you if they are nearly in as-new condition.

Which size and which ones are they - I'm half looking for some...

It does take a few rides to break them in though so it might be worth perservering for a few rides before flogging them. I have funny shaped feet as well (ski boots are a nightmare) so i feel your pain.
    - @ddraver
  • neilo23
    ddraver wrote:

It does take a few rides to break them in though so it might be worth perservering for a few rides before flogging them. I have funny shaped feet as well (ski boots are a nightmare) so i feel your pain.

Do you have clown's feet, too? I'm usually a 45 or 46 but these are a 48! (sorry to be all European). They're white Genius Pro 5s and they're so pretty I want to at least try and break them in before I flog em. (Not sure if you should use the words "pretty", "break in" and "flog" in the same sentence).

I have more pairs of shoes than the Sex and the City girls and have never had this problem before. The things we boys have to go through to look good....
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    neilo23 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Do you have clown's feet, too? I'm usually a 45 or 46 but these are a 48! (sorry to be all European). They're white Genius Pro 5s and they're so pretty I want to at least try and break them in before I flog em. (Not sure if you should use the words "pretty", "break in" and "flog" in the same sentence).

I have more pairs of shoes than the Sex and the City girls and have never had this problem before. The things we boys have to go through to look good....

I'd be more worried about the fact you watch Sex and the City. :wink:
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • ddraver
    No, no clown feet, Despite being a 17st Prop forward i have a ballerina's instep and my toes point up in the air when they re relaxed

I'm a 45 so no sale here I'm afraid :(
    - @ddraver
  • neilo23
    Martincan wrote:
    neilo23 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I'd be more worried about the fact you watch Sex and the City. :wink:

I never used to have any choice. I might get myself a gay best friend to go shoe shopping with me so I don't make the same mistake again. It works for the S&C girls :-)
  • neilo23
    cadseen wrote:
    Grind down the bony protrusion :lol:

Another dodgy sounding combination of words :wink: