Sutton in Ashfield / Mansfield / Kirkby

ljs1977
ljs1977 Posts: 247
edited July 2017 in MTB rides
Looking for some riding buddy's for evenings and weekend.

In and around the above. Don't mind a little drive or a trip to the pines.

I'm 34 and relatively unfit - 20 miles on the likes of the Teversal trail in 2 hours and the Red @ the pines in an hour. i have a young family and a demanding job so need some more options / locals to help guide the way.

i prefer single track rather than the likes of Teversal but need to get out more so anything is better than nothing . I am hopefully going to Join the Sherwood Pines club but can never get back from work in time to meet.

Lee

Comments

• Trapper
    Trapper Posts: 35
    Hello Lee. I've just got in from a blast around harlow wood - you're welcome to join me mondays or tuesdays. Every Wednesday night there is a gang of us who ride out from mansfield at 7pm (nr derby rd college) then have a few beers afterwards.
  • Im in Selston some good rides round here. but i would like to try some different places.
  • GAZ2366
    GAZ2366 Posts: 5
    Hi I live in area and usually ride on my own at the pines, I try to get out on a Sunday and also on a Weds evening, I could do with finding someone or a group to ride with.

I don't mind trying other area's, I have riden Dalby and Cannock Chase but the lad I used to ride with has gone back to being a Roadie and its a long way and a bit boring on your own.

Cheers Garry
  • JB100
    JB100 Posts: 3
    Hi Mate

Im in pretty much same situation as you. Im 34 and not been in to MTB too long and ride alone (previously into mx/enduro but got sick of the cost and lack of places to ride). I tend to go pines every couple of weeks and either local blidworth/calverton or Peaks in between if you fancy meeting up.

Im away next week though.

Cheers
    John
  • GAZ2366
    Hi John

Sounds like we come from a similar back ground I also spent years racing MX/Enduro I used to ride MTB as way of keeping fit, I got back in to MTB about a year ago but I do need someone to ride with I will PM my mobile no you if fancy meeting up for a ride.

Cheers

Garry
  • Trapper
    One of the wednesday night gang is a trials rider, so you would be in good company for exchanging stories and competing in how big a rock you can clear with a MTB :roll:
  • GAZ2366
    Hi Trapper

Thanks for the reply I take it you have a regular group ride on a wednesday evening, do you ride local, Any chance I could tag along on one of your rides.

Cheers

Garry
  • Trapper
    Anybody welcome to join in. It's not a club or anything serious - just a bunch of lads in their 30s and 40's who enjoy a blast round the woods, take the pi$$ out each other then go for some beer (OJ for the ones that drive of course!) We sometimes have sundays out in derbyshire or weekends away in wales - WAGs permitting!!
    07949 646781. Paul
  • ljs1977
    Paul, Thanks for the reply. i will try an get along to one of the Wednesday rides, but working in Leeds at the moment and rarely get back at a reasonable time

Cheers

Lee
  • ats
    ats Posts: 18
    Hi Lee Im a regular on five pits trail .sounds to me like u stuck to the normal Teversal route and getting bored.Try some of the side routes and venture off the trail more.We got miles and miles to choose from.Your welcome to come with me would just have to compromise on time because of work family etc .All the best.
  • ljs1977
    ATS be nice to meet up,where are you based
  • ats
    ats Posts: 18
    Based in Skegby.I will forward u my number
  • road_donut
    road_donut Posts: 284
    Hi Fellas,

I'm 2 mins from Teversal, I ride 5 pits and the usual trails around that area

Pretty much like you guys Work/Family commitments do stump me somtimes for arranging rides.

Give me a shout if you get somthing sorted and I'll be up for it :D
  • ljs1977
    Sweet, this might actually happen.

I am off to the Pines at the weekend if anyone wants to meet on Neutral turf.

I am usually a morning person, but could do the afternoon, both days.

Or a ride out to the pines and back on the Timberland?

Lee
  • Hi Lee,

I'm running an organized ride at Sherwood Pines every Sunday at 1800hrs. Its on behalf of the Sherwood Pines Cycling Club, slowest rider sets the pace it's all single track and covers 10 to 15 miles. All are welcome and it's free except for the forestry commission car park fees if you arrive by car. Specifically aimed for riders who want to bridge the gap between easy and moderate, the wearing of cycle helmets are recommended. Meet outside the cycle shop.

Thanks Paul
    Ride like you stole it! fall like you planned it! Beg cause you need it!
  • ljs1977
    If that is Paul of the tall variety from the SPCC web site,

I am going to try and make this one as its the best time out of all of your rides, but I am sure something will crop up. Hopefully see you there
  • Hi, for all that are interested don’t forget the free organized ride at Sherwood Pines every Sunday. The route includes a couple of short steep and long climbs, fast flowing downhill descents, riding through dense forest with rutted sections in places over a distance covering 15miles maximum.
    Anticipating minor mechanical failures the ride should end close to 1930hrs.

I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing you Sunday. Please remember to bring your helmet.
    Best regards,
    Paul.
  • ljs1977
    Paul, what did I say.

Spent the whole day @ the pines and just as we were leaving so i could come back to ride. Little'n gravel rashed her right side and now only daddy will do.

next time
  • Hi Lee,
    Sorry to hear you couldn’t make it, I hope she is fine. We had a good ride tonight a few new faces turned up, some surprised at the type of terrain covered but everyone enjoyed it. The weather was kind too! The route chosen for tonight’s ride has only been run for two weeks so it will be on for a few more before I change it again, so I look forward to seeing you soon. The same time and place every week. Regards Paul.
  • Hi,

Do you guys still go round on a Wednesday? I think I have seen you about round Berry Hill on the way to the gym.
  • minnnt
    minnnt Posts: 102
    Hi, I'm based in Kirkby and have recently got back into MTB riding. I can do most evenings and weekend afternoons.

Cheers.
  • Trapper
    Yes. 7pm every Wednesday. 2hrs riding then 2 hrs in the pub. Not a clib, just blokes having fun
  • cool sounds good, what sort of level are you guys at?

There is a group of us that go out on Sundays from 6pm at pines, ~ 20 miles of all the little snaky trails and areas you didnt realise you were there.
  • Trapper
    Level? All experienced riders, some very good riders. Sneaky trails are us Wednesday nighrs and Sunday mornings. Both are followed by a few beers in the pub. We are not a club like SPCC or have the self-righteous attitude of the Outlaws, just a gang of blokes having fun. The return run back to the pub can get competetive though!