Aching sit bones

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all
Age old problem of suffering from aching sit bones. Currently on a charge spoon (my 5th saddle) but after 40mins of riding the old sit bones start aching,making the ride un pleasurable. Any advice

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    No magic answer i'm afraid, here are a few suggestions :D
    Are you sitting too upright ?
    Is the saddle set at the right height for you ?
    What about it's fore / aft position ?
    Is the saddle fairly horizontal or tilted slightly forward to share your weight between your bum and arms ?
    How about posting a picture of the bike and one of your riding position.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Have you considered getting measured for a Specialized saddle? One of their stores or suppliers can measure you on their arse pad indicator - it's amazing what difference the width of the saddle makes to the comfort. I was surprised when I was recommended a 130mm saddle, the narrow version of their range, but it was made a huge difference to my comfort.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Another not mentioned is:
    Do you wear padded shorts? If not, get some with a decent pad - lots of threads on recommended shorts eg DHB, Castelli, Shutt VR, Assos.
    What tyre pressures are your running? If 120psi put them down to 100psi won't slow you down and stops a lot of road buzz coming through your saddle.

and +1 to previous 2 replies
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • dieselgeezer
    dieselgeezer Posts: 231
    I've found that with the vast majority of saddles, if you place a book on the saddle & with a spirit level set the nose down by 10mm then most saddles become a lot more comfy & you don't slide forward. You seem to naturally sit on the sit bones.
    -- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi
  • rob39
    Adjusted my seat to a more nose down profile, also altered my handle bar plane so to achieve a more head down profile. Result was pretty good. 90% more comfy. Still some discomfort but noticed more discomfort (a little) from the soft tissue behind the testicles.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you're getting pain / inflammation in the perineum then you're certainly not putting weight on your sit bones. You may be over-reaching, riding in too-deep a tuck or even have the saddle too high. I don't think it's the saddle, but from what you describe could be more about your riding position or riding a bike that's too big.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rob39
    Bike size appears ok (without going to tech, generally 32inch leg on a 54cm bike) but certainly my position needs adjusting. Not so much pain/inflammation, more discomfort in the prerineum from a 30mile ride. Going to shift the seat slightly forward and give this a try.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    i have this aching sitbone thing.

if you read about it though - it makes grim reading. my sitbones currently ache sitting on on any hard chair - I have have read this means the tissue around them is inflamed - and until it settles anything will be uncomfortable. I am waiting until I can sit comfortably before investing in a bike fit and a new saddle & top notch shorts.
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    If your now getting pain in the perenium then you may need to consider a seat with a cut out
  • rottitera02
    rottitera02 Posts: 863
    Hi...i had a similar problem and tried a few different saddles with no luck......until i was on the magicshine.co.uk site and came across the RIDO saddle.i decided to give it a go and what a difference, i can now ride for hours with no discomfort whatsoever, and for thirty odd quid it woudn't have been to much of a loss if it didn't do the trick but i was pleasantly surprised with the Rido saddle and would highly reccomend it to anyone.
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • kingrollo
    Hi...i had a similar problem and tried a few different saddles with no luck......until i was on the magicshine.co.uk site and came across the RIDO saddle.i decided to give it a go and what a difference, i can now ride for hours with no discomfort whatsoever, and for thirty odd quid it woudn't have been to much of a loss if it didn't do the trick but i was pleasantly surprised with the Rido saddle and would highly reccomend it to anyone.

its no looker though is it ?
  • rottitera02
    rottitera02 Posts: 863
    kingrollo wrote:

You are correct in that statement but comfort is a much more valid issue to looks.....especially when you've got yer ar*e sat on it !!!!!
    2001 Cove Stiffee FR
    Trek liquid 10
    Dolan Hercules Carbon
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo wrote:

You are correct in that statement but comfort is a much more valid issue to looks.....especially when you've got yer ar*e sat on it !!!!!

only kidding - lol

Absolutley - I have damaged my backside big time - at the moment sitting in an arm chair makes my arse hurt - but for £25 - I might well get one of these if\when things improve.