Hike-a-bike

Big_Ads
Big_Ads Posts: 140
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Alright chaps - got a bit of a hike a bike day coming up and wondered if anyone had any advice on how to carry the bike? I saw the recent article that said hang it on your backpack however my pack will be quite small (Camelback Lobo). Anyone got any decent suggestions, bodges that they use for padding?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Big_Ads
    cooldad wrote:
    Ride it.

Lol that would be the intention for most of it but some of it is unrideable - its not a trail centre it's a mountain pass........
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    I tend to hang the nose of the saddle over my shoulder.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    big hike a bike days....

yes....i know them well...

the short answer is rest the non-driveside of seat tube on shoulder, holding left hand grip in right hand and nose of saddle in left hand....

The closer the bottom bracket is to your neck, the more balanced you and the bike will be....

i find the hardest bit is putting the bike back down, as it inevitably snags on backpack etc....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    cee wrote:
    the short answer is rest the non-driveside of seat tube on shoulder, holding left hand grip in right hand and nose of saddle in left hand....

This

It gets tiring pretty quickly though, there isn't an easy way to carry a bike. Hypothetically, you could take off the front wheel, hook the forks through your back pack and drag it along like a one-wheeled tralier behind you... Not tried this though :shock:
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Depends on the bike dunnit?
    I only buy bikes I can shoulder ie carry top tube on my shoulder(covered in pipe lagging/foam) holding onto forks with nearside pedal/crank resting on hip.
    Otherwise it is the uncomfortable,to me, across the shoulders/neck/camelback technique or just push and shove as best you can.
  • Big_Ads
    Cheers for all the tips folks! Ended up pushing most of the bits I couldn't ride, managed the day fine. I tried hooking the saddle over the shoulder and it worked a little, unfortunately the frame I have doesn't let me do it the other way...

edited for speeling
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    I know this is a bit late, but...

The rear shock on my bike is positioned under the top tube and it isn't possible to get your shoulder into the front triangle. So, I took a padded strap off an old camera case and attached one end to the seat tube (beneath the top tube join) and the other to the stem. The strap then sits on my shoulder with the top tube under my armpit. It works reasonably well and is quite stable, but I wouldn't like to do it for a long time.