camera tripods

Rich9
Rich9 Posts: 1,635
edited July 2011 in The hub
My Dad wants a tripod for his Olympus DSLR for his birthday but I nowt about cameras etc.
Found this on Pixmania website http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/4178735/art/hama/profil-duo-ii-tripod.html

my question is; is the tripod attachment on cameras universal, so any tripod will fit, and is the Hama product any good?

ta for looking
2014 Whyte T-129S

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you mean the attachment as in the shoe that slots in to the head of the tripod, then no, they do differ.

But the shoe attaches to the camera with a bolt. That bolt is pretty universal. I think there are two sizes of bolt, but the larger is by far the most common.

I'm sure that tripod will fit your dads camera. Looks pretty good to.
  • Anonymous
    I'm a bit out of touch with tripods. But I remember a few years back the higher end Jessops own brand tripods got great reviews and were very well priced.
  • Anonymous
    The higher end Jessops one were basically rebadged Giottos ones, if I remember correctly.
    Or Giottos IS jessops. something like that.

Don't know anything about that Hama tripod, but it is a respected name. Their filters are very highly regarded.
  • Rich9
    Found out his camera isn't a Olympus :oops: it's a Pentax K-x. I've done a bit of digging but can't find what type of tripod attachment it has. Any help anywhere??
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Anonymous
    99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999993% of cameras have the same tripod thread.
    It is exceedingly rare that you will find anything different.
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    Do you know what kind of photography your father likes to make?

Certain tripod features are a benefit for some types of photography.

For example for shooting macros sometimes the tripod needs to be quite low in the ground and in a strange angle, in order to get the camera as close to the subject as possible.

If he likes doing nature and landscape photos in windy conditions then a hook in the central column is welcome so he can hang some weight on it in order to make it more stable.

I'm not by any lenght an expert on this, and there are far more experienced (and professional) photographers on the forum, so take these opinions with a grain of salt. 8)
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    the only time you will find the smaller tripod mounting screw is one some telephoto lenses and laser range finders etc, Cameras all use a UNC 1/4"-20 blot and its become the industry atandard so you shouldnt have a problem.

When it comes to tripods, think carefully about what he will use it for, there is no point spending big cash on a tripod thats for pro's doing portraits etc. The lighter the better as you dad is more likely to take it with him everywhere.

I use one of these
    Manfrotto Modo 785b - expensive but i was given it for a present, but a similar one of the same quality is this one

Velbon CX

the velbon stuff is well made and will last a while

also have you thought about getting him a gorilla pod? my sister has been working as a pro for about 20 years and she now swears by it as it is small and good for a lot of things. there are two for DSLRs

focus a bit of a bling purchase
    focus good to sling in your bag and go anywhere!

Hope this helps
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Just got this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000WXD16/r ... B0000WXD16

Pretty big to carry, and doesnt go very low (I have a gorrilla pod for that, anyways) but it's very well made, very solid, and extends to be pretty freaking huge.

Has a good, solid hook, a ratchet extender-bit and a QR plate.

Killer price too!

Stoked so far.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I got one of those Josh!
  • Anonymous
    I'd be wary of getting a tripod too cheap without seeing it first. I borrowed a mate's Argos special for a shot where I needed two cameras. Frankly, his tripod was just not up to the job, it was far too flimsy and wobbly for any longer exposure shots - which made it practically worthless for it's purpose.
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    With tripods you generally get what you pay for. Cheap ones are seldom up to the job.

Re brands, Gitzo are probably the best money can buy.
    If they are beyond budget, check out Fiesol - a Korean product which is 90% of a Gitzo at half the price. (I bought a carbon one a few years ago and have been very happy with it for medium weight camera & lens. It travels well)
    Following that look at Manfrotto and Giottos - both are decent and do the job.
    Personally I'd avoid Velbon, Hama, Jessops, etc.

Whatever the tripod, make sure you get the right size and design for the weight of the camera and lens, and the type of use it will be put to. Too big and heavy will not get used, too small and flimsy will be frustrating . . .
    If its going to travel, compact helps - like three legs sections means it collapses shorter (but is a liitle heavier).
    If you can, try for carbon fibre - for all the usual reasons - rigid, lightweight, fairly tough

Re the camera mount - it should have a strong quick-release. Manfrotto are usually quite good in this respect.
    For Gitzo & Fiesol tripods you need to buy a head and QR mount separately, and that's another whole minefield of options. Gitzo are good, other excellent brands are Markins and Kirk.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • Anonymous
    Sicne he's buying for his dad, I think we can safely rule out, Gitzo, as well as Manfrotto, or any other properly boutique brands.
    Hell, even HALF the price of Gitzo is out of reach, realistically.
    As is Carbon.
  • Rich9
    £50ish is my limit. I would ahve thought i could get something half decent for that :?:
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Anonymous
    Rich9, you CAN get something half decent for that. Ignore Delta's dick-swinging "how many top names can I think of" contest.
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    Take a look at the Velbon Sherpa tripod, you could probably find one of them for 50, if not a tiny bit more. I bought one a few years ago and it's still going strong. Good tripod, I don't know why Delta suggested you stay away from Velbon, they make quality tripods, they just don't cost the earth
  • Rich9
    Ive ordered one from the Manfrotto Compact range. £49.95 + postage.

thanks for your input and dick-swining :wink:
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Anonymous
    Good choice. Manfrottos are generally well made.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Get him one of the mini pod thimgs too! They are ace!
  • Rich9
    supersonic wrote:
    Get him one of the mini pod thimgs too! They are ace!

i'll get him one of those for Christmas :wink: it'll be good for holidays etc
    2014 Whyte T-129S