Oh Canada...

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
I thought that doe-eyed drooling 'royal' worship was restricted to the forelock tuggers in these septic isles, how depressing to see the disease spread to a nation who ought to know better.

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Cressers wrote:
    I thought that doe-eyed drooling 'royal' worship was restricted to the forelock tuggers in these septic isles, how depressing to see the disease spread to a nation who ought to know better.

As a former Canadian - I have to whole heartedly agree!

But you have to remember that they aren't subjected to it on a daily basis over there and don't have the chance to get as sick of it as we do over here.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I suggest that there are some people over there going OTT and those are the ones you see.
    The majority don't care one way or the other.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pokerface wrote:
    But you have to remember that they aren't subjected to it on a daily basis over there and don't have the chance to get as sick of it as we do over here.

How are you subjected to it on a daily basis? I haven't been subjected to any Royal stuff since the wedding!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pokerface
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

How are you subjected to it on a daily basis? I haven't been subjected to any Royal stuff since the wedding!

Yeah - what about the years/months leading UP to the wedding!?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pokerface wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

It wasn't actually announced years before (though I can see why you might have felt that it was :lol: ).

I would recommend just changing channels - you are safe on most of the freeview channels as all they show is repeats so any Royal stuff will be easy to spot!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pokerface
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

It wasn't actually announced years before (though I can see why you might have felt that it was :lol: ).

I would recommend just changing channels - you are safe on most of the freeview channels as all they show is repeats so any Royal stuff will be easy to spot!

I meant the two of them in general. Before they were engaged, they were dating. And then they weren't. And then they were again.

TV, newspapers, internet - it's everywhere.

But yes - I managed to (mostly) avoid it. But when they give you a day off work for the wedding - it generates even more chat about it!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I don't recall being subjected to it. It's around, it's headline links on The Telegraph web site most of the time these days but no-one shouts at me and makes read it; it's just there to be looked at if I fancy it. BBC News has hardly gone overboard with it, but then I don't see theirs or much other TV news much so again, am not subjected to it.

If some people are pleased to see the future King, future Head Of State, and his pleasantly attractive wife on a glad-handing trip to a country that is part of the Commonwealth, good luck to them. If you don't like it, look away now, as we say.

Being in a constitutional monarchy does have some benefits when to comes to head of state, mainly that it's not Blair, and also that regardless of who is the current incumbent (and the present one is doing a damn fine job at it tbh), that person isn't someone who represents the political views or a party that I vehemently dislike and vote against. At least this way we know who it is, we know that he or she will be a pretty harmless but popular titular HoS but with none of the power and with it the more disagreeable aspects of the human character that tend to come with that power.

Keep it up Wills. You're doing a fine job, whatever that job may be. :)
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    It's a bit like the TdF really. Those who like cycling and have the chance to go, turn up and cheer. The Royals are the same, kids get a half-day off, everybody is happy. The numbers are not always so great should the camera pan back :oops:
    The older I get the faster I was