edited July 2011 in Pro race
calling leopard ( as in big cat)trek

LEY-O-PARD trek

i want to kill tem :evil:
'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'

Comments

• cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Could be worse, On Eurosport Dave keeps asking carlton for expert opinion :(
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150

LEY-O-PARD trek

That's how is meant to be said according to the team - they even sent out a daft e-mail make sure everyone knew).

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/news-and-c ... pard-trek/
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665

LEY-O-PARD trek

"In spoken communication, please use the appropriate pronunciation: LAY-oh-pard Trek."

That is why they are paid pro's and you are an arm chair whinger

:wink:
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    edited July 2011
    If I hear Sherwin one more time say after a crash 'thats why you need to cycle at the front of the peleton, all these accidents happen at the back'...

aye sure....as if thats possible for nearly 200 riders - not!!!!
  • Gaspard
    Gaspard Posts: 8
    Liggett has already done his 'little Tommy Voeckler" bit but so far I've not heard who's 'big...' yet.

Just waiting for the ritual homily against Vino then I will switch to Belgian TV.
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    Ritual abuse against Vino is fine by me. Cheat.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Scrumple wrote:

LEY-O-PARD trek

"In spoken communication, please use the appropriate pronunciation: LAY-oh-pard Trek."

That is why they are paid pro's and you are an arm chair whinger

:wink:

i dont care, theyre meant to be speaking english not cod french!!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    If I hear Sherwin one more time say after a crash 'thats why you need to cycle at the front of the peloton, all these accidents happen at the back'...

aye sure....as if thats possible for nearly 200 riders - not!!!!

There you go!!! :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    sherwan managed to get a LA ref in!!!
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Gaspard
    Gaspard Posts: 8
    AlunP

Well in that case Big George should get it from Liggett following recent disclosures.
  • Love them both national treasures in my opinion, and Paul even got to make a reference praising the french revolution today
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited July 2011

LEY-O-PARD trek

and it's not "Europcar", it's "Oooh-op-car" for some reason?
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Considering that Liggett has been involved with cycling for longer than I've known what a bike is and Sherwen was a French based pro I think it's terrible how badly they pronounce the "foreign" names of riders. Watched a couple of documentaries narrated by them and neither of them could even pronounce Bernard Hinault's name properly. Oooh, it makes my blood boil :)
  • 'These seasoned professionals' and 'in the sport of professional cycling' continued from Sherwin. It's annoying being talked down by them, but I guess they're catering for those who only watch in July.
  • I can put up with Ligwin/Sherget but please, please, please ITV stop the Chris Boredom Halfords voice overs at every ad break!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    please ITV stop the Chris Boredom Halfords voice overs at every ad break!

I loved the bit on the advert about how the Boardman was "born on the tour". I don't think any of the teams have ever ridden one though, odd that.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    unixnerd wrote:
    please ITV stop the Chris Boredom Halfords voice overs at every ad break!

I loved the bit on the advert about how the Boardman was "born on the tour". I don't think any of the teams have ever ridden one though, odd that.

The advert doesn't say that they are used in the tour. So what's odd?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    "born on the tour" is certainly meant to make it sound like the bike's been used on the tour.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Not really - just inspired by. And it isn't as though they aren't used by Pro teams.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    I can put up with Ligwin/Sherget but please, please, please ITV stop the Chris Boredom Halfords voice overs at every ad break!

Yea, the Boardman bike ad's are getting tedious. Thought they would have changed them from the tour series to the TdF. Bring back fags and booze ad's please. :)
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Matty Goss
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Berny Eisel
  • Sherwens little historical asides are already beginning to grate
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I know he is much maligned on here (by me too!), but credit where credit is due. I thought Kirby did a good job commentating from the Paris bunker when they lost the feed from Harmon and "the Irishman".
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    mroli wrote:
    I know he is much maligned on here (by me too!), but credit where credit is due. I thought Kirby did a good job commentating from the Paris bunker when they lost the feed from Harmon and "the Irishman".

Certainly better than Phil's "he's a long way out.. got about 500m to go.. and there's the 150m board!"

Strava is not Zen.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    What happened to liggget?

Only heard him for a short while but did not see him ?
    FCN 3/5/9
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Which one was the idiot that said that French department numbers start at 1 in Paris and spiral up from there?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Rolf F wrote:
    Not really - just inspired by. And it isn't as though they aren't used by Pro teams.

Got to agree with Unixnerd here. If you were "Born on the Bayou" but had never been anywhere near the Mississippi I would say that you were not being somewhat disingenuous!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I guess Boardman's logic would be that they were inspired by his time riding in the tour. Yes, it's probably a bit disingenious, but less so than many other advertisers claims!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    mroli wrote:

I thought that when he did the impression of Alan Bennett it was commentating genius. Harmon LOL'd. Also like the 3 of them together actually, Harmon and Kelly chatting about the race and then Kirby saying 'can i just interject to tell you about this chateau?' I don't think it would be Le Tour without commentators telling you about the numerous chateux and things.