Black Rat North Devon

Gooner69
Gooner69 Posts: 97
Black Rat North Devon - 11th September

If you couldnt get entry to the Dartmoor Classic, or were entering another event that was cancelled come along for the ride to see what our route offers.

Prior to the Bristol sportive that was held in May, we organised a couple of taster rides for people to get a chance to try out parts of the course and to get used to riding with a group of people. They proved to be an enormous success, with about 40 riders joining us for the second ride.

We will be holding a taster ride on the North Devon course on Saturday 2nd July. Anyone who would like to come along and join us is welcome.

We will start the ride at Lobb Fields Caravan and Camping Park in Braunton, where the event HQ will be in September. We will ride a 45 mile route that will take in some of the early climbs that you will ride in the sportive. We will then head back inland from the coast and skirt the edge of Exmoor before returning to Braunton. We will stop at a cafe during the course of the ride.

The pace will be dictated by you, the riders. We will have several people helping us who will be happy to ride with people of all fitness levels and abilities. What we found when we held the Bristol taster rides was that faster riders usually went off at their own pace and waited at strategic points for slower riders, meaning that everyone got to the cafe and finish together. this worked really well.

So if you fancy coming along to test your legs, please feel free to do so. There is no charge but do bring a few pounds for a coffee stop.

We will leave Lobb Fields at 9.30am sharp and probably return around 1.30 pm. If you are interested in coming along, can you please drop us a mail to entries@blackratcycle.co.uk so we know how many to expect!

Comments

• Gooner69
    Oh, all welcome. Not only riders who are gonna enter the event.
  • Doing the reigate sportive this weekend ,will you be doing the route any other time?
    Thanks Rick
    Taunton
  • Gooner69
    yes Rick, off to the Pyrenees to do some riding and tdf watching first tho.

Will bump the thread for the next taster ride.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Thanks guys. Twas a good day. It is a stunning route. See you in September.
  • Gooner69
    Glad you enjoyed yourself :) I had a great ride and my legs are certainly letting me know this morning :oops:

Hope to see you all again in August for another section 8)
  • vs
    It gave me the taste to have another go on another beautiful morning...

So I've just got in from doing the full route, albeit from Lynmouth.

When we were talking about the routes hard climbs I'd forgotten about Windball (very steep) Hill that gets you up on to the Ridge Road.

All I know right now is that Buzzacott and Hunters Inn back to back are blo*dy tough with the best part of 100 miles in the legs. (when you start in Lynmouth).
  • Gooner69
    vs wrote:
    It gave me the taste to have another go on another beautiful morning...

So I've just got in from doing the full route, albeit from Lynmouth.

When we were talking about the routes hard climbs I'd forgotten about Windball (very steep) Hill that gets you up on to the Ridge Road.

All I know right now is that Buzzacott and Hunters Inn back to back are blo*dy tough with the best part of 100 miles in the legs. (when you start in Lynmouth).

:shock: Thats nails mate! fair play to you. I struggled on a flat local loop this morning.

Windball Hill is ace, when you hit the top section and see the hairpins it tests your resolve for sure!! You must have been able to see across to Dartmoor today :)
  • vs
    Gooner69 wrote:
    You must have been able to see across to Dartmoor today :)

Yep, you could see forever, it was really beautiful up there today; I always find something to love about the moor whatever the weather. :D
  • Gooner69
    Hi everyone,
    Just a quick update on Dave who crashed yesterday :(

The hospital kept him in overnight because of the concussion and he also has a fractured thumb and a fractured ball end on his humerous (where it joins the shoulder/collarbone). Oh and a nice black eye.
    He seems if fairly good spirits though so hopefully he will be fine soon.

A few riders turned up without letting me know by e-mail yesterday so I don’t have everyone’s e-mail address to hand, so if you see any of them, can you pass on the news and also our thanks to you and them for coming along and making it such an enjoyable ride.

I’ll drop you a line about the next ride which will be in August.
    Thanks again for coming along.
    Cheers

J & T
  • Gooner69
    Details of next route "taster" as follows:-

Join us for a taster ride on Saturday 6th August! Starting at Simonsbath (in the NT car park) at 9.30am, we will ride 45 miles taking in some of the far end of the 100 mile course and returning to Simonsbath. We plan a cafe stop on the way! As previously all riders are welcome to come along.

This is a social ride, catering for all levels of rider. A very good way of getting an idea of your current fitness level, whilst seeing some fantastic views and great roads.

Hope to see you there.

Tony
  • Gooner69
    Update on yesterdays ride for those that took part.

Firstly it was hard! Proper hard! We had an ongoing banter going about "the last hill" for a long time towards the end. Which tells me that everyone was feeling the Exmoor strain and not just us Bristolians.

Chris has recovered from his tumble without any major injuries and assured me he was consuming many pints of "recovery" drink last night :wink:

Thanks to the guys for coming along, even if you didnt have time to stay the full distance, still good to meet you all. Finally quedos to the faster guys who ripped it up the climbs, towed us along the flats (were their any?) and waited patiently for everyone to catch up as agreed.

We had a great ride, even the weather was mostly kind.

See you all in Sept

Tony