(Rep)rise of the idiots

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
I started a thread on 'Merkin politics/the Tea Party a while back, but either the forum search is useless or it's fallen off of the internets.

Anyway, could someone read this and tell me whether it's satire or not - I'm losing the ability to distinguish the difference. Either way, it's good for a laugh.

Ta.
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• I think the writer is trying to say with humour that it's serious, if you know what I mean. Or that a good number of bigots seriously believe in Bachmann, at least. And that the only way of dealing with it is not to pretend it's not happening but is to say out loud that, yes, it's laughably stupid and it's happening.

Ok, I said ''I think'' at the beginning, what I really mean is ''I hope....''
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Rolling Stone are always pretty heavy handed with their satire - some of it borders on ranting!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    It's not satire, it's a warning.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Sh*t, now I'm worried. That's the kind of person the US will let get their hands on the button?
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Matt Taibi has a very "soundbite-happy" style (he called Goldman Sachs the "a giant vampire squid with it's blood funnel on the face of humanity) but the article is all factual.

Michele Bachmann is certainly a serious challenger for the Republican Party nomination, so the article is by no means satire.
    <a>road</a>
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It, they, she are probably more of a threat than muslim fundamentalism.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    She's another Tea Party religious nut case. I think that the article used the term "Bat Shit Crazy".
    She's just at the other end of the spectrum to the muslim fundamentalists.

She may be legally and financially qualified up to the eyeballs, but that career is constrained by rules, and regulations. Becoming president of the U-Sah meand she isn't (so much). Religion and Politics should be kept seperate (especially when a simpleton is involved), but you just know that she won't be able to do it !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    What I find curious is their enthusiasm for the original constitution.

So that's slavery and no votes for women, then
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • What I find curious is their enthusiasm for the original constitution.

So that's slavery and no votes for women, then

There are times (i.e post-Palinontology) when no votes for women starts to become quite an acceptable notion.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Bozman wrote:
    It, they, she are probably more of a threat than muslim fundamentalism.
    The threat is fundamentalism full stop. It dosen't matter whether it's religeous, political ior philosophical ideology, blind faith and an ego that tells you that everything you're doing is a fundamental good whether anyone wants it or not, tends to lead to horrors.

Fundamentalism, it seems to me, goes hand in hand with paranoia and delusions of grandeur.

These feckers scare the crap put of me.

(You'll know when the crap's been scared out of me when my user name changes to 'Aud')
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Crapaud wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

(You'll know when the crap's been scared out of me when my user name changes to 'Aud')

That's odd!

-Spider-