I think I need to regrease my Shimano SPD pedals...

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited July 2011 in Workshop
They've been making a clicking noise lately and I've noticed that the point at which the spindle screws into the body of the pedal is quite dry compared to my other pair which has copious grease oozing from it.

Am I right in thinking that a regular re-grease of the spindle is needed for these types of pedals or is the lack evidence of any remaining lube is a more fundamental problem?

It looks to me like all I have to do is unscrew the spindle using the special Shimano tool and pack in some new grease then reassemble. Before I buy the tool though, am I on the right track here?

(I'm not sure exactly what model they are - cheapish ones for about £35)

Comments

• mac111051
    mac111051 Posts: 92
    Before you spend money on a tool, you can get new 520,s for about £17 is it worth bothering repairing them
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    The tool only costs £4 and I already have a tub of grease.
  • I had the same clicking sound and it was driving me nuts. I bought the tool and re-greased but it made no difference whatsoever. I bought some new 520s for about 20 quid and they've been great.
  • drays
    drays Posts: 119
    my m520 spds developed a bit of play in the spindles. I bought the tool, adjusted the bearings and filled with grease before reassembly, and they're now good as new.
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • drays wrote:
    my m520 spds developed a bit of play in the spindles. I bought the tool, adjusted the bearings and filled with grease before reassembly, and they're now good as new.

+1
  • drays wrote:

+1