Knee cartilage damage recovery

dabbleonabike
dabbleonabike Posts: 119
Hi all,

I have done in the outer cartilage on my left knee and I'm on anti infallamatorys and wearing a knee support. Does anybody have any ideas if theres aything else I can be doing to aid recovery of my knee, would massaging or keeping it elevated help?
The doctor gave me 3 weeks worth of pills and said to go back if it doesnt get better but its turd not being able to ride, especially with the grand weather we've been having. I may have to sneak out for a quick cheeky blast, just to keepy my eye in tha knows.

Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It may suck to not be able to ride, but for god's sake rest it. If you keep sneaking out "to keep your eye in", it will mean your knee takes a hell of a lot longer to heal.
  • Gigglepin
    Gigglepin Posts: 9
    Currently in the same possition. Dont Massage it, I've been told this increases bloodflow to the area, which is a bad thing with Ligaments/joints.
    Ice, elevation and rest are the only things really. A support helps too.
    I was told between 4-6 weeks for it to be right, 10 weeks in and I still cant run up the stairs and its still swollen.

Sad times :(
  • 10 weeks! :( I hope that doesn't happen with me, I feel your pain though man. I'll try the ice thing tonight, I also got told about a supplement called Glucosamine Sulphate by a friend of mine, he knows a dude whos 40 and still skateboarding and he swears by it so i'm gonna get me some of that. apparently it aids in cartilage and joint maintenance and repair.

Yeeha, I'm gonna stay of it, legs up and as much rest for it as possible, I'm gonna try be sensible- theres a first for everything!
  • I did mine back in Feb, it took 3 months before i could ride MTB's, due to allt he twisting forces going through said knee, massive pain in berms and off camber stuff, Weirdly (or not) roading was fine, 5 miles odd at first, then 10, then 20. In and around North london. All the stop, starts seemed to have helped.
    All that time off got my bike in ship shape condition ready for whenever i was ready to hammer them again.... which turned out to be half way through May....

Good luck, with the recovery
    You know your a Cyclist when a surgeon tells you you need a heart valve replacement and you ask if you have a choice between Presta and Schrader.